IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the deal with some of those wings out there? I thought I'd start a poll of my own.

For example...Pogi Wings

Also, carbon fiber wings (and hoods) that are unpainted...if I were gonna get a carbon hood, I'd get a black car...

S

·
0 Posts
If the wing is functional and you are racing, then I say who cares what onlookers think. I want the improved cornering capability.

If it is some kid that thinks it is cool to try to make a 110 hp honda look like a race car; then it is a bit silly.

I wouldn't mind shedding some of the 3100lb. If I could do so and still use it as a comfortable daily driver, I would. Those kinds of mods will have to wait until the car is being replaced, which will hopefully be in another 4-6 years. Then I will consider installing a cage and entering a Rally race, or two. :eek:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
People in the US don't understand the look of the metal wings because we aren't exposed to the types of racing other countries have over seas. For the most part, if you asked people here why they have a metal wing and a single wiper blade, they'd say they want to look JDM. Well, why do the JDM street racers have those things?

If you watch some of the European stock class races, that's when you see the crazy graphics, the metal wings, the single wiper blades and the vinyl strips on the windshields.

Now some people do get just tacky with their cars, however......we shouldn't be able to say that people with metal wings are any worse than the US automakers. Some one approved the production of cars such as the NASCAR Edition Grand Prix, or the similar version of the Dodge Avenger....or whatever it is now.....each of these cars complete with things such as yellow letter tires, black rims, roof rails, NASCAR style spoilers. Same thing....in a different form...isn't it?

It's just imitation.....and we all do it to some form. If no one had ever seen WRC, they wouldn't understand Subaru's styling, the STi especially, at all. We are all guilty of it. We all imitate something.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can understand if you're a stock car racer...but I see alot of posers out there, and you know they got the wing just b/c they thought it looked cool or they were trying to be someone they're not. If it at least looked like it was part of the car like the WRX spoiler on risers in the ESX WRX instead (that one I think was actually done right) and painted the same color as the car, then that would be fine.

I agree there's imitation out there but some things just don't look right unless it's the real thing :)

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I still get hung up on the fact that I don't necessarily care how it looks as long as the person likes it, but when the mod is detrimental to performance..THAT'S WHAT KILLS ME. For example the big nasty wing on a fwd car that is stock otherwise. Who would need that much downforce on the rear end of that car, when you need more to the front to hook-up the front wheels?!!!

i typically am so practical that form nearly always follows function. That's why I like the STi so much. It certainly doesn't have the beauty of a Ferrari 360, but it is a true sports car.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
91TB78...True that! I've seen too many civics with those ridiculous spoilers...what are they thinking? The other day I saw one that was on a mustang (OK so they got it right performance wise) but the wing was so damn low compared to the vertical arms on the side...that prodruded way above it! What are those supposed to be? Vertical tails??

Although I'm not a big fan of the STi wing, it still at least looks like it's part of the car, and not grabbing the spotlight when you look at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts