IW STi Forum banner

61 - 80 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm sure it's true to a certain degree that you're going to add noise when you de-restrict the exhaust to make more power. But honestly 10 hp in the grand scheme of things is not worth it to me. If it's so restrictive that throttle response is terrible etc okay that's one thing, but if we're just talking about gaining a small amount of power I'd rather cut down on the noise a bit. I guess there's always the Maddad Whisper but some even say "whisper" is a misnomer for that exhaust :-/
I had that exhaust before and it was the best I had -- they still don't have a true 15+ fitment last I checked though -- don't even know if they're still around despite the website being up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Anyone welded in an additional resonator (or 2) to an aftermarket exhaust? I had R400 on my car for 1 day before I sold it, but I was tempted to weld in a Vibrant resonator to try to calm the boomy drone. If I didn’t have a local buyer with cash in hand, I might have tried it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Corsa is the quietest cruising exhaust I have heard, and I have had 3 exhaust on my car, and probably have heard 8 in person.

I am mainly referring to cruising and normal driving (not full throttle)

It's much quieter than the Cobb I had which was pretty bassy and really got into the cabin, especially around 2400 rpm.

It's the tone and frequencies that are tuned not to be annoying and cause drone or bassy exhaust notes.

The best part is even though it is not obtrusive, the sound is super aggressive and airy, and IMO sounds better than any exhaust you can buy for our cars.

Lastly, if you want even quieter and less "drone" for aftermarket exhaust, don't buy a dual exhaust. Something happens in the Y, and creates extra sound that gets into the cabin. It slightly changes the tone and seems to be louder at around 2-3k with the y in the mix.

I actually had the Y pipe welded as if I am running a single exhaust but left everything else in place, so I technically have a Corsa single, lol.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quiet cruising exhaust is exactly what I want. The Corsa seems to have almost no bass to it at all, which is nice. How is it cruising with a catless downpipe?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Quiet cruising exhaust is exactly what I want. The Corsa seems to have almost no bass to it at all, which is nice. How is it cruising with a catless downpipe?
If "quiet" cruise is what you want, Corsa is pretty much the only option. But don't get a catless downpipe. There really are not many advantages.

With that said, no turboback is quiet on these cars.

If I had to do it all over again, here is what I would do, and I have no scientific evidence to support my theory, but the Y pipe messes the sound up and added noise all in the wrong place.

Buy a single exit tame exhaust like the Q300 (comes out the right side), and be done with it.

The Q300 DUAL and SINGLE do not sound the same, and it's b/c of the Y pipe. If you actually look at any other performance car, none of them do the Y crap. They use a single large muffler section with piping coming out on each end-- much like the GR hatches.

To this day, the absolute best muffler (exhaust) I have heard is the APexi WS2. It in incredible sounding, super aggressive and mean, but really quiet, when you want it to be. It's simply the best of both worlds. Nothing even comes close IMO.

The Corsa is a wannabe Apexi, and the tone is actually pretty similar, but Apexi is definitely quieter and sounds way way better on ELH.

I am strongly considering buying the Invidia 300, chopping the muffler off, and buying the Apexi WS2 muffler. It's that good sounding, all while being drone free at any rpm.

Listen here, but of course, the video does not do justice.
Apexi Noir 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero - YouTube
Subaru wrx apexi exhaust - YouTube

I like the sound catted and with a resonator. It can get way too raspy if you go catless and no resonator, and really noticed once you go ELH.

·
Registered
637 Posts
If "quiet" cruise is what you want, Corsa is pretty much the only option. But don't get a catless downpipe. There really are not many advantages.

With that said, no turboback is quiet on these cars.

If I had to do it all over again, here is what I would do, and I have no scientific evidence to support my theory, but the Y pipe messes the sound up and added noise all in the wrong place.

Buy a single exit tame exhaust like the Q300 (comes out the right side), and be done with it.

The Q300 DUAL and SINGLE do not sound the same, and it's b/c of the Y pipe. If you actually look at any other performance car, none of them do the Y crap. They use a single large muffler section with piping coming out on each end-- much like the GR hatches.

To this day, the absolute best muffler (exhaust) I have heard is the APexi WS2. It in incredible sounding, super aggressive and mean, but really quiet, when you want it to be. It's simply the best of both worlds. Nothing even comes close IMO.

The Corsa is a wannabe Apexi, and the tone is actually pretty similar, but Apexi is definitely quieter and sounds way way better on ELH.

I am strongly considering buying the Invidia 300, chopping the muffler off, and buying the Apexi WS2 muffler. It's that good sounding, all while being drone free at any rpm.

Listen here, but of course, the video does not do justice.
Apexi Noir 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero - YouTube
Subaru wrx apexi exhaust - YouTube

I like the sound catted and with a resonator. It can get way too raspy if you go catless and no resonator, and really noticed once you go ELH.

I tried to clarify my previous statement about the split in the exhaust, it does mess with the sound and it's done on purpose:

The problem is the way the T is designed and with the SPT it's intentionally meant to drone and be loud at lower rpm and not be too loud at WOT. The T in the SPT is a 90 degree angle which will reinforce sound with the same wavelength or fractional multiples of the wavelength.

edit: that should read: sound with the same wavelength as length of the exhaust tubing from the cat to the T. The sound at these frequencies is reinforced via constructive interference and you get a bassy drone. This is 100% intentional and imo ridiculous.

The T on the stock exhaust is not a 90 degree angle and it doesn't drone to the same degree vs the SPT. edit: Any discontinuity will reflect sound so the Y will always effect the sound and will always make it bassier, so the shape of the split has a major effect.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You mean Y, NOT T.

I wouldn't worry about degrees and not. The Corsa has nearly a 90 degree as well leading into the right side.

Point being, and I think we both agree, dual exhaust suck on these cars.

Get a single.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Some examples of how my Milltek TB sounds.

Cold Start outside at 1700 rpm idle

movie

Cold Start in car at 1700 rpm idle

movie

1700 rpm idle at 30 ft away

movie

Backing out

movie

Drive by

movie

Driving around (accelerating from 15-50 mph at 3:39 mark. Pretty quiet compared to my old Cobb)

movie

More driving around (sorry, lots of traffic so couldn't really do pulls)

movie
DAMN! I wish someone did this for the cobb catback :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
I put the stock catback on my car with the catless downpipe, and I honestly think it is slightly quieter than stock (in-cabin noise. Pretty sure its louder outside). There is less bass/boom to it. Highway drone is almost non-existent. I'm kinda thinking about adding a Nameless resonated midpipe and keeping the stock mufflers to see how that does.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You mean Y, NOT T.

I wouldn't worry about degrees and not. The Corsa has nearly a 90 degree as well leading into the right side.

Point being, and I think we both agree, dual exhaust suck on these cars.

Get a single.
Been thinking more about this and I think you're onto something. Not many options for a single exit for these cars unfortunately. Either mellon launchers, or the Q300 single, which for some stupid reason comes with a single giant tip instead of dual tips.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Been thinking more about this and I think you're onto something. Not many options for a single exit for these cars unfortunately. Either mellon launchers, or the Q300 single, which for some stupid reason comes with a single giant tip instead of dual tips.

Ya, the Q300 is the only one that makes sense rightnow. But you could always put whatever muffler you want on if you don't like the sound or look.

It's really a shame that a previous GR or GD exhaust doesn't fit. Otherwise, there would many many options, at really afforable prices. Or maybe it does fit, anyone try?

Seems the exhaust has to exit the right side for some reason ton these cars.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Tomei exits left side... it's a really nice exhaust but it's loud. If I could have something just like it but half as loud I'd be happy. If I was to change anything I'd either put a new muffler on it or sell it for a Q300 single and possibly replace the Q300 muffler with something else.

Anyways, the shape of the Y or T does matter a lot, it's the discontinuity that causes the resonance and is the reason the "dual exhaust" has these issues. Corsa and others use Helmholtz or other resonators designed to eliminate the bassy drone sound so in their case the shape of the split doesn't matter as much.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I emailed Maddad last week to see if they have any plans of doing the Whisper exhaust for our cars. Got a reply saying yes, but not until summer of 2018. So thats probably worth waiting for if you want a quiet exhaust.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Tomei exits left side... it's a really nice exhaust but it's loud. If I could have something just like it but half as loud I'd be happy. If I was to change anything I'd either put a new muffler on it or sell it for a Q300 single and possibly replace the Q300 muffler with something else.

Anyways, the shape of the Y or T does matter a lot, it's the discontinuity that causes the resonance and is the reason the "dual exhaust" has these issues. Corsa and others use Helmholtz or other resonators designed to eliminate the bassy drone sound so in their case the shape of the split doesn't matter as much.
You could defintely chop it off and put a new muffler. Is the Tomei the same exaust they sold for the GR and GD, or is it 15 spefcific, like that Q300 is?

The Corsa still has that drone tone a tad b/c of the dual, but less than other exhaust out on the market, but that is not bc of the resonaotr, it's the muffler design. But do what I do, and block off the other side in the y pipe, but welding it shut. So it's the look of the dual.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I got the HKS legamax into my GRB and its amazing. Zero drone and sounds deep not loud.
I disagree. It's deep, and that is what is annoying. Might not be loud, but it is the low frequencies. On ELH, it sounds ok though, but not that great of a tone.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
FWIW stock catback is good up to almost 400 whp (dynojet), costs ~10-15 whp.

With an EWG, you can get away with higher power levels before the stock catback becomes a restriction.

61 - 80 of 150 Posts