IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My setup (I will switch voltage to A/F correction)

(Yes Jorge's tunes give me better mileage than a Prius
)

Main thing I want to draw people's attention to is feedback correction/fine knock learning. Say you are doing fine after a protune and few months down the line you get presumably a bad tank of gas. If you consistently keep the Cobb V3 attached as a gauge, and you do a pull, you'll see the changes in the max/min values of feedback correction (most of the time negative) after the pull. You will instantly know that you are pulling timing due to knock and you may want to investigate further with a full datalog or just take it easy on this tank of bad gas.

Significant knock = consistent and/or occurs across multiple cells

I think the Cobb V3 is a game changer in realtime knock monitoring which allows constant vigilance of factors that can damage piston ringlands where in the past, these factors went unnoticed for too long or a hassle to obtain in a lengthy datalog.

This makes Cobb AP an even more worthwhile purchase for your car. You gain such a comprehensive assessment of the health of the engine and tune with constant awareness of the DAM, FKC, and FKL. You know at a moment's notice something isn't right and it is your judgment call to not push the car too hard on this batch of bad gas or delve into it with a full datalog.

This is bad gas:

My DAM was 1 prior to this fill up. Right after I filled up with apparently bad 93 octane, I noticed -1.1 knock at partial throttle and DAM dropped to 0.8 which means timing was pulled by 20% across the board. My DAM came back to 1 after the next tank. Had I not been monitoring, I could have unknowingly encountered this repeatedly in the future and you could see how bad it would bode for my motor in the long term.

·
Registered
785 Posts
you sir, are a damn genius lol. Got any other shots of the mounting location? I may have to just upgrade because of all the real time advantages of this thing.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you sir, are a damn genius lol. Got any other shots of the mounting location? I may have to just upgrade because of all the real time advantages of this thing.
Double sided tape that came on the pod and stick it right onto side of radio :lol:

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotcha. Are you done building now?
yeah hopefully I can get 60k miles or more out of this built motor ;) I like the balance I have with power and drivability right now, who knows if I just completely decide to trash drivability in the future for power

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have mine mounted the same way, except I monitor boost, afr, fine knock, feedback knock, DAM, and MAF (g/s).

BTW, how did you hack your MPG like that? I wanna do that so I can feel better when I look at my MPG lol

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have mine mounted the same way, except I monitor boost, afr, fine knock, feedback knock, DAM, and MAF (g/s).

BTW, how did you hack your MPG like that? I wanna do that so I can feel better when I look at my MPG lol
get 2000cc injectors :lol:

I would change out A/F for A/F correction. The OEM sensor gives out worthless A/F values since it is narrowband, mostly. A/F correction can detect any leaks in your system or bad MAF sensor, etc if >8%

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Yeah, good suggestion, also speaking of your build, do you ever miss the quick spool, low end punch of the stock turbo?

·
Registered
785 Posts
yeah hopefully I can get 60k miles or more out of this built motor ;) I like the balance I have with power and drivability right now, who knows if I just completely decide to trash drivability in the future for power
I cant imagine what your drive back and forth to work is like haha

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, good suggestion, also speaking of your build, do you ever miss the quick spool, low end punch of the stock turbo?
:lol:

The insane spool up sound and 600 pound wall of torque hitting your face with a big turbo makes you quickly forget the cute, hello-kitty turbo that has an asthma attack past 5.5rpms.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cant imagine what your drive back and forth to work is like haha
The fact that I drive it everyday makes me not regret spending money at all on this car :tup:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Perfect gauge setup. I usually run just three gauges (Boost, FKL, Feedback Knock). I wish I could run it 24/7 but don't try it in my car when I go out. I have to unplug it and hide it.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think Cobb is still offering the exchange program. Send in V2 and get V3 for half off :tup:

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Perfect gauge setup. I usually run just three gauges (Boost, FKL, Feedback Knock). I wish I could run it 24/7 but don't try it in my car when I go out. I have to unplug it and hide it.
Yeah I think the middle ground is just hook it up at least one time for every new tank of gas to make sure that gas is decent quality :D

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 20 of 126 Posts