IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any Sti owners in Edmonton on this forum?

Well it seems that, even tho I emailed them to cancel my order 2 days before they sent it out, fastwrx.com sent out my Forge BOV. I decided to install it as some people on NASIOC said that it didn't affect gas/run rich/etc and since forge (i was told) got great reviews. So anyways. I got it installed ina bout 5 minutes and I was wondering about some things. It came with 3 springs and like 3 solid washers (they are like discs with a small hole in them)and I was wondering what I used them for? Obviously the springs are light, med, hard (stiffness), but i dont know about the discs. Do I need to install the springs or anything or does the BOV come with a setup already to go in it? Also should I change out the springs to see which would work better (or do you know?) ? or what? I just want this to go smoothly and all. Thanks!

Robert~

also I was thinking... what will happen if the springs are too light or too stiff? Not enough boost pressure being released? too much? thanks!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I took it out for a spin and it seems that it spools up faster - or maybe im just excited or something and it just seems faster - , but when you shift and such it seems to let out the pressure too fast... kinda like a really short burst. I understand its not going to do too much of a burst, but it just seemed really short. Should I put in a stiffer spring? Thanks!

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
also does anyone know the allen hex nut size (or whatever its called)? I've tried like 100 allen wrenches and they are either too big or too small and nothing will fit right (as im trying to open it up and change the spring.

robert~

·
Registered
133 Posts
Those washers are used to adjust your BOV so that it will not leak. once you install it, check the idling of your car, if it idles funny, and not like when it was stock, such as fluctuating then add in a washer. Keep adding in a washer until your car idles normal. Also, its good to have a boost gauge, cause if your not hitting the same amount of boost like you were when you had your stock valve on, then you need to add another washer also. The hex key should of came with the BOV kit. If yours didnt, then you need to call the place you got it from.

T

·
0 Posts
staticx313 said:
also does anyone know the allen hex nut size (or whatever its called)? I've tried like 100 allen wrenches and they are either too big or too small and nothing will fit right (as im trying to open it up and change the spring.
They might be metric sizes.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya i think they are and Im sure I dont have one in the pile of crap I got. Also can you add too many washers? I mean it seems fine and all, but I cant watch that tiny boost gauge each time Im really pushing the boost as I need to watch the road. Its getting colder here at night and the pressure on my body seems a lot more and I dont want to stare at a gauge while trying to drive :\. Anyone have this BOV and what they are using? (washers/spring stiffness?) thanks for your help!

Robert~

·
Registered
133 Posts
you cant really go wrong by adding too much washers. The more washers you add, the tighter it will be to release the air. So if you have 3 washers, and a really stiff spring, then you probably wont get a pressure release unless you go WOT. Its just really preference after you get the right amount of washers in. For example, i know some folks who dont like it to release unless WOT, so they throw in more washers to make it really stiff. Some like it to release even if you barely let off the accelerator, so they throw in just enough washers to not lose boost pressure, and to idle normal.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All Silver STi Exterior

Ok that sounds good. I tried using the stiffest spring and 1 washer and I couldnt even hear it release pressure under WOT... so now I thought I'd try to do the lightest spring and see what it does. Hopefully it will be fine as taking that off is a pain since its so hot in the engine bay all the time. Also the thing came with 4 springs (the 3rd stiffest in it) and 3 washers. The 3rd stiffest was alright, but just kinda annoying just cause it would just pop out of no where sometimes. I'll see what happens and let ya know. Thanks for the help!

Robert~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts