IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm installing my perrin short ram today. my question is: how do you take off the part of the stock air box system that is mounted inside the passanger side fender? you know, the elbow-type piece that is held on by one 10mm nut and bolt with the inlet into the back of the air box. by looking at it, it seems that you have to go through the wheelwell which means taking off the wheel and inner fender well plastic. is this true or is there an easier way to remove it? thanks.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
linearzero said:
i'm installing my perrin short ram today. my question is: how do you take off the part of the stock air box system that is mounted inside the passanger side fender? you know, the elbow-type piece that is held on by one 10mm nut and bolt with the inlet into the back of the air box. by looking at it, it seems that you have to go through the wheelwell which means taking off the wheel and inner fender well plastic. is this true or is there an easier way to remove it? thanks.
Its a pain man... the way I did it was jack the front of the car up some, slide under and unbolt the plastic right under that area (not the full plastic tray, just the one piece by the tire (you'll see it, if not I'll try to grab pics - its the piece with like the 4 push in clips-). Then just reach in there and unbolt (there are TWO bolts, so be careful) the bolt on the inside of the fender well and the bolt inside the engine bay. I was able to just drop it out through that hole I made in the bottom. Then just disconnect it from the two other air intake pieces.

Scratch that. To be honest man... I ended up going back in and putting the first air intake piece in and the snorkle, so that it would funnel cold air to the short ram (seemed to make a little difference). The silencer thats in there isnt what silences the intake (If you dont have it hooked up - eg: to the stock air box (its what silences it, IF its hooked up to the stock intake... just being in there wont do anything) -). So if you were to just remove the air box and leave the silencer in there (to funnel cold air to your car) then it'd still make all the turbo sounds and then it'd kinda be like a cold ram air intake. That and you dont have to go through all the crap of ripping out the silencer (unless you want to anyways). Good luck and let me know if you have anymore questions.

edit: Also if you take the first ram air scoop piece out, then stuff will kinda "leak" into your engine bay. Like I'd keep getting dirt marks under my engine bay (right behind where the ram air scoop was) from water getting through were it used to be and drying on timing belt cover and such. Thats what made me go back and put those two pieces back in.

Robert~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts