IW STi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found out something interesting the other day and figured I would share my observations.

This pertains to when you have reset your ECU whether by disconnecting the battery, pulling the ecu fuse, or using the Accessport feature.

I noticed that after resetting the ECU by one of the above methods, that it would take about 50 or so miles for the throttle to respond normally again. Immediately after resetting the ECU, many notice the pedal basically feels dead at lower inputs. The ECU has to relearn your driving habits. Well 50 miles for me would sometimes take one, two or even three trips and I hated the feeling like I had to learn how to drive the car all over again. I figured there was no way around this until I came across Subaru's written procedure for the Idle Relearn process. I reset my ecu to clear my fuel trims and gave it a shot.

The procedure is after the ecu is reset while the engine is cold,

1) make sure all accessories, lights, a/c, anything that can draw power is off before starting.

2)Turn Key to on position, wait 10-15 seconds for throttle blade to calibrate.

3) Start Engine, Let idle to operating temp (10-15 mins) until radiator fan cycles twice (important step).

4) Shut off engine, wait 10-15 seconds, restart and good to go.

I drove the car after doing this and noticed the dead feeling pedal as expected however, this time within 10-15 miles it was gone and everything was back to normal. It didn't take 50 miles or two or three days. I will now follow this procedure every time for quicker results.

·
Super Moderator
9,010 Posts
It's likely your fuel trims correcting for fueling errors, saving them to learned values. I flash pretty regularly compared to most and I have never had the dead pedal feeling aside from the normal slow-to-react DBW, which I've also adjusted to my liking.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried the Vishnu technique ?
I had to look that up to see what it was. It seems like an outdated technique, not too mention unsafe. Also I believe the 2015's now have gas brake over-ride so I don't believe that it would work. Correct me if I am wrong but that technique was basically to reset the ecu on a warm car then drive the car in 3rd gear and brake boost around 5psi 3500 rpm for ten seconds to set the IAM to full advance quicker on the older ECU's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts