IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I just recently bought a 2021 WRX STI and its a new platform for me. I was wondering what are your guys thoughts on getting a custom tune for the car potentially running stage 1 and also stage 2? Is doing a custom tune for the car give it more reliability or less than the stock tune? Also what are your guys recommendations on where and what to use for tuning. Thanks I appreciate your time!

·
Super Moderator
8,794 Posts
For tuning, it's no different than just about every USDM STi ever made. You can increase power and reliability on these with a tune, as long as you don't start craving absurd powers. I'm not sure Cobb has an AP for the 2021 yet, but I imagine it won't be long. If you end up wanting a Cobb AccessPort, I can certainly sell you one. You can start with the staged OTS maps and see if you want to go the custom route after that (which I also can help with :) )

·
Registered
2020 WRX STI, Magnetite grey,
248 Posts
Congrats! I picked up my new STI in February and picked up a Cobb AP from yamahaSHO! He offers great customer service and mod advice. He will be Protuning my car once I sort out what direction I am going long term mod wise.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
my 2020 STi is currently stage 1 protuned. Had it tuned with like 1500 miles on it By same tuner I have used for 15 years. Nice little bump in power and improved curve. Stage 1 is just a place holder until I decide next steps. This is my 3rd STi. I had my 11 for 10 years and about 90k miles making almost 400 wtq on E85. I may take this one a little further.

·
Registered
657 Posts
ive owned mine for 8 years. what yamahasho said is right.

also, on these cars with the ONLY exception being a catback exhaust, ANY MOD YOU DO REQUIRES A TUNE/ADJUSTMENT TO THE TUNE. keep in mind most new mods the same tuner will likely only charge a smaller fee to adjust the tune. not a full retune. i will always sugges a pro tune and not an off the shelf map (ots map).

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I am taking delivrey of my 2021 STI next week & plan on keeping it stock with only a cutback. My current 2019 STI so far has 27,000 miles and since day one it was bone stock with just a catback exhaust.

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI Limited MGM
37 Posts
Congrats! I took delivery of my 2021 STI Limited last Friday. After break-in I plan to:
  1. Cobb Stage 1+ (Intake and AccessPort - I like to hear the turbo spool)
  2. IAG AOS
  3. Cylinder 4 cooling mod
  4. Protune
Previously, I had a 2012 STI Limited hatchback that had Stage 2 and a 2009 WRX hatchback with stage 1 and a cat-back. Since I am going back, I also had a 2006 Impreza hatchback too.

I might be a Subie fan....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congrats! I picked up my new STI in February and picked up a Cobb AP from yamahaSHO! He offers great customer service and mod advice. He will be Protuning my car once I sort out what direction I am going long term mod wise.
We're you guys able to install the 2020 AP on the 2021? I called Cobb and they said they haven't been able to program 2021 ecu... We're you able to get it protuned or even installed?

·
Registered
248 Posts
We're you guys able to install the 2020 AP on the 2021? I called Cobb and they said they haven't been able to program 2021 ecu... We're you able to get it protuned or even installed?
Mine is actually a 2020 built in December of last year. So yes, it worked just fine. The 2021’s just landed in March of this year. Give Cobb a month or two and they will have them (2021’s) sorted out.

** Actually I just checked for firmware update on AP and there was one done yesterday, but it did not have anything yet on 2021’s. fyi

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys, wanted to post in here. Newbie here to the forum and to STi's...just picked up my 2021 STi Base, broke passed the 1k mile mark and am eager to get a little bit more response. I feel it lags. I've watched enough videos to know that I need to get an Accessport. I'd definitely like to pick one up. Let me know your thoughts and if you could point me to any links or posts on preferred mods. I'm not looking to get crazy power, but would love to sit around the mid 400's as the top end goal.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey guys, wanted to post in here. Newbie here to the forum and to STi's...just picked up my 2021 STi Base, broke passed the 1k mile mark and am eager to get a little bit more response. I feel it lags. I've watched enough videos to know that I need to get an Accessport. I'd definitely like to pick one up. Let me know your thoughts and if you could point me to any links or posts on preferred mods. I'm not looking to get crazy power, but would love to sit around the mid 400's as the top end goal.
Congrats! Accessport is the gateway to more power. It really bumps up the torque 2500-5000 rpms imo. You talking 450 wheel or 450 crank? Big difference in what that will $$. What is your budget??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats! Accessport is the gateway to more power. It really bumps up the torque 2500-5000 rpms imo. You talking 450 wheel or 450 crank? Big difference in what that will $$. What is your budget??
Thanks man! I'm definitely wanting the Accessport, I know that's about $700ish and I've been reading and apparently he stock airbox is good to around 400 so that can be last, but I'm looking for 450 wheel and my budget, about $5-$7K slowly over the summer and about $10K at the end of the year for larger purchases. I'm ok with taking it slow! Thanks for the reply as well. I'll post a pic of her and her stock cuteness.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Thanks man! I'm definitely wanting the Accessport, I know that's about $700ish and I've been reading and apparently he stock airbox is good to around 400 so that can be last, but I'm looking for 450 wheel and my budget, about $5-$7K slowly over the summer and about $10K at the end of the year for larger purchases. I'm ok with taking it slow! Thanks for the reply as well. I'll post a pic of her and her stock cuteness.
Get a bigger budget if you want 450whp reliably. For that I’d suggest going with a rotated setup, and e85, and a iag or outfront shortblock to hold that power. Invest in better valves/springs too so you can get a bit more boost. And expect to spend in the 18-20k range.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Man 610 on a daily driver car is alot. I wonder how long it will last for at that level. 15,000 miles in general or 15,000 miles at 610whp. Another nj/prime/jrtune big power combo. Lets see what happens lol

·
Registered
248 Posts
Man 610 on a daily driver car is alot. I wonder how long it will last for at that level. 15,000 miles in general or 15,000 miles at 610whp. Another nj/prime/jrtune big power combo. Lets see what happens lol
I have talked to him. He says it has been on full send since it was tuned on setup. Lol.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I have talked to him. He says it has been on full send since it was tuned on setup. Lol.
So how many miles has the car gone at 610whp? Everyones full send/kill mode is different. Everyones driving style also varies. I just dont see the point of driving these cars at the absolute max as a daily.

·
Registered
248 Posts
So how many miles has the car gone at 610whp? Everyones full send/kill mode is different. Everyones driving style also varies. I just dont see the point of driving these cars at the absolute max as a daily.
15000. Yeah meaning he did not just make a glory number on the dyno then turn the tune/boost down. It has been running on the 610 whp/full send tune for over year now. Supposedly Prime/JR has a few 500-600 whp 19 up cars on stock motors with miles on them. These are street cars. ;).

·
Premium Member
See about
6,136 Posts
I am not completely sold. But they are almost local and I might talk to them before I do anything with my 2020. I like Rallispec and they are even more local, and of course IAG who is not local but built my 05. Whatever I do, I want to do as much as I can myself this time.

Prime: There have been more than one member here enamored with them, who reported experiences that I would not have been happy with . . .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts