IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1878 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Re: Project TBAG, Dry sumped STI GT3 RS!

Update is that basically there IS no update.
Regardless of how hard I try, there doesn't seem to be any meaningful progress.

We got the cross member and T brace from TSS Fab, but I am still waiting for Element Tuning to give me an update on the situation regarding the last package...

6th Oct is supposed to be the debut but, the car and the engine is still in pieces with no ETA on the last package. It is starting to look suboptimal as we need dyno, break in, testing...
Very frustration.

Beatrush trunk cage is out of stock and built to order it seems. The 2-3 vendors I talked to can not deliver in time. I am getting an importer to order and ship one directly from Japan.
Will also try to get a set of Gen 2 Direzza Starspec.

Of course I can always get GT-spec but I already have a few parts from Beatrsuh and thought it would help the appearance of the Frankenstein car.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts

Hang in there, t. Nothing ever goes on schedule, especially when there are other people involved and things are beyond your own control. The more complex the project, the greater the frustration factor.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Project TBAG, Dry sumped STI GT3 RS!

Thanks Bruce.
You are 100% right. But can't help getting a bit frustrated.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)

Changed my mind regarding surge tanks:

Bought:

The all new Aftermarket Industries designed (Design Registation No: AU 348836 S) billet 1.7L Dual Port Billet Undercar Surge Tank kit with Twin fuel pump bracket (design for specially for the Bosch 044 Motorsport fuel pumps). These Surge Tanks are made from aerospace grade 6061 T6 billet aluminium and are designed to provide maximum fuel flow to the rest of your fuel system.

This system is design specifically for high pressure applications; the surge tank walls are 8mm thick and the threads for the fittings are -8AN as standard. We can also supply a larger -8AN to -10AN fuel tank overflow/return fitting for those who are operating a single or multiple high pressure intank fuel pumps such as the Walbro 255lhr or 400lph fuel pumps.

The design of the tank in this instance will allow the system to return fuel back to the fuel tank/fuel cell at the same rate fuel is both supplied to the surge tank from an intank high pressure fuel pump/s and the return fuel line from the fuel rail/s. This will eliminate any potential pressure build-up in the tank which would otherwise cause material expansion. The tanks are also hard anodised in black to withstand corrosive ethonal based fuels.

Package includes the following items:

1.7L billet surge tank (3 x -8AN fittings)
Billet twin Bosch 044 bracket set (includes stainless steel fasterners and NBR anti-vibration inserts)
2 x Bosch -8AN inlet/outlet fittings
Billet under car bracket (includes stainless steel fastners)
Viton rubber 0-rings included

·
Registered
815 Posts

Thanks to Yazel for advice:tup:

Bought:

Image Link
Image Link
Let me know what you think after you get some use out of them. I personally think you made the right choice (especially over the RS3 Version 2's). The new RS3's aren't impressing me as much as I would have hoped.

Dunlop just released the ZII Star Spec too and I am kind of scared to try them and possibly end up with a tire that doesn't perform any better than the first version :confused:

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)

I can imagine how frustrating it is waiting on things and having a deadline ... hang in there man :) this is going te be an awesome car .. can't wait to see the results!
Thanks Guardian, much appreciated. :tup:

It is heart warming to see the IWSTI society beside me.

It IS frustrating, I can assure you that. Haven't driven the car since Dec and itching to get back behind the wheel.

What we definitely don't want to do is to rush things just for a state wide event and risk damaging the car or me (flash back: rear left brake lock up at 200km/h and massive spin, eventually coming to a halt 50cm from a concrete wall, under 2cm thick dust):eek:.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)

Sending you positive vibes, Idin

Remember... No frustrations, disapointments, hold-ups

Not a true racecar project ! ;)
Thanks Marc, much appreciated.:tup:

I know I know...on a deeper level, but sometime the 5y/o child inside me takes over.

Haha, I would argue it is merely a GT3RS wanna be :D

Appreciate the support!

Let me know what you think after you get some use out of them. I personally think you made the right choice (especially over the RS3 Version 2's). The new RS3's aren't impressing me as much as I would have hoped.

Dunlop just released the ZII Star Spec too and I am kind of scared to try them and possibly end up with a tire that doesn't perform any better than the first version :confused:
I hope so.
What I was thinking was:

Switching from a stock EJ207 to a built 2.5l ,not only increasing the power (248whp to 420whp) but also a different power delivery curve.
And new cross members, Cusco LSD alignment and weight distribution mean a vastly different car.

My previous set up was very tail happy, oversteer on turn in and trying to keep the momentum as I didn't have much power (EJ207 likes to be revved hard to get anything meaningful), with the new diff and increased power, I realise that I need to change the set up as at 420 whp, things happen much more quickly. Increased camber and softening the rear sway bar a bit to start with and see how it will behave.

Until I learn the literally new car and we come with an optimal set up, I need something with a wide and predictable transition zone and with good durability. As, I want to use one set for dyno, break in (majority of it will be on dyno), shake down and first two events. Based on your feedback, Rivas were the obvious choice.

Ps, a rant towards Tirerack:

They have signed an agreement to stop shipping Hankook, Dunlop and Toyo tires to Australia. Through local shops, I was quoted 1440 AUD (1339 USD) for four RS3 ver2 and 1500 AUD for four Direzza Z1s:eek::eek::eek:

To me this is just unacceptable to "get ripped off" this much. Tirerack's new agreement is a clear example of supporting monopolising markets and spurious mark ups. :tdown:

Ps, Phil has been away on an emergency and I am sure will do his best (as he always has been).

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

While we are waiting:

Got Beatrush alternator pulley.

Got update from Veloce:

AC: out
Cruise control: out
Trunk carpet: out

·
Registered
815 Posts

Those prices are fucking insane! What size tires are those? For us 245/40/17 tires in any of those tires are $700-ish.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

Update:

1- Pulled out of the event on 6th Oct. Realistically, there was simply not enough time to do it properly:

Complete the install, dyno and break in, trouble shoot and test and set up. To much to do in 6-7 weeks only.

Next event is the Skyline Nationals time attack, on a track I have never driven on before. At least few EVOs and an APR tuned TTRS to fend off...

2- Ordered brake ducts and sport mirrors. Will give more info when they arrive, just as a teaser, they are Japanese, one is FRP and the other is carbon :)

3- Possibility of some custom Titanium parts (air box,...). Will update when everything else is in.

41 - 60 of 1878 Posts