IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried doing this yet? My 06 sti is a dd, but the salt is taking its toll on it, even though I have painted under the whole car. Its fully built and so on. Most insurance as we all know say if you have aftermarket parts they will not cover you because you're making the car go fast. With all the money i have in the car I would like to have it covered some what from the a** h*** out there.

My plan is to drive the car but just not in the winter. I called the normal two haggerty and grundy but they both said no do to it being and import and not being 15 years old yet.
they do cover any valve you put on the car though. I think that's bull because my mustang is insured with grundy, 01 fully built and I did that 4 years ago. They told me muscle cars are exception.

I'm 34 married clean record, my sti is 1000 for the year with 1000 deductible. I'm trying to cut it by half or cover my parts in the car. Right now I drive the sti about 5k a year.

Any body have ideas for me?

plan is to get a beater car and drive that in the winter and so on.

thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
For collectors insurance, you typically need to have stock pictures of your car (no aftermarket add-ons) in a garage.

For newer cars, you need to provide back-up that it is collectible - numbered 1 out 1000, something from manufacturer that explains the rarity/limited production, news media articles regarding it being collectible.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well is there any other insurance or a way to do this I guess.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Part of the calculation your insurer does is based upon: Commuter or Pleasure? Miles per week?
I would have this conversation with your insurer:
I'm looking to retire my XYZ to a weekend only pleasure car and acquire an ABC for my commuting. My miles per week will be X for ABC and X - A for XYZ.
If you have the commuter on the same account, it doesn't require antique or collectors or other insurance (I've had all of the above) and it definitely should result in a significantly smaller premium.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Part of the calculation your insurer does is based upon: Commuter or Pleasure? Miles per week?
I would have this conversation with your insurer:
I'm looking to retire my XYZ to a weekend only pleasure car and acquire an ABC for my commuting. My miles per week will be X for ABC and X - A for XYZ.
If you have the commuter on the same account, it doesn't require antique or collectors or other insurance (I've had all of the above) and it definitely should result in a significantly smaller premium.
I was told differently by an insurance agent from Allstate. The commuter might actually be cheaper since it's likely sitting for hours every day and then the pleasure vehicle rate is jacked up.

I recently switched insurance companies and to my surprise they did not ask me how many miles I drive to work and which vehicle is used for what.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I would ask to speak to a different agent. That's flat out wrong.
As an insurer, they are taking risk in exchange for payment which must, including investment income, exceed payouts.

They don't care what kind of vehicle you drive, as long as they can charge the proper amount.

Several factors play in: how much you drive, cost of car, accident prevalence for driver, accident prevalence for car...

So I'm not saying your "toy" will be cheaper to insure but like on like a commuter car that does 15,000 miles a year should cost more to insure than a toy that does 1,000.

Now, like I mentioned, if your you does 15,000 as well, then it's not a toy and would be insured the same.

Left some details out: the reason the mileage matters is its the primary time the vehicle is at risk.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went through that with my insurance agent. My wife and I drive less then 20k a year total.

I was told they have my sti and wife's car on part time driving/Pleasure, do to we drive less the the normal, 12k a year. I mean now I put a total trip back and forth to work for me is 22 miles a day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts