IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, we have an open track day coming up and it would be my first and i really just had one general concern, the wear/tear on my engine while on the track. My car is mostly stock besides some suspension mods and a nameless performance cat back exhaust. my car only has 23k miles on it. so i guess my question is how hard/ how long can i beat on my car on the track before something happens? or should i just forget about track day all together?

·
Registered
648 Posts
You should be fine, just go and enjoy it! If it's your first time on any track, you likely won't be able to push the car hard enough for any issues to arise. Just keep an eye out for brake pad fade and your coolant temps and take it down a notch if either pose a problem. You don't need to go 10/10ths balls to the wall to have fun. :)

What track are you going to? Are you on OEM brake pads and fluid? When was the last time you did a brake fluid change?

PS - if you've never been on track before, getting instruction is highly recommended. I've seen and heard of a few wrecks or contact just because un-experienced drivers go out in an open session with either disregard for point-by rules or big egos. Nearly all driving clubs have structured group levels and instruction that minimize this risk as much as possible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah oem limited brakes and fluid, i have never have done a brake fluid change with only 23k on the car, checking the maintenance schedule it says at 30k miles to do new fluid change for my brakes. i will be going to Palmer motor speedway in Palmer, MA. i have checked on the rules on the club.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I would still recommend flushing the fluid with something more heat resistant, especially with it being that old. It does absorb moisture over time. I have great experience with Motul RBF600.

I haven't been to Palmer yet so I'm not sure how hard the brakes are used there; maybe someone else can chime in. I've heard it's a really fun track though.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
^^This.

Brake fluid change at the very least. It's better to spend the $50 and have it done, than to not and your brakes start getting squishy as you enter a braking zone.

Also, a **QUALITY** AOS or catch can system would be a great idea, though not really mandatory. The higher loads and forces can increase the level of blow-by, even at stock power levels. Furthermore, if there is higher octane fuel available nearby, I'd use add some to the tank to increase the level of knock resistance.

If an instructor is available, use them, as it can be extremely beneficial. Especially early on, so they can help keep you from developing bad habits right from the start.

Just go out and have fun. Make sure to stay within your limits. No reason to push yourself way beyond what you feel comfortable doing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Palmer is an awesome track. I'd change the brake fluid to a quality DOT4 and change the engine oil and filter before hand. I personally run 100 octane at any track day event and my car is stock. I'd rather not have poor octane fuel ruin anything.

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
i wouldn't even dream of a track day without high temp brake fluid. You don't want to go flying into the grass because you boiled your brake fluid... Its cheap, easy to do, "insurance" to keep it on the road.

consider doing an oil change and oil analysis afterwards to see how the engine fared... I think its helpful.

if they have higher octange gas a the track, I would suggest adding some just to give you some more "insurance" against knock as well.

blown engines and smashed cars are a good way to ruin a perfectly fun track day...

·
Registered
186 Posts
The track looks like it would be pretty fast as you have a lot of sweeping turns and a very long front straight.

I would watch you coolant temp and if you see you are starting to over heat back it down for the remainder of the session.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1: Replace your brake fluid with Motul Dot4 or ATE dot 4
2: 1st track day on my 2012 I had overheating issues in the afternoon sessions. Stock radiator is embarrassingly small. May want to drain / refill cooling system with ~20% coolant and distilled water. And replace with a Koyo or Mishimoto if you track often. This would be my 1st recommended upgrade.
3: You will have more fun if you disable the traction control / STM (green TCS light = sport mode, Yellow = fully disabled). I recommend the green setting else you'll be fighting the STM.
4: Shoot for 42/40 HOT tire pressure front/rear for stock tire type (Street tire)
5: Leave your ego at home and get some instruction.
6: Have fun!

·
Registered
10 Posts
wow thats high. I ran 33-35 hot on my MPSS which was way grippier than 40+psi...
I found when I was running mid 30's on the stock dunlops, the pyro showed that the shoulders were getting considerably hotter than the center (~20F). IMO it's easier to start a little high and let some air out if you notice your grip getting greasy.

How did you like those Pilot Super sports on the track?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Alignment is a big variable. You will be forced to run higher pressures unless you have decent negative camber dialed in.

His first day, he should go with factory pressures and not worry about them.

Check oil, coolant, and concentrate on not crashing your car! It is a blast...then comes the fine tuning during follow on days.

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
I found when I was running mid 30's on the stock dunlops, the pyro showed that the shoulders were getting considerably hotter than the center (~20F). IMO it's easier to start a little high and let some air out if you notice your grip getting greasy.

How did you like those Pilot Super sports on the track?

Yeah higher pressures are probably needed with softer sidewalls too.

The MPSS did great! They are slightly soft for the track, but I thought they held up really well.

Make sure to bleed off air pressure after your first session, my pressure built up an additional 20psi from heat... Cold my tires were at about 20psi to have 35ish psi hot... Actually, you should probably start off with ~25psi cold and see where that takes you.

·
Registered
668 Posts
25 psi cold? I'd never corner with 25 psi in the tires of my semi-heavy Subaru...my cars spec is 36 factory. Bleed off the excess-yes-as you can always release...just can't put back unless the track as facilities.

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
25 psi cold? I'd never corner with 25 psi in the tires of my semi-heavy Subaru...my cars spec is 36 factory. Bleed off the excess-yes-as you can always release...just can't put back unless the track as facilities.

I wouldn't leave for a hot lap on 25psi tires, no... But by time you finish the warm up lap (not driving hard) your tires are likely at 30psi already and will heat up very quickly after that...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts