IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, ive ben meaning to ask all of you about something. i dont want to change my stock cd player, i just want to leave most of the interior of this car origional. ive ben wanting to add just a 12 inch sub to give me a little bit of base. i dont need anything too crazy, the sti is my "family car" lol. i have a 2000 watt system in my prelude with all kinds of speakers and such like that. so im just looking for something a bit better for the suby. of course ill be replacing the speakers as well, but can you hook up a sub and apm to the stock cd player or are there no hook ups for it. i know some cars have rca's and a remote wire for the amp in the back of the stock unit, i was justy wondering about the sti. thanks in advance for any input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
klaymon said:
There are no RCA's or any other outputs on the stock unit. I added a sub and I just used the high level inputs on the amp. Run those to the front or rear speaker wires on the back of the head unit.
but what about the amp turning on, is there a remote wire back there. i cant just tap into the speakers. the subs will pretty much be useless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,498 Posts
johnlude85 said:
but what about the amp turning on, is there a remote wire back there. i cant just tap into the speakers. the subs will pretty much be useless.
Run the remote wire to the ignition. What do you mean by "I can't just tap into the speakers, the subs will pretty much be usless"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
klaymon said:
Run the remote wire to the ignition. What do you mean by "I can't just tap into the speakers, the subs will pretty much be usless"?
nevermind, i got confused. id be better off running the remote from the battery with a switch in the middle if i was going to do it that way, or into the fuse box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
The stock '05 cd changer supports the subaru sub; plug-and-play. If you bought just the harness, you might be able to wire up your own sub. I don't know about 'a 12 inch sub' giving you 'a little bit of base' though. The stock sub comes w/a built-in amp and is a 6 or 8 -inch, I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
francoej said:
The stock '05 cd changer supports the subaru sub; plug-and-play. If you bought just the harness, you might be able to wire up your own sub. I don't know about 'a 12 inch sub' giving you 'a little bit of base' though. The stock sub comes w/a built-in amp and is a 6 or 8 -inch, I think.
well 1 12 inch sub would be "my" little bit of base compared to the system in my prelude.:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
johnlude85 said:
nevermind, i got confused. id be better off running the remote from the battery with a switch in the middle if i was going to do it that way, or into the fuse box.
If you're planning to use the speaker level (high level) signal, depending on your amp, you might not need the remote signal either. My amp has auto-on sensing on the high level input signals, which is what I use with my sub. The remote line isn't connected to anything - one less wire I had to run to the back. :tup:
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top