IW STi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LightWerkz said:
You mean when you release the clutch and get into gear?

Its the rear diff...get the klunk killer!
oh...is that what the "rear diff clunk" is? I thought it was mostly for 04's.. anywhoo, i shouldn't really worry about anything breaking other than the loud noise right?

·
Banned
8,265 Posts
I dont believe it has anything to do with timing if your going all out, banging through the gears as I call it.

I have the klunk killer set and still get a small thump the way I shift when trying to be fastest.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
LightWerkz said:
I dont believe it has anything to do with timing if your going all out, banging through the gears as I call it.

I have the klunk killer set and still get a small thump the way I shift when trying to be fastest.
Well I don't klunk my car and I drive it very hard. But if you totally drop the clutch and slam the gas on gear changes, it will klunk. I don't think this buys you much time in acceleration though.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Singletrack said:
Well I don't klunk my car and I drive it very hard. But if you totally drop the clutch and slam the gas on gear changes, it will klunk. I don't think this buys you much time in acceleration though.
It should have little/no effect from 4th on up, but i agree that on 1-2 and 2-3, you can/will gain spool by effectively slipping the clutch during your upshift.

·
Banned
8,265 Posts
Singletrack said:
whatever that time may be its the fastest way to shift imho. Just letting off the clutch as fast as possible.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'd get the kartboy rear diff bushings or learn to shift differently. I also feel that it is real dependent on the vehicle and or the driver.

I didn't get any clunk on my '04 WRX nor on my '06 STI. My neighbor doesn't have it on his '03 WRX but I drove an '04 WRX last week that did.

In my experience I've found fewer cars with this issue than I have with it (I work part time at a Subaru dealership) but that doesn't mean that the issue doesn't exists. I believe that I've not had to deal with it as much because of the way that I shift and drive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Isnt that a good noise?

Until I read this post I had no idea what people were referring to when they said clunk. Now I’m just confused as to why anyone would want to stop that sound. Mine sounds like someone giving a nice hard and fast hit on a bass drum. I never found anything at all unpleasant about it. Furthermore, it seems to me to be an indication of when I shift perfectly while on “spirited drives”. I seem to get the most response out of my car when I time it to get the thunk. I find that it actually doesn’t make that sound when I just drop it..

I just wanted to confirm that I am not harming my car by allowing this sound to continue.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Fyxer said:
Now I’m just confused as to why anyone would want to stop that sound...

I just wanted to confirm that I am not harming my car by allowing this sound to continue.
I think the concern is, when you snap a shift in a FWD or RWD car, any excess power goes out through the tires in a nice chirp. The STi has so much grip that the tires often don't chirp, and the excess power is absorbed by the drivetrain, hence the thunk.

In my case, I just think of that as unnecessary drivetrain stress.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.