IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well on my way to work today the R.diff temp light came on. It was weird though cause the light wasen't that bright and it was flickering on and off. Also the longer i drove the less the light would come on untill it finally stay off. Is the normal operation for this light or do i have a shorted sensor? Also what do i do for checking this out and what could be wrong?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
you should check your rear diff and see if the sensor is busted up, wires frayed, etc. You should also make sure the diff doesn't have any obviouos problems, like leaking and what not.

Either the sensor is shot or your diff is in fact overheating. The sensor is easy to break when replacing the diff fluid - has someone done this on your car recently?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I wonder if it might be low on fluid. With it flickering it sounds like the fluid level might be right at the point of setting the sensor off. Perhaps as it get's hotter, the fluid expands just enough to not set the sensor off?

Just a thought tho.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Its most likely the ground wire connection mine was corroded and did the same thing as yours.

on the gd its on the right side of the diff you will see a wire loom that looks like it goes up into the diff mount

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the tips the dif has never been touched. 37000 miles. When i got home the other day i looked at the dif. It was warm to the touch but not hot, and i didn,t see any leaks. I with u guys i think its a ground or just barly low. What is the fill level for the dif

Thank u
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but...
I have a brand new type RA. 2k on the clock. Did my first track day with it yesterday. Every session, 20min in, the R. Diff Temp light came on steady. I immediately came in to pit, and let it cool. It was fine again on the next session until 20min in.

No question, I was driving it pretty damn hard and under higher than normal stress. HOWEVER, I was previously running my '17 STI at the same track, never had this issue.

Any insight? Should I have Subaru take a look to see if it's the sensor? It makes sense that it would come on when the oil is obviously heating up and responds appropriately to cool down. BUT, this car is supposedly more track focused than my stock STI from last year. I really don't think this is the absolute limit for this car. If it is, I made a poor choice in track car.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Mine flickers after I wash the car and or when I first drive... then as it warms up the light goes away.

I have checked the ground and that appears fine. I even sanded the corrosion off and use dielectric grease. Still have the same problem. I know my diff fluid isn't low because I checked and filled it to make sure.

I guess it could be the sensor but at $150 I'm hesitant to just replace it if I experience the same thing.

My defi EGT gauge reads all wonky after I wash the car, then a few hours later works perfectly fine..lol

-Nigel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts