IW STi Forum banner

241 - 260 of 1879 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Re: Project TBAG, Dry sumped STI GT3 RS!

Tbh I am sick of parts at the moment.

Race seat, Spec C rack, front diff, Varis bonnet and trunk, JUN front bumper and that's it.
Before getting a reserve engine, lol.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #245 (Edited)

1- I am upgrading the coilovers to the new RCE Tarmac 3s. Swift springs.

Why?

Because while extremely happy with T2s, I have been looking at an upgrade.

Short list was T3s, JRZ, MCA.

Ended up with T3s as they are KW based and can be rebuilt and serviced in Australia (a problem with JRZ in Australia).

MCA gold series is a full race custom and hand built one, extremely successful in WTAC (pretty much all podium finishes for 3-4 years now). But at 10K it was a bit too much.

Info on MCAs:
Gold Series | MCA Suspension

2- Still waiting for Mr T3h clap to answer my wheel consultation request. :confused:

3- Big credit to:

Phil, answering our plumbing question in 5 minutes.

Yazel, for an amazingly detailed answer to my question.

Myles, very helpful and informative as usual.

4- Wiring and electrical expert booked early Jan.

5- Just need to break the bad news to Mario:

We are going 5x114,upgrading the front diff and new steering rack. New wheels and tires and...need a lot of fender pulling.

6- Now, I need to get my secret aesthetical mod organised.

7- Updated the first page, while trying not to remember the costs. :eek:

·
Registered
815 Posts

Good choice on the new dampers! The rebuild convenience makes them the best choice for you for sure. I think the only reason you should ever consider going to ultra mega baller status shocks (MCA/JRZ Race series/something even more pimpy from KW) is if you go insane with aero. Those shocks will probably be better apt to the high frequency of the spring rates needed to keep up with the aero.

Also if you need oem part numbers for everything you need to convert to 5x114, hit me up. I made a list for all of that recently with turn in concepts. It can be done for so cheap even while doing it right.

I think I need to organize a trip to wtac somehow to check out this car/vacation :D

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts

Clap is on vacation.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #248

Good choice on the new dampers! The rebuild convenience makes them the best choice for you for sure. I think the only reason you should ever consider going to ultra mega baller status shocks (MCA/JRZ Race series/something even more pimpy from KW) is if you go insane with aero. Those shocks will probably be better apt to the high frequency of the spring rates needed to keep up with the aero.

Also if you need oem part numbers for everything you need to convert to 5x114, hit me up. I made a list for all of that recently with turn in concepts. It can be done for so cheap even while doing it right.

I think I need to organize a trip to wtac somehow to check out this car/vacation :D
I agree, specially considering that the car will be on extreme street tires 95% of time, I don't need silly rates. I think these compare to JRZ Rs Pros give or take. Their valving will cover up to 1000 spring rates which is a massive margin.

I thought that LIC kit is complete?

LIC Motorsports Front/Rear 5x100 to 5x114.3 Conversion Kit (2004 STi) Subaru LIC 042004.1 | Buy Online from LIC Motorsports

Let me know if its missing anything.

Yazel, here is the official invite:

Even if I don't compete, I will be going, it is more fun than F1 imho. You can get to pit area and look at cars and mechanics and talk to drivers...

We can go together, Marc maybe coming also.

AND if I go, you can join the crew. Come with us and see me come last. :)

Clap is on vacation.
Good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
815 Posts

I agree, specially considering that the car will be on extreme street tires 95% of time, I don't need silly rates. I think these compare to JRZ Rs Pros give or take. Their valving will cover up to 1000 spring rates which is a massive margin.

I thought that LIC kit is complete?

LIC Motorsports Front/Rear 5x100 to 5x114.3 Conversion Kit (2004 STi) Subaru LIC 042004.1 | Buy Online from LIC Motorsports

Let me know if its missing anything.

Yazel, here is the official invite:

Even if I don't compete, I will be going, it is more fun than F1 imho. You can get to pit area and look at cars and mechanics and talk to drivers...

We can go together, Marc maybe coming also.

AND if I go, you can join the crew. Come with us and see me come last. :)

They definitely do compare to the RS Pro's, and you get the added benefit of the low speed compression adjustment! I think the two shocks are very comparable and have minor differences that really make one or the other better for certain people. Like in your case, rebuilds will be much easier with KW's and you get that extra adjustment. For us in the U.S., I would argue JRZ is easier to work with for rebuilds, but that is just how it goes!

I also agree for use with street tires, you will be more than prepared!

Also, that kit is complete! The only thing about that kit is you will need 5x100 front strut housings for them to fit as they are machined for 5x100 front strut housings. I figured for simplicity sake you would just order dampers for 5x114 cars (05-07 STi) to go with your new 5x114 conversion. You can do it either way. I am pretty sure (not 100%) it could be cheaper by a decent amount if you bought the oem parts from the right seller.

This list below with prices and part numbers is what I am finding for all of the parts you need online (at least here in the U.S.) without the special machined housings for 5x100 struts from LIC.

Front hubs 5x114 (wheel bearings/hubs/studs) (x2): $263.44 (28373FE001)
Right knuckle: $111.65 (28313FE060)
Left Knuckle: $111.65 (28313FE070)
Wheel bearing bolts (x8): $30 (901000287)
Brake Caliper Bolts (x4): $12.64 (901120103)
Axle nuts (x4): $15.60 (28044AA001)
Bolts for lower ball joints (x2): $1.98 (901000060)
Rear hubs 5x114 (x2): $263.44 (28462FE011)
Rear wheel bearing snap rings (x2): $5.52 (28035AA010)
Rear wheel bearing kits (x2): $180 (this includes part #'s 28016PA010 x1, 28015AA070 x1, and 28015AA080 x1 for each side)
LIC ABS speedo ring spacers: $90

Total: $1085.92 for full 5x114 swap utilizing current axles on the car and 5x114 strut bodies up front (I think this is everything needed other than new ball joints maybe?). Those prices are taken from subarugenuineparts.com. So it may be more expensive elsewhere or whatever, but I think there may be money to be saved.

If you are wanting to still utilize 5x100 front strut housings for whatever reason, that LIC kit is really about your only option. But I figure if you are going through the trouble of the full swap and getting new wheels, might as well get 5x114 dampers too! Hope this information is somewhat helpful.

You will have to keep me up to date with the dates of WTAC this upcoming year as well and I will see what I can do. I would absolutely love to come out and experience Australia for the first time as well! I think it would be an absolute blast!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #250 (Edited)

They definitely do compare to the RS Pro's, and you get the added benefit of the low speed compression adjustment! I think the two shocks are very comparable and have minor differences that really make one or the other better for certain people. Like in your case, rebuilds will be much easier with KW's and you get that extra adjustment. For us in the U.S., I would argue JRZ is easier to work with for rebuilds, but that is just how it goes!

I also agree for use with street tires, you will be more than prepared!

Also, that kit is complete! The only thing about that kit is you will need 5x100 front strut housings for them to fit as they are machined for 5x100 front strut housings. I figured for simplicity sake you would just order dampers for 5x114 cars (05-07 STi) to go with your new 5x114 conversion. You can do it either way. I am pretty sure (not 100%) it could be cheaper by a decent amount if you bought the oem parts from the right seller.

This list below with prices and part numbers is what I am finding for all of the parts you need online (at least here in the U.S.) without the special machined housings for 5x100 struts from LIC.

Front hubs 5x114 (wheel bearings/hubs/studs) (x2): $263.44 (28373FE001)
Right knuckle: $111.65 (28313FE060)
Left Knuckle: $111.65 (28313FE070)
Wheel bearing bolts (x8): $30 (901000287)
Brake Caliper Bolts (x4): $12.64 (901120103)
Axle nuts (x4): $15.60 (28044AA001)
Bolts for lower ball joints (x2): $1.98 (901000060)
Rear hubs 5x114 (x2): $263.44 (28462FE011)
Rear wheel bearing snap rings (x2): $5.52 (28035AA010)
Rear wheel bearing kits (x2): $180 (this includes part #'s 28016PA010 x1, 28015AA070 x1, and 28015AA080 x1 for each side)
LIC ABS speedo ring spacers: $90

Total: $1085.92 for full 5x114 swap utilizing current axles on the car (I think this is everything needed other than new ball joints maybe?). Those prices are taken from subarugenuineparts.com. So it may be more expensive elsewhere or whatever, but I think there may be money to be saved.

If you are wanting to still utilize 5x100 front strut housings for whatever reason, that LIC kit is really about your only option. But I figure if you are going through the trouble of the full swap and getting new wheels, might as well get 5x114 dampers too! Hope this information is somewhat helpful.

You will have to keep me up to date with the dates of WTAC this upcoming year as well and I will see what I can do. I would absolutely love to come out and experience Australia for the first time as well! I think it would be an absolute blast!
Thanks for help.

I ordered the coil overs in 5x114. I thought that plus the LIC kit would be enough?

Excellent!
Do it.

These are the dates for WTAC, I guarantee, it is a lot of fun, even watching.

Event Schedule | World Time Attack Challenge

·
Registered
815 Posts

Okay well since you ordered the coilovers in 5x114, that kit from LIC you linked will not work. That kit they have posted for 2004 STi fitment has specially machined housings they make so you can convert to 5x114 and keep 5x100 style (04 STi fitment) struts.

I am not sure if LIC has just a plain 5x114 swap kit as well where you can utilize 5x114 dampers, but that is what you want. Otherwise that huge list of part numbers is what will be exactly equivalent to the LIC kit, but to fit 5x114 dampers. If that makes sense?

I will try to remember to keep up with that event dates page!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #252

Okay well since you ordered the coilovers in 5x114, that kit from LIC you linked will not work. That kit they have posted for 2004 STi fitment has specially machined housings they make so you can convert to 5x114 and keep 5x100 style (04 STi fitment) struts.

I am not sure if LIC has just a plain 5x114 swap kit as well where you can utilize 5x114 dampers, but that is what you want. Otherwise that huge list of part numbers is what will be exactly equivalent to the LIC kit, but to fit 5x114 dampers. If that makes sense?

I will try to remember to keep up with that event dates page!
So I just need the parts you listed since I am doing the wheels and coilovers regardless?

Sounds good. :tup:

·
Registered
815 Posts

I'm thinking that is the case! Should save some money and be the exact same setup.

I'm considering replacing my front hubs and knuckles with the 5x114 stuff, re-drilling the hubs for 5x100 so I can keep my current wheels, and using 5x114 struts seeing as I'm getting new dampers. The 5x114 front knuckles and hubs are so much nicer for track cars, even if I'm not going to be on a road course for sure. My car might end up being a total suspension Frankenstein. But Frankenstein setups kind of seems like the subaru way to modify :lol:

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #254

I'm thinking that is the case! Should save some money and be the exact same setup.

I'm considering replacing my front hubs and knuckles with the 5x114 stuff, re-drilling the hubs for 5x100 so I can keep my current wheels, and using 5x114 struts seeing as I'm getting new dampers. The 5x114 front knuckles and hubs are so much nicer for track cars, even if I'm not going to be on a road course for sure. My car might end up being a total suspension Frankenstein. But Frankenstein setups kind of seems like the subaru way to modify :lol:

Exactly, I just don't feel comfortable enough (not any more) to push 1.6g through old knuckles and hubs. Talking about Frankenstein, with 5x114, the only thing stock will be the shell and the 6 speed.

Ps, need to refresh the axles also.

·
Registered
815 Posts

Especially pushing 1.6g through old press in hubs! They already suck and cause tons of pad knockback on my car that doesn't experience nearly the same cornering loads as your car.

What kind of axles front axles came on the bug Sti's? Male/male or male/female? On our USDM 2004 STi's it depended on the build date which type we got.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

I think, in terms of how much you actually need to do to an older platform to come alive.
It shows dedication and willingness to persist at a fairly high level. I respect the focus on the vision.

241 - 260 of 1879 Posts