IW STi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been considering getting a set of springs for my 04. I'm basically going for a stiffer spring with a lower stance. I'm not a big handling nut seeing as how there are no tracks nearby and most the roads here are straight. Therefore my plan is to go COBB springs, then Whiteline sways and COBB endlinks, then Group-N tops. My question is for those of you that are running COBB springs (or any lowering spring) on the stock suspension. Will I run into any problems such a broken end links or flipped sways? Any other problems I need to be aware of when running these springs on the stock stuff.

YES I've searched and there is so much to sift through and not much on the COBB other than they sit friggen low.

Thanks.
Chris

EDIT:

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
yes, you do increase your chance of flipping your sway bars, but the cobb endlinks will lower the likelyhood of that occuring dramatically. You will also most likely shorten the life of your struts. by how much? no one knows, but i dont think there is any question that they wont last as long on lower springs. The other thing to consider is the infamous strut clunk that many people talk about. you may not get it, but you might. good luck

·
Registered
833 Posts
your not going to take your car to the extremem so with the setup your talking about you will be MORE than fine in fact you will love it:D i have the same setup but with sti pink springs and no problems what so ever and i do hit the twisities any chance i get:devil:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just installed cobb springs on my car this weekend. Awesome stance, and the handeling is night and day compared to stock. The ride is a bit harder, but gets rid of the STi bounce on the highway. As far as long term. I guess i have to wait and see

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Sorry this is kind of late but definitely upgrade your rear endlinks if you lower th car. I have been on Cobb springs for maybe a week now, hit a pothole tonight.. BOOM! CLUNK, CLUNK!! Now i have a flipped sway and a broken endlink. :mad:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Go with RCE yellows. Stance looks great, excellent handling.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Sorry this is kind of late but definitely upgrade your rear endlinks if you lower th car. I have been on Cobb springs for maybe a week now, hit a pothole tonight.. BOOM! CLUNK, CLUNK!! Now i have a flipped sway and a broken endlink. :mad:
You must be really mad to dig so deep in the past...sorry abt it man, sux but well time to upgrade eh!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am about to order yellow springs as well.
But, I still do not know if I should get Group-N tophats.
If it is for DD, I do not think it would be much noticeable.
For example, I did not feel much difference when I installed steering rack bushings. (06')

·
Registered
3 Posts
Progress springs on stock struts. I have the rear clunk which drives me crazy! The springs are a little stiff for my liking. I have prodrives on my wrx and I loved that setup.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
You must be really mad to dig so deep in the past...sorry abt it man, sux but well time to upgrade eh!!
haha, wow yea i must have been pretty upset.. everything looked the same, i just didnt notice to 06 instead of 08!! sorry about that guys.:p

Whiteline's will be in later today.:D

·
Immoderate
5,702 Posts
The Cobbs lower the car pretty much, not a good thing with the limited bump travel inherent in the STi front end.

If looks are what you are after and you don't care about ride or handling, then go ahead with the Cobbs. Otherwise I would suggest looking at RCE, Prodrive, and JDM pinks. All of those will modify the stance and improve handling and ride quality.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Myles, but I've gone down the road of Ground control. I like being able to replace pieces if/when they go bad without sending in the entire strut/coilover.

ps. holy ancient thread bump :lol:

OP: we have many clients in Texas. Maybe we canget you a ride in a car with yellows or Blacks on it.

Let us know.

Myles

1 - 16 of 16 Posts