IW STi Forum banner

1881 - 1900 of 1935 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,881 ·
New engine is in and its running. Next, dyno break in and the actual tune.

A lot of subtle improvements and additional control and safety mechanisms.
We are holding off on aero update as the car is fast enough for now. After we max our current pace we will install aero updates.

Eagle eyed will notice some of improvements.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hope all is well with your new engine! Car looks amazing.

Btw i was watching alot of old hot version/Best Motoring stuff during the pandemic and for once they were not in Japan and didn't think much of the video but suddenly saw a familiar looking bugeye ; )

The thumbnail is standard but clicking it will get you to the exact time you are first in picture. Your car gets in the picture a few times in the pits.

You've probably seen the video already and knew Keiichi Tsuchiya was there but yeah i'm proper late for this comment as it's 2 years ago. Anyway hope you got the see the legend himself : ) must have been an awesome day.

Also i apologise if this has already been mentioned. I tried to look for it in your journal posts from before oct 18' and didn't come across the video.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,883 ·
All good my friend. Why apologize for doing me a favour?

Yes, I saw him but didn't get to meet him as there were 256765 people trying to get his signature. Very polite and friendly guy. Waved at us while we were preparing for session one.

Yes tge best motoring guys were focusing on the 670hp? S2k next door. Lonewolf Racing or new name Vanta. We got some limited footage too.

I took a photo with Taniguchi back in 2016 I think. I really like his driving style.

Thank you for thumb nailing the video. Appreciate it!

Thank you, the car looks good. Cant wait to get back on track when the plandemic is over.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,884 ·
Update,

Still stabilizing the plandemic effects.

As you know, a whole host of electronics. Individual EGTs, crank case pressure, coolant pressure have been added.

New engine in, broken in last few weeks and was on dyno for all the revs and all the boost run and refining the tune and parameters.

Big changes on the horizon, we will be changing turbo and cooling package.

More info later.

IMG_20200703_173937_681.jpg
Tapatalk Cloud - Downlaoad File VID_115600721_102138_106.mp4

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,722 Posts
Cool looking very nice right there and sounds great!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,887 ·
Ok, finally some update.

We are changing the turbo set up completely. I am very excited about improvements this will bring to the table.

V mount is out also as we are upgrading the entire cooling package.

GIR is doing all the design and execution.

New engine, turbo kit and cooling package.
Plus some other upgrades.
This will be one of the biggest changes we have made to this car in years.

Touge Tuning Canada sorted the turbo for us. I appreciate the ongoing support!
If youre in Canada, this is the shop to go to.

Also look at all these essentials Dave has sent me. He obviously thought I need them. Lol

My IG has become a conspiracy theory one these days. Thanks to all the freaking lies we are being told...
Essentially, a man made bioeconomical weapon that will be used to bring about an Orwellian dystopia....

·
Registered
440 Posts
woah this new, the whole way the forum is setup.

anyway, this car is absolutely gorgeous. i'm just getting into racing myself and love finding other subarus to watch and learn and gain inspiration from. cant wait to see how the new setup turns out.

also how do you like the v mount? ive gone back and forth on getting one vs going fmic (started in autocross and stayed tmic for that). wtac and gridlife arent anywhere near me, so for now trackcross (most of a road course, not the back straight for my local tracks) and hpde days are in the future till i meet requirements for nasa tt. and i'm not limited in nasa tt rules for type of intercooler.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Off the shelf V mounts are not good and most of the ones we see out are not setup properly either. Stick with simple and easy to work with items.

Get more seat time and a lot of it, before building a subaru "race car" they are money pits.

Also look at all these essentials Dave has sent me. He obviously thought I need them. Lol

Idin, I wanted to put that glitter all over the package but I didn't want to fuck up that shitty turbo before you do. ;) lol

·
Registered
440 Posts
Off the shelf V mounts are not good and most of the ones we see out are not setup properly either. Stick with simple and easy to work with items.

Get more seat time and a lot of it, before building a subaru "race car" they are money pits.

Idin, I wanted to put that glitter all over the package but I didn't want to fuck up that shitty turbo before you do. ;) lol
really? why arent off the shelf v mounts good?

and trust me i know. i havent posted much but ive owned my car for 8 years, raced it for 4 of those years haha. my bank account feels it. it's fun where it's at now but of course i always want more.

·
Super Moderator
10,722 Posts
Bag of Dicks - You aren't right Dave, LoL.

·
Registered
601 Posts
really? why arent off the shelf v mounts good?

and trust me i know. i havent posted much but ive owned my car for 8 years, raced it for 4 of those years haha. my bank account feels it. it's fun where it's at now but of course i always want more.
The PW V Mount is not angled properly to extract heat efficiently and the IC is not big enough to sustain proper IAT for higher HP track cars. There is a reason why you don't see them on more TA cars. This car is moving away from it, I moved away from it.

Doing a more traditional layout allows you to use better off the shelf items long with replacing them much quicker and if need be upgrade the IC and Rad independently without much work.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,893 · (Edited)
Ladies and gentlemen. I present to you TBAG ver 2.5.

Can not wait for ver 3!

These are one of the biggest changes we have made to the car.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,894 · (Edited)
woah this new, the whole way the forum is setup.

anyway, this car is absolutely gorgeous. i'm just getting into racing myself and love finding other subarus to watch and learn and gain inspiration from. cant wait to see how the new setup turns out.

also how do you like the v mount? ive gone back and forth on getting one vs going fmic (started in autocross and stayed tmic for that). wtac and gridlife arent anywhere near me, so for now trackcross (most of a road course, not the back straight for my local tracks) and hpde days are in the future till i meet requirements for nasa tt. and i'm not limited in nasa tt rules for type of intercooler.

Thank you Karlot! Glad you approve sir.

Doing a Subaru at this level is "painful" to say the least. Even with a significant budget I am completely dependent on the support I receive specially from GIR. I honestly thing a light tuned corvette or a K24 S2000 or EVO are better starting points. For me it is a personal connection to this car and people I have known through the car that keeps the journey worth it. If you are still serious sticking with a Subaru I recommend conservative power goals.

We have high hopes for the new set up too. It will address a lot of issues that we have been struggling with for a few years. Ultimately, nothing is perfect and everything as a compromise but we are confident this is a step forward.

V mount and specially PW one? Where do I start? It works "ok" for up to 500whp but even then bleeding is a pita (did I lift the head or is it the bleeding gas bubbles at every single session) and is terrible aerodynamically. As Dave said, go to a traditional set up with ideally OTS items.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thank you Karlot! Glad you approve sir.

Doing a Subaru at this level is "painful" to say the least. Even with a significant budget I am completely dependent on the support I receive specially from GIR. I honestly thing a light tuned corvette or a K24 S2000 or EVO are better starting points. For me it is a personal connection to this car and people I have known through the car that keeps the journey worth it. If you are still serious sticking with a Subaru I recommend conservative power goals.

We have high hopes for the news set up too. It will address a lot of issues that we have been struggling with for a few years. Ultimately, nothing is perfect and everything as a compromise but we are confident this is a step forward.

V mount and specially PW one? Where do I start? It works "ok" for up to 500whp but even then bleeding is a pita (did I lift the head or is it the bleeding gas bubbles at every single session) and is terrible aerodynamically. As Dave said, go to a traditional set up with ideally OTS items.
i had no idea the v mount was that bad. guess you just pushed me towards a fmic lol. I have a big tmic at the moment, which worked great for autocross but does get a little hotter while tracking. I ran my first non autocross track day about 2 months ago and i love it. i have had my sti for 8 years now and i completely understand the connection to the car that you are referring to, i have that same connection. luckily i do have a connection as i used to work at mach v motorsports and they still do much of the work for my car, I am also only about 1.5 hours from IAG. As i keep moving up in my career my budget seems to be getting bigger, and for now i'm only doing trackcross (think autocross on a road course, everything but the long back straight) and hpde days. once i have enough experience and can qualify for nasa tt that will be my goal to run in. (gridlife would be awesome but it's not close to me as of yet). I honestly plan to go with a rotated 30R setup over my current 20g eventually, and would like to get approximately 500whp on e85. but at this moment my main goal is seat time and really learning how to push the car and improve my own driving.

i'll definitely be following this thread, as it's one of my favorite cars i have come across. be sure to keep posting,

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,898 ·
Looking great mate! When I get down there in Oct, I'll be sure to make a mess of it ;)

Thanks mate!

I committed quite heavily to this step.
Two weeks ago had a long meeting at GIR finishing at 10pm. We decided where the car will be in 2021 and then decision making time with the goal of:
Being competitive obviously.
Having a car in 95% of its racing form in Oct 2021.
Obviously there are few items missing from our list but that is the problem with any racing program: Budget.

I will show the final product in mid Jan. But it will look and sound different to what you remember. I hope I don't miss the high pitch tone of the car specially the de-stroked engine. (that thing was scary).
We are hoping to start testing by Feb maximum.

And Oct...It is about time we won the damn thing after being so close but so far for a number of years now.

1881 - 1900 of 1935 Posts