IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every professional STI racers! I m located in Toronto, CA. my car is 18 STI and I just did compression and leakdown test days ago, the result is that cylinder 4 is showed 80 PSI for both compression and leakdown test as my STI is only 37600KM

I have only done Catback, and Cobb Stage 3 kit which are Cobb fuel line kit, Cobb fuel rail, FPR, 1050X CC injector, Catted DP, and AEM fuel pump, I dont remember everything about details, but completely Cobb stage 3 Kit for sure on my STI and run OTS stage 3 91, 93MAP with Petro94. (I definitely know I picked wrong MAP but I cant stand it being too slow with ACN91. I m stupid So knocks failed my ringland so far. ) Let skip it and go to thread.

So I think maybe it is the time to move forward. I am considering to purchase a IAG 900 long block with GSC Stage 3 CAMS option. But I only temporarily keep the WHP around 550, but maybe I need more? who knows that in the future right?(Yep,I m stupid guy I just wanna whp around 550 cuz I had experience with another guy's 550whp before)

I tried to search some info via forums, even yoube, but I havent found any key info about many guys who has experiences with IAG 900 long block.

IN addition to this, I m also not pretty sure if my budget is big enough for buy other supporting parts to support with this 900 long block (I m located in Toronto, my budget is $ 30000 CAD for buying whole parts, including labour fee. This block is cost $17189.02 CAD plus TAX in Toronto local certified shop, so the remainng money is 12810.98 ). I supposed if I used Garrett GTX3076R gen2 turbo (or something else turbo may support me to shoot around 550), and FMIC kit ? And for WHP around 500, dual fuel pump is necessary right? maybe bigger injectors like 1300CC ??
Considering if anyone had IAG long block experience in Canada especially 900 Long block experiences or in the USA? I m appreciate to it!!!!!! Hope U all get alot money in 2021 LOL

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'd strongly consider calling a performance shop with extensive experience with these cars and going with their recommendations. Sounds like there's an IAG Gold installer there near you? I'd tell them your goals and go from there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd strongly consider calling a performance shop with extensive experience with these cars and going with their recommendations. Sounds like there's an IAG Gold installer there near you? I'd tell them your goals and go from there.
Yep dedinitely I know that. I just wanna know some info about rebuilding from guys who have experience before I go shop ask them

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
IAG SBs are renowned. They generally use 2618 pistons which have "short lives". I run one . . . one of the first they machined in house. Has about 75K on it and it is in need of a refresh.
IAG does great work in general.
GSC VTs are very common, not everyone loves them and we know of several failures. See User1029 as a start.

Would I buy a IAG LB? Absolutely :) , in fact I'd consider anything they offer . . . . even a cylinder 4 cooling kit 😅😂🤣

Reactions: Aaron Guo

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you gonna drive it like you stole it. There are still chances of engine failures. Return it to stock form and get your long block cover by warranty. I suggest you get a tune and learn your car before you throw 550whp under the hood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you gonna drive it like you stole it. There are still chances of engine failures. Return it to stock form and get your long block cover by warranty. I suggest you get a tune and learn your car before you throw 550whp under the hood.
LOL u really make me confused😂 what the hell is that I drive it like I stole it. the only reason I got ringland failure bcuz I didnt get protune and used wrong ots map.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IAG SBs are renowned. They generally use 2618 pistons which have "short lives". I run one . . . one of the first they machined in house. Has about 75K on it and it is in need of a refresh.
IAG does great work in general.
GSC VTs are very common, not everyone loves them and we know of several failures. See User1029 as a start.

Would I buy a IAG LB? Absolutely :) , in fact I'd consider anything they offer . . . . even a cylinder 4 cooling kit 😅😂🤣
It is really suprised me. First time heard about 2618 piston short lives. But I would like to know what other forged piston u r going to run? And what about the knock after u did engine rebuilding and good protune with iag block? pls😬

·
Registered
15 Posts
LOL u really make me confused😂 what the hell is that I drive it like I stole it. the only reason I got ringland failure bcuz I didnt get protune and used wrong ots map.

If you monitor the Knock and DAM, and correct your issue right away you will not had started this topic. Knock doesn't kill motor in a few events. This must be an ongoing issue.
OTS is not a "fit all" map. If that were the case, we wouldn't need pro tuner.

"Drive it like you stole" You full send your car regardless of knock and DAM like a "professional Sti racer"

·
Registered
721 Posts
It is really suprised me. First time heard about 2618 piston short lives. But I would like to know what other forged piston u r going to run? And what about the knock after u did engine rebuilding and good protune with iag block? pls😬
The short life he's referring to doesn't mean they are weak. But the softer material will wear down against the cylinder walls over time. So they are stronger against knock/detonation, but wear out faster than stock pistons will.

·
Registered
452 Posts
they shouldn't be wearing down...they don't rub, if they do you are using wrong oil lol...look at the postings of people who actually have continued to run their IAG engines for long miles and where the weak points are...they are a big shop and Im not saying that using a forged piston is good or bad, but that more needs to be researched, i might even suggest reach out to IAG...they have been very open and honest with me from what i can tell...another builder I have looked at was vinny ten racing, they have a longblock for much less than IAG and locally came more recommended

·
Registered
111 Posts
You can't go wrong with the IAG motor. I don't exactly have the 900, but they did completely build my motor with the Trojan 2.5 closed deck block, stock heads, GSC+1 valves and springs. With the Precision 5558 Gen 2 BB Turbo, it makes 401 awhp on 93 octane and 540 awhp on E85. I also have a FMIC, MAP UEL headers, catless downpipe with external wastegate, ID1700 injectors, and a radium dual tank with twin AEM340's. If you are going to spend that much money, I would have IAG fully build the motor. I have been in their shop and they have sterile rooms for the engine building. I would recommend calling IAG and getting their advice on the motor and your mods. This is my daily driver and I have about 12 miles on the motor so far and she runs great and does not burn oil.

·
Registered
721 Posts
they shouldn't be wearing down...they don't rub, if they do you are using wrong oil lol...look at the postings of people who actually have continued to run their IAG engines for long miles and where the weak points are...they are a big shop and Im not saying that using a forged piston is good or bad, but that more needs to be researched, i might even suggest reach out to IAG...they have been very open and honest with me from what i can tell...another builder I have looked at was vinny ten racing, they have a longblock for much less than IAG and locally came more recommended
The wear primarily occurs when the motor is cold and the pistons slap against the cylinder walls before they have expanded fully. This is a super well known thing...

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
they shouldn't be wearing down...
All moving parts that move, in anything, not just engines, and any material, wear. The softer and the higher the force the more wear. Always. Itr's why engines wear out . . .

they don't rub, if they do you are using wrong oil lol...look at the postings of people who actually have continued to run their IAG engines for long miles and where the weak points are...they are a big shop and Im not saying that using a forged piston is good or bad, but that more needs to be researched,
OMG :(
See above . . .
Though virtally all good pistons are forged, The term forged by itself means little.

The wear primarily occurs when the motor is cold and the pistons slap against the cylinder walls before they have expanded fully. This is a super well known thing...
And if there is more than a tiniest bit, it can easily be heard . . . .and it is a super well know thing - that need little or no more research - uh, if it ever gets cold you can come listen to my car these days - - now that it has a lot of wear at only 75Kmi. When it was new, it did not slap for at least a year, maybe two. Yes, with 75K mi on em, the my 05s 2618 pistons are due for a refresh . . . SB, gaskets, clutch, were at app $5k if I do it myself. Tack on another three $3K if I want a great shop (say IAG) to do it. I DD a high maintenance car . . . and it was worth it!

·
Registered
721 Posts
And if there is more than a tiniest bit, it can easily be heard . . . .and it is a super well know thing - that need little or no more research - uh, if it ever gets cold you can come listen to my car these days - - now that it has a lot of wear at only 75Kmi. When it was new, it did not slap for at least a year, maybe two. Yes, with 75K mi on em, the my 05s 2618 pistons are due for a refresh . . . SB, gaskets, clutch, were at app $5k if I do it myself. Tack on another three $3K if I want a great shop (say IAG) to do it. I DD a high maintenance car . . . and it was worth it!

How bad are yours at 75k? I'm new to 2618 pistons, currently at 4500 on mine. 75k is about what I'm expecting to get out of them based on what I've heard.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
How bad are yours at 75k? I'm new to 2618 pistons, currently at 4500 on mine. 75k is about what I'm expecting to get out of them based on what I've heard.
Actually mine was/never like wow until after it had 50k on it and under 20F. In other words even now at 75Kmi there is little if sny audible slap above 40F. Supposedly IAG has long done these as well as anyone.

But thats not really the issue. My car was just beginning to loose compression before 50k. Its low now. Nah, havent measured. Dont need to. I can feel it - and its still faster than most cars on the road. I think User went longer. Never understood why he “refreshed” until iwn experience.

IAG kind if promised me 60k. Its still on the road at 75k. They did awesome work and were awesome to deal with.

Ya know. You and a dozen other long term members are why I attached myself to tjis site, and were my original motivation for building my car. I never would have done it without this site.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts