IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 WRX, but put my deposit down for an STi last April, and I am expected to take delivery in a couple of months. I would like to receive knowledgeable answers about some STi concerns I have, pertaining to tires, stereo, and A/C.

First the tires. It is my understanding that the STi has what's termed "Summer tires". Since I plan to drive my STi year-round in the DC area, I need something more of the mud, snow, and rain variety. Actually, the stock tires on my '02 WRX have been quite capable. I would like to hear from STi owners that have replaced their "Summer tires" with a more durable type for year-round driving.

Stereo. Since the STi does not come with one, I would like to hear recommendations on a system to put in after market. I'm looking for something that is AM/FM, multi-CD loadable, and decent speakers (to include a subwoofer). I should also say that as a middle-aged, 45-year old guy, I'm not into the mega bass, pretty graphic display console kind of set up--just good sound.

Lastly, the A/C system. I read some literature on the STi that the A/C system was classified as "semi-automatic". Can someone educate me on what that means? If it performs as the A/C system in my '02 WRX, that's fine by me.

Thanks,
Chuck
Past
1986 Buick Grand National (Mid 12's)
1991 GMC Syclone (13.04 best)
Present
2002 WRX (Flat 14s?)
Future
2004 STi (?)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Car Audio; Sound System, Speakers, Head Unit

First tires:
I had Prodrive 17's on my WRX with Pirelli P7000 since delivery. I really did not like the P7000. I got some "summer" tires - Bridgestone RE040. Great tire.....no snow go.
So, in the winter (mid-November) I put a set of Sumitomo HTR+ on the Prodive rims and drove all winter with them. Then, I switched back to the RE040s in April. The HTR+ doesn't have the dry grip that the 040 has, but isn't a dedicated "snow" tire, either. I plan to do the same thing with the STi. The RE070 will not throw snow. If you plan to keep the BBS rims really nice, you may want to get a set of rims/tires for winter. That also makes it easier switching back and forth. www.tirerack.com has winter wheel/tire packages for the STi. I definitely recommend the HTR+.....at $85/tire they're great in my book. I drive through 10" of unplowed snow with no trouble. The stock 070s are fine in the rain....you'll need to take it a *little* easy around turns and stuff, but I have gone 85+ on the highway in the rain and no issues.
Stereo:
Alpine head units. Focal or Dynaudio speakers, JL sub, Phoenix Gold or Zapco amps. I'm only slightly younger than you, but I like quality audio. There's a thread somewhere that lists speakers that fit. If the speakers fit, the install will cost less. If you need more info on this, PM me. There are MANY options for audio equipment/installs.
A/C:
The only thing different from your WRX is that there is an "AUTO" setting which uses a thermostat inside the cabin to read the temp and then adjust the temp/fan speed to hold desired cabin temp. There is also manual mode, which is pretty much the same as the WRX. Actually, I have found the A/C to be better in my STi than it was in my WRX in that it cools the cabin more effectively.

·
Registered
11 Posts
godspeed downpipe

These tires won't work on ice/snow. Don't even try it!

For the stereo, I used the stock head unit with Infinity Kappas 5.25". These speakers required spacers. If I were to do it over again, I would buy the stock upgraded speaker, the installation would be much easier.

The climate control is semi automatic, this works like wrx ac, but it has a temperature dial and a thermocoulple that measures the air temp.

This car is much different than the wrx, it is a hardcore car!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
king fish, i've been researching for speakers and are on the verge of purchasing the infinity kappas that you used.....how are those? i want a clean sound but with a some bass.....have you actually compared them to the upgraded stock speakers? ok thanx....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent, informative response, Psycho, just what I was looking for. I am now armed with the info I need to properly outfit my STi *when* it arrives at the dealer. :) By the way, I didn't know the stock stereo options were available for the STi. I'm not a purist audiophile like some guys in this forum (or need to drive down the road with a "Boom-Boom-Boom" following me), but the premium system I ordered with my '02 WRX was just fine for my needs.
Thanks,
Chuck

psycho said:
First tires:
I had Prodrive 17's on my WRX with Pirelli P7000 since delivery. I really did not like the P7000. I got some "summer" tires - Bridgestone RE040. Great tire.....no snow go.
So, in the winter (mid-November) I put a set of Sumitomo HTR+ on the Prodive rims and drove all winter with them. Then, I switched back to the RE040s in April. The HTR+ doesn't have the dry grip that the 040 has, but isn't a dedicated "snow" tire, either. I plan to do the same thing with the STi. The RE070 will not throw snow. If you plan to keep the BBS rims really nice, you may want to get a set of rims/tires for winter. That also makes it easier switching back and forth. www.tirerack.com has winter wheel/tire packages for the STi. I definitely recommend the HTR+.....at $85/tire they're great in my book. I drive through 10" of unplowed snow with no trouble. The stock 070s are fine in the rain....you'll need to take it a *little* easy around turns and stuff, but I have gone 85+ on the highway in the rain and no issues.
Stereo:
Alpine head units. Focal or Dynaudio speakers, JL sub, Phoenix Gold or Zapco amps. I'm only slightly younger than you, but I like quality audio. There's a thread somewhere that lists speakers that fit. If the speakers fit, the install will cost less. If you need more info on this, PM me. There are MANY options for audio equipment/installs.
A/C:
The only thing different from your WRX is that there is an "AUTO" setting which uses a thermostat inside the cabin to read the temp and then adjust the temp/fan speed to hold desired cabin temp. There is also manual mode, which is pretty much the same as the WRX. Actually, I have found the A/C to be better in my STi than it was in my WRX in that it cools the cabin more effectively.
:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
316 Posts
check out the g-force kdws. i use them on my wrx and they work pretty good. like them in the dirt.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Advertising Post

Hey Chuck,

This is a little OT, but I used to own a 93 Wht/Wht Typhoon. Guess it's tough to give up the turbo/AWD thing. I'm still on the Syty mailing list (I was one of the first moderators for the UBB in the paint and body section). One day I'll have a Sy and a GN too.

Take care,
Alberto

·
Registered
11 Posts
The kappas are ok, much better than stock. Bass is good. I purchased spacers from eastcoast scooby. The 5 1/4" fit in the front, but not the rear. You need the 4" for the rear. I have an extra set of 5 1/4".

I have not heard the stock upgrade speakers.

·
Registered
949 Posts
i'd like to pose a related question also:
is it necessary to dynamat the doors?
are they succeptible to rattles and hums? (insert u2 joke here)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Excellent choices!!!
Just wanna add that once the stock summer tires are worn, I would get S03s with stock wheels for Spring/Summer/Fall and some all season or winter tires (like blizzacs or alpines) along with some 17"rims (see sticky post above of JJ selling great rims at discount)... Make sure the aftermarket rims clear the brembos, not all do..
As psycho said:
Alpine Head Units are tops.. and no bling bling (as u said)..
His choices of speakers/amps are right on also..

psycho said:
First tires:
Stereo:
A/C:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alberto,
I know what you mean about the turbo vehicles. As I put in my first post, I owned an '86 Grand National and a '91 GMC Syclone. In fact, I owned two Syclones (the first one caught fire in the engine compartment while I was driving it one night and was classified as totaled by the insurance company). I've also considered buying a Ty from time to time, but the WRX won out.
Chuck

Fhqwhgads said:
Hey Chuck,

This is a little OT, but I used to own a 93 Wht/Wht Typhoon. Guess it's tough to give up the turbo/AWD thing. I'm still on the Syty mailing list (I was one of the first moderators for the UBB in the paint and body section). One day I'll have a Sy and a GN too.

Take care,
Alberto

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good news--my blue/gold STi is scheduled for delivery one week from now! Anyway, I will follow the recommendations of Psycho et al, as far as the stereo and tire choices go. I am going to opt for the stock upgraded speakers, subwoofer and amp from Subaru, because I have that in my '02 WRX and I am satisfied with them. For the head unit, I need to start looking at Alpine models. Any particular models to consider? By the way, do any of the Alpine head units include CD multi-disc configurations, or must I purchase a separate (remote) unit for that?
Thanks,
Chuck

amdmaxx said:
Excellent choices!!!
Just wanna add that once the stock summer tires are worn, I would get S03s with stock wheels for Spring/Summer/Fall and some all season or winter tires (like blizzacs or alpines) along with some 17"rims (see sticky post above of JJ selling great rims at discount)... Make sure the aftermarket rims clear the brembos, not all do..
As psycho said:
Alpine Head Units are tops.. and no bling bling (as u said)..
His choices of speakers/amps are right on also..

psycho said:
First tires:
Stereo:
A/C:

·
Registered
167 Posts
You'll need to purchase a separate CD changer if you want one. There are no in-dash changers from Alpine that I know of. As far as which head unit, kind of hard to recommend one for you. I think your best bet is to check www.alpine-usa.com It depends which features you want and how much you are willing to spend.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I'm either drunk or high

If you are interested in a CD changer and are using all the stock speakers I would just go with a stock headunit. Also if stick to stock you know what it will sound like and not risk the power output being different with a different headunit and possibly not sounding as good. Just my $.02

1 - 16 of 16 Posts