IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking off my intake silencer box and was wondering if thats all I would have to do? Do I cover up the hole in the bootom of the airbox? Can I cover up the air ram under the hood and use the hole where the intake silencer goes?

Can I cut up the intake silencer and use that as a sort of Cold Air whiel covering up the air ram under the hood?

·
Registered
624 Posts
If you going to take that box out and cover the hole, what is the point of taking off to begin with? You may take it off and leave it off, or like you said, cut the hole in the front and act like ram air. :) Just leave both ram air open. The more the better, but don't change your stock filter.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you going to take that box out and cover the hole, what is the point of taking off to begin with? You may take it off and leave it off, or like you said, cut the hole in the front and act like ram air. :) Just leave both ram air open. The more the better, but don't change your stock filter.

Yeah, so I pulled it out and left the hole open.

I can hear everything so much better now. The car has a deeper grumble and some extra intake noises for kicks. When you are cruising on the freeway and step on it, you can really hear it...sounds os good.

I don't know hwat thos eother peopel were talkign about; maybe they covered up the hole?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yeah, so I pulled it out and left the hole open.

I can hear everything so much better now. The car has a deeper grumble and some extra intake noises for kicks. When you are cruising on the freeway and step on it, you can really hear it...sounds os good.

I don't know hwat thos eother peopel were talkign about; maybe they covered up the hole?
i couldnt hear anything before i took mine off, now it sounds so good. :tup:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's pictures here somewhere... isn't there? You cut off the snorkel right?
You mean the 3" extension coming off of the airbox? No,I left that there and just removed the silencer and put everything back together.

I would assume that all the people that said they didn't hear anything different is because they plugged that hole up...

·
Banned
799 Posts
why would you want to leave such restrictive air filter there and not replace it with lets say.... a perrin drop-in air filter ?

·
Registered
624 Posts
^^because if you change out your stock filter without a tune, it will mess with the car's A/F ratio and cause it to trip the CEL.

·
Banned
799 Posts
^^because if you change out your stock filter without a tune, it will mess with the car's A/F ratio and cause it to trip the CEL.
Soo I need a protune for changing the air filter to something less restrictive? Even if the MAF sensor is after the air filter...

sounds to me that the 2008 ECU learning cicle has been eliminated or is crappy compared to 2005-2007 STIs

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Soo I need a protune for changing the air filter to something less restrictive? Even if the MAF sensor is after the air filter...

sounds to me that the 2008 ECU learning cicle has been eliminated or is crappy compared to 2005-2007 STIs
You can get an AP with a map from perrin that accounts for the intake/filter, or a protune, yes.

I was disappointed when I read this too. I love being able to take a car and slap an intake on it but not with this car. Boo.

·
Banned
799 Posts
Well ... This sucks... We are not messing with anything after the MAF sensor or considerally extending the lenght of the intake

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well ... This sucks... We are not messing with anything after the MAF sensor or considerally extending the lenght of the intake
I haven't tried putting in a filter and don't know anyone who has either; but its just what I heard. SO maybe put one in and see what happens?

Although it is a 35000 dollar turbocharged car, so I don't know.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts