IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the time comes (I hope soon), would it be better to run stock map in the snow or would i be just fine with my norm map. Also how do you look the front diff/when is it it neccesary (conditions wise), like when its really dumping in tahoe to use it locked maybe?? and when the snow is more melting away just use the regular auto mode

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
From my research last year, I think most people run the DCCD in "Lock" or 1 or 2 notches up from the back. I am anxious to run my sti in the snow to see what it is like. I was driving an SUV last winter and started this thread:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34748
to see what the differences were. I got some pretty good info. Check it out!

Sorry I cant help you as far as the maps go. But I would be interested as well as I may go to Cobb Stage 1 this winter/spring.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I see no reason to swap out the maps because its cold and snowy. What I do is swap off the summer tires and put on my winter wheels and tires. A good set of winter tires will go a long way to giving you traction in the snow. Also, I keep it on Auto unless I am going strait up a hill of ice, then I lock the diffs.

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
the map you run now will be fine. the colder the better. If the roads are pretty bad you can throw the dccd in lock and you'll be all set. just make sure you DO NOT use the stock tires in the snow.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,563 Posts
one up from the bottom in powder.
auto for slush.
i haven't found a use for lock yet.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,563 Posts
Pennywise said:
if you have to ask: leave on auto.
...that's forward thinking. what is wrong with, if you don't know, ask people who do.
(that's why men are too stupid to ask for directions when theyre lost)

·
Registered
779 Posts
I am just saying that he should get use to the car. If he throws it all the way back while trying to get traction or do something, he could lose control or get an undesired response.

Best bet is to go to an open parkinglot and see how the car reacts to the different settings.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,563 Posts
Pennywise said:
I am just saying that he should get use to the car. If he throws it all the way back while trying to get traction or do something, he could lose control or get an undesired response.

Best bet is to go to an open parkinglot and see how the car reacts to the different settings.
there is nothing so dramatic about any of the possible dccd settings that would make someone lose control of the car.

·
Registered
779 Posts
if you get stuck going up a hill and throw the dccd all the way back, believe me, nothing good comes out of it. I lived in buffalo where we had 7 ft of snow... I know snow :lol:

·
Registered
13,137 Posts
Leave you map, it'll be fine. DCCD for auto most of the time, Lock if you're driving on an icy surface, i.e. ski hill parking lot.

After skiing, find an empty section, put the diff full rear and make STi angels.

Honestly, I've never "had" to put it in lock.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Pennywise said:
if you get stuck going up a hill and throw the dccd all the way back, believe me, nothing good comes out of it. I lived in buffalo where we had 7 ft of snow... I know snow :lol:
All the way back is "open" not "lock". No wonder nothing good came of it. Anytime I was in snow covered roads, I used "lock". Works great.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I used the stockers to explore my dccd in a storm much more informative with less traction. :naughty: Moral of the story just do whatever Bruce says...;)

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,563 Posts
with so much differing opinion it should be obvious that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. everybody should just go spin that dial for yourself.

as far as listening to me is concerned: other skydivers don't. i'm fond of doing extremely high speed downwind landings when youre supposed to land into the wind (unless your nutz). if you inadvertantly follow me on landing there is a distinct possibility that i might take you downwind at some ridiculous rate of speed. so before i exit the plane i remind everyone

"please don't follow the little red parachute
please do not depend on the red parachute for ANY decision you may make upon landing...thank you."

·
Registered
13,137 Posts
BruceChapman said:
with so much differing opinion it should be obvious that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. everybody should just go spin that dial for yourself.

as far as listening to me is concerned: other skydivers don't. i'm fond of doing extremely high speed downwind landings when youre supposed to land into the wind (unless your nutz). if you inadvertantly follow me on landing there is a distinct possibility that i might take you downwind at some ridiculous rate of speed. so before i exit the plane i remind everyone

"please don't follow the little red parachute
please do not depend on the red parachute for ANY decision you may make upon landing...thank you."

I swear Bruce, I think you're my doppelganger...:lol:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pennywise said:
if you have to ask: leave on auto.

I have 25k on the car and drive it pretty hard so I think i'm use to it. I also did 25k on my old wrx and have taken both in the snow, (the wrx a lot). I have blizzak revo's i'm just wondering for the very best if i wanna motor through some crazy snow if I should lock the front diff, how fast i can go etc... do i need to turn it off in certain deeps of snow (ie packed). I'm just trying to get some experienced users opinions on how to take full advantage of the awd system in the least destructive manner towards my car. Also, if its ok to drive in lesser snow with the diff moved pretty high towards front up etc... I dont wanna wear my drivetrain out.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
well maybe by going back to stock map, form say stg2. since u dont need the power u can get better mileage? or do protuned stg 2s get better mileage anyway?

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Pennywise said:
Oooooh that 7 footer was amazing! Hhaha. I'd say another thing if youve never driven in snow, remember, steer with the gas.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've done a lot of winter driving on Blizzaks. Full lock on the DCCD makes the car drive like a tank and is probably the safest in snow and ice conditions.

In an empty parking lot and 6 inches of snow with the diff in 35/65 (not an option for you 06ers ;) ) I could get my car spinning like a top :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts