IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am quite interested with STI but I found out some differences between Euro and Japan Spec. Below are the list:

1. Japan Spec -- 280ps, 40.2 kgm; Euro spec -- 265ps, 35kgm
Why is the difference? Local Emission regulation limit or local fuel octane difference? Are they exact the same engine? Is the mechanical parts of Euro spec are weaker?

2. There is NO DCCD.(driver controlled center differential) Will it be worth of buying a STI without Subaru secret(DCCD) on it? It's like buying EVO VIII without AYC and ACD. What will it like if STI doesn;t equipped with DCCD?

3. Viscous type LSD instead of mechanical type. Another minus!

4. What is the difference between "Sport ABS"(Euro Spec) and " Super Sport ABS"(Japan Spec)?

5. Alloy Wheel instead of Forged Alloy wheel? Can anyone tell me how much extra unsprung weight added on my non-forged alloy wheel?

Sad to know the differences. I hate to buy a STI with not much good stuff left. Should I wait for North America spec 2500cc STI?

Looking forward to knowing the answer and Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Getting the best launch???

i'm not sure how much help this will be, but i'm under the impression that even within europe the STis are spec'ed differently. the equipment you'll get may vary with the country you buy it in.

to actually answer on of your questions, the euro spec STi engine doesn't get the twin scroll turbo, and the internals aren't quite as nice as the JDM one. so that probably accounts for the power difference. but you can always get a prodrive 300hp package which is covered by subaru's warrenty in europe.

that's all i got, hopefully someone else can be more helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. You pointed out another valuable component which is missing in Euro spec. Actually, not only forementioned differences. So far as I know, the turbine is another difference. JDM is lighter which helps in improving low RPM turbo lag.

OK, I decide to wait for 2500 cc US spec and just to let you know Subaru is generous to you guys!! 31K US dollars is a bargain for 300ps.

http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg.aspx?forum=general&msg_id=945101

·
Registered
199 Posts
tell me about it. after years of watching europe and japan get all the good cars we finally get something really cool. good luck.

i will say this, the EJ-20s tuning potential is well known and pretty good. it still remains to be seen how much power a fully modified USDM STi can make. if it turns out that the motor tops out at 350hp then the rest of the world is getting the better deal. you are right though, 32,000 for this car is a steal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts