IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the guys at Induction Motorsports were able to do some back to back dyno pulls on a 1994 Supra Twin Turbo (Single conversion)

First Pull, they ran just ordinary 92 Octane, 17-18psi, they put down 400 HP to the rear wheels.

Second pull, they took 32 oz of our Race Fuel Concentrate (Unleaded), and added it to about 10 gallons of 92 Octane, ran 17-18psi, The car put down 413 HP to the wheels.

Granted, I wasn't that impressed myself... but at the same time, 13hp is 13 hp. Some guys replace whole exhaust systems and air intakes for that power ... we just had 32oz of fluid added to normal gas.

There is a comparison graph on our website (from the dyno data) http://www.need4speedpower.com

Yesterday, Induction Motorsports did another back to back comparison.

Same Car, still had about 3 gallons of the mixed 92 octane, with the Unleaded Fuel concentrate. They upped the boost to 19psi. The car put down 439rwhp

Next pull, they poured 5 gallons of C-16 - 117MON Octane Race Fuel, the $7.00+ per gallon stuff ... at the same 19psi, the car put down 448 rwhp

OK, so the Race Fuel Concentrate is certainly not as great as C-16. By the dyno results, the concentrate is definitely capable of putting some real power to the ground. All in a 32oz can, that you can carry around easily in your trunk.

The new Dyno results will be up on my website in the next few days. In the meatime, check out the site .... http://www.need4speedpower.com and purchase online!

Many thanks to the guys at Induction Motorsports http://www.inductionmotorsports.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
In reading this it seems to be suggested that the octain boosting solution you offer in fact adds horsepower, and this is definatly not the case. Higher octain will never make a single minute bit of power past what your ECU is capable of, through ignition timing. With most ppl on these boards running stock ECUs there would be no power gain using race gas.

Not that high octain gasoline does not have its benifits, in an engine like the supra, or any turbocharged engine with a boost controller and an aftermarket engine manegment computer you can run high boost and custom timing, risking detonation the further you push the engine. With high end racing gas (leaded gas in particular) the risk of detonation is reduced....Im rambling on but for those putting serious mods into their STi's such as juice or a bigger turbo+computer I suggest propain injection. Its very simple, trick, and yeilds an octain of 105 in the cyl. For short bursts only of course. :lol:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Polish_STi said:
In reading this it seems to be suggested that the octain boosting solution you offer in fact adds horsepower, and this is definatly not the case. Higher octain will never make a single minute bit of power past what your ECU is capable of, through ignition timing. With most ppl on these boards running stock ECUs there would be no power gain using race gas.

Not that high octain gasoline does not have its benifits, in an engine like the supra, or any turbocharged engine with a boost controller and an aftermarket engine manegment computer you can run high boost and custom timing, risking detonation the further you push the engine. With high end racing gas (leaded gas in particular) the risk of detonation is reduced....Im rambling on but for those putting serious mods into their STi's such as juice or a bigger turbo+computer I suggest propain injection. Its very simple, trick, and yeilds an octain of 105 in the cyl. For short bursts only of course. :lol:
I'm not sure where you're getting that from, the fact that it does not add horsepower .... It in fact does.

Any car with variable ignition timing (one that uses it's own 02 sensor, and other variables to dictate ignition advance) Like the WRX, STi, MKIV Supra etc... will indeed gain horsepower on the factory ecu, with factory boost.

It's simple, the ecu advances ignition timing when it sees that there is no knock (due to higher octane gas). As soon as it sees knock, it backs off a little. Plain and simple. So indeed, on a car with that type of setup from the factory, you will gain some sort of horsepower.

Of course the added benefit, is that you are supposed to also be able to "up the boost" with a race gas, and gain even more power ........(with proper engine management etc...)

This product isn't for everyone .... but it sure beats the heck out of the 92 octane I get here.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Almost....but not quite

That's what we have proved with the dyno results on that supra, going from 92 octane to the race fuel concentrate... nothing else was changed and they were dong back to back.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We should be getting more stock of this product by the beginning of next week. Unless the manufacturer slows production for some reason.

We also have a total "hydrocarbon" type fuel additive that definitely helps lower egt's, and have a more complete combustion which nets better gas mileage. I've ran it in my 02 WRX for over 1.5 years ...

http://www.need4speedpower.com/gtafuel.html

·
Registered
136 Posts
how about giving us a small discount or incentive to try your products? i mean i'm willing to give it a shot but 13.50 for a bottle to give me 104 octane when i can get about 3 gallons of race gas for that price... and when i race i don't want to race on 10 gallons... thats extra weight.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We will be offering some sort of incentive ... I have to wait to get my new shipment though ....

Remember, $13.50, for 10 gallons..... you don't have to use the whole can ... for instance, you could use half of it (16 oz) to 5 gallons then? Save the rest for the next track day!

I have some customers, like myself, who use it daily, just to bump octane up over 94, to assure no pinging, etc..... (I can't get any better than 92 here in Omaha, and even that is only available at like 6 gas stations) (Amoco's)

·
Registered
12 Posts
or you can make your own: ;)

FORMULA 1
Toulene
R+M/2...114
Cost...$2.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...94.2 Octane
20%...96.4 Octane
30%...98.6 Octane
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.
FORMULA 2
Xylene
R+M/2...117
Cost...$2.75/gal
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...97.0 Octane
30%...99.5 Octane
Notes: Similar to Toulene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toulene and advertised as *race formula*.

FORMULA 3
Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2...118
Cost...$3.50/gal
10%...94.6 Octane
20%...97.2 Octane
30%...99.8 Octane
Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toulene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.

FORMULA 4
Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2...101
Cost...$0.60 - $1.75/gal
10%...94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...Not Recommended
Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combines with water.

FORMULA 5
Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2...101
Cost...$0.60-$1.50/gal
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...Not Recommended
30%...Not Recommended
Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.

MAKE YOUR OWN OCTANE BOOST
How to make your own octane booster (this is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products). To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):

100 oz of toulene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)

This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.

Disclaimer: this intellectual property is offered to GN/TType owners at no charge. Use it at your own risk. The GN/TType Organization is is not responsible for any damage or problems associated with use of this information. This information is for use by GN/TType owners on their own personal vehicles and may not be used for profit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts