IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious as to how difficult it is the keep the black version clean. How often do you guys clean the exterior? Do you easily notice imperfections and such? Would you recommend the color based on your experiences with it? Please feel free to add any input. :p

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Black.....unless it's a car parked in the garage 90% of the time and not driven daily, I wouldn't touch it....at all! Black is a chore. I love washing my cars and keeping them up, but black was too much.

RUN.....RUN AWAY!

PS. WRB is bad enough IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I totally agree. After owning 1 daily driven black car and now a black garage queen, never again. Washing is not the worse part its the swirls and scratches that show so easily. In fact the more you wash the worse it will get over time.

·
Registered
614 Posts
As a friend of mine said "Yeah, a black car sure is a PITA to keep clean....but when it's cleaned up right there's nothing like it." And I agree. I have a JBP that's garaged at work and home, driven almost daily, and washed every weekend. It's a chore for sure, but a trade-off IMHO. I gets LOTS of kind comments when it's shined up and sitting somewhere - I think it's just beautiful!

M

·
0 Posts
Don't sell any STi color short, even the silver requires constant attention to keep clean, :)

You'll find you have a much higher standard of cleanliness with this car, and no matter what color you end up wiht, you are going to be washing it all the friggin time!

ps: especially them rims

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
No color compares to black. Like I said keeping it clean is not the problem, down the road it will look bad even clean, maybe worse. Wait till 20k or 30k miles and see how it looks. Don't get me wrong a freshly detailed, new, black car looks awesome but after a few washings it starts to look bad. All your JBP STis are too new, wait and see.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have black. All my vehicles are black, except for the boat, and I am looking for a cheap way to get a black gelcoat put on it. Yeah, black shows dirt, but my cars always show dirt, as I drive it dirt and only wash the things about once a month. I still love my black cars.

The thing about black looking worse down the road is only true if you park outside and wash your car all the time. If you don't wear the clearcoat off by washing it daily, a 10-year-old black car can be washed up tp look like new without a lot of effort.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice so far. It seems like black will require a lot more effort to keep clean looking than any of other colors. Blue was my second choice but i've seem comments in this thread and others about how hard that is to clean as well. That leaves me in a bit of a... poopybuster. Whatever that means. Anyways, thanks for the info so far. Keep it coming, I love hearing about your experiences.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
It's not cleaning it that is tough it's preventing and then hiding or removing swirls. The more you wash the car the more swirls you will get. WRB is no where near as bad as black especially with the pearl in the paint, not the best but not as bad as black.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts