IW STi Forum banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: Project Silverstreak: Time Attack #3 pics and vid!

Finally got the new air oil separator installed!

Image Link

Image Link

Here's some pics of the canister for the PCV system. Routing the hoses around everything was difficult, but one benefit of this system is it's adjustable. You can change the angles of the fittings as well as the separator itself so the hoses will clear even if only by a few mm's. I also chose this system because there was no question that I could retain my strut tower brace.

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

By the way this is not how the kit comes. I added the AN fittings, changed to Parker socketless hose, modified the PCV cross over tube as well as a few other things. Basically I used the canisters and mounting brackets from the original kit. I'm sure it would work fine as it was, but I saw room for improvement.
This looks bad ass!!! Makes me wish I got this one now.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Re: Project Silverstreak: Moroso air oil separator installed!

Yea, I like the way the install came out too. Now I'm curious about how well they'll function.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Re: Project Silverstreak: Moroso air oil separator installed!

Getting ready ready for the 2018 season of Time Attack....

New tires are mounted and ready to go. This time I had Tirerack heat cycle them. I'm hoping they'll stay grippy longer. We'll see.

I also pulled out the STI two-point brace and replaced it with a Oswald Performance three-point brace. I've heard it makes a noticeable difference. I'm looking forward to finding out.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Re: Project Silverstreak: Ready for a new season of Time Attack!!!

That brace looks sweet! I'm definitely curious to hear how like you both that and heat cycling the tires prior to competition.

I'll miss next weekend's race sadly as I'll be in Phoenix for work. Good luck, drive fast! I'm looking forward to the May one!

·
Super Moderator
8,442 Posts

I got my Oswald triangle braces about 8 years ago because my rear window would creak when getting out of my driveway, and that was with a standard "strut bar". I haven't had it creak since. I personally think it is a good buy.

Looks like you have a tire machine? I need to get one once I build a shop. It'd pay for itself in track tired since I don't balance them. I've got a set of slicks to mount on a set of wheels right now and have not gotten to it.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #126

That brace looks sweet! I'm definitely curious to hear how you both that and heat cycling the tires prior to competition.

I'll miss next weekend's race sadly as I'll be in Phoenix for work. Good luck, drive fast! I'm looking forward to the May one!
Sorry to hear you have to miss the event.

Getting the tires heat cycled was almost a necessity after I overheated the last set at the Growlfest last year. That was only their second event too. They were never the same after that. From my experience the SUR4G's are definitely less tolerant than the RE71R's when it comes to heat. Thing is I like their driving dynamic better. They're more tolerant of higher slip angles which suits a Subaru that doesn't turn so much as it flicks. Now that I know how to treat these tires I'll be watching their temps more closely.

I like the way the brace kind of blends in. It looks stealthy to me. It's definitely one solid piece of engineering though. I think these grippier tires were using now are flexing the chassis more so I'm trying to counteract that effect. I have a couple more minor chassis mods in the works. Hopefully I'll get them done soon.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #127

I got my Oswald triangle braces about 8 years ago because my rear window would creak when getting out of my driveway, and that was with a standard "strut bar". I haven't had it creak since. I personally think it is a good buy.

Looks like you have a tire machine? I need to get one once I build a shop. It'd pay for itself in track tired since I don't balance them. I've got a set of slicks to mount on a set of wheels right now and have not gotten to it.
With every testimony I have higher hopes for the effectiveness of this brace. :lol:
I actually think these cars flex a lot more than most think they do.

I do have a tire mounter and a balancer. You really can't beat the convenience. I got the tire machine used from a place in Denver called Colorado Automotive Equipment Repair. It's a Coats rim clamp. It needed some paint and some general prettying up, but otherwise worked perfectly.

The balancer I bought new from a company called Derek Weaver. It's not an elite brand like Coats, but it has worked perfectly on everything from trailer tires to the big heavy meats on my Power Wagon. It was rough at first learning how to mount/ dismount tires. There's a lot of nuances involved, but now I don't know how I'd get along without them.

·
Super Moderator
8,442 Posts
I think you'll like the brace... I've not regretted the purchase.

How much would you charge to let me mount a couple sets of wheels myself? ?

I have some tires to mount and balance on my Jeep (summer tires on separate wheels) and slick to dismounted and remount new slicks for the S2000.

I hate going to shops... With a passion.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #129

I hear ya about going to shops, but I'm not interested is letting anyone use my machines or providing tire changing services.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #130 (Edited)

Well Sunday was an interesting day. I think heat cycling the Nexen's paid off. I ended up taking 3 runs in a row on my third go round. First I caught the guy in front of me then timing issues caused a second rerun. The tires stuck really well on the first rerun, but started to get greasy on the second rerun.

On my fourth official run while launching I broke another left rear half-shaft. Apparently it's a rare skill as there is not much demand for these things. While ordering a new one I found out there's only six in the country at the moment. I bought two. We had a record 270 drivers at the event too which was crazy.

Also PPIR added curbing to the new sections of the infield ...which is cool, but also a bit scary. One VW got up on two wheels a couple times. A lot of cars spun too.

Next on the agenda... a trailer.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #131

Well I finally pulled the broken axle. Unlike the first axle I broke last year this one broke in two places, but the outer stub-shaft shattered like Narsil under the hand of Sauron.

This time the inner spline sheared from the axle.

...and the stub shaft speaks for itself.

This is with Nexen SUR4G's in 245/40R17. Axle breakage was never an issue before the RE71R's and then these tires. The grip from either of these tires out on course is amazing, but now care is required on the launch. Axles are not cheap and coming home on a roll back sucks.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #132

A little more stiffening...

I was curious so I decided to give something a try. I welded a tie bar in between the legs in the front subframe.

I didn't lose any ground clearance.

...and by spacing it back slightly I am still able to easily change the tranny oil.

I got the idea from lower arm bar equipped on the Spec C Type RA-R.

I figured welding to the subframe directly would be more effective and allow me to drop the tranny oil without removing the bar. This is one of the least expensive mods I've done. I paid $3.88 for the steel. It's 1.5" x 3/4" 14 gauge box tubing. 14 gauge is very close to the thickness of the OE subframe. Then it cost $10 to weld it in. The STI bar seems to be around $300 overseas.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #133

In other news...

This is my truck. I upgraded from my Frontier because I want to start trailering to the track. I left the Nissan stock. This truck will be the same more or less. However KC had a deal on lights I just couldn't pass up. Thing is before installing the light bar I wanted to repack the winch. It seems the winches that come on these Powerwagons don't have enough grease in them from the factory. I got it done, but I'm pretty spoiled working on all the relatively lightweight Subaru parts. Nothing on this truck is light. It was a tough job. I repacked it with an abundant amount of Redline CV-2 grease because I really don't want to do this again.

I forgot to take a before pic, but I was able to get the planetary drive pretty clean before repacking. There was an adequate amount of grease on the gears themselves as well as other critical areas, but the gear housings were bare and dry. Any moisture and they would have started to rust.

Much better! I know planetary gear reduction is ridiculous, but still I'm amazed that tiny hex shaft drives a 12,000lb winch.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #134

Here's some pics from Sunday's event. The car felt great... very stable and confident. My times were a bit off though. I was a sleep deprived and I didn't go as deep as I should of in one key area because Jersey barriers make me nervous when heading straight towards them.

Anyway having Tirerack heat cycle the tires seems to really be working out with these Nexen's. Even though they had three back to back runs on them from the first event they were still plenty sticky this round. I'm trying to launch differently now too. It's a bit more difficult to get right, but still way better then destroying another axle. Ambient temps were 100-103ºF and surprisingly the car didn't pull much timing. I suspect liberal application of the intercooler sprayer may have helped.

Got a little wheel lift here. I'll have to address that at some point.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #135 (Edited)
Time Attack Round 4!

We had our 4th time attack event yesterday. The course was different then usual and threw a lot of driver's off including myself. The turns came faster much more like autocross. I was trying to make the car transition and take a set quicker. I think I've gotten a bit complacent with tuning the car lately. I was really trying to focus on driving it consistently so I didn't want to mess with it. This last event however forced me to change things up. I found some time by adjusting the dampers as well as changing the tire pressure. Heat cycling the tires has made a huge difference. They are staying super grippy this time. I almost passed on Nexen's this time around, but I'm so glad I didn't. They do not like the cold though. Even at 50 or 60ºF RE71R's work better.

Anyway here's a vid of my last run which I really needed. Clouds rolled in, but the rain held off. I was doing a lot of praying about the time my 5th run was coming up. Everything seemed to cool down just enough to optimize grip both in the tires and track surface. A lot of drivers were posting faster times. A friend of mine running a very well sorted 05 STI managed to lift a front tire. I've seen Porsche's and BMW's do that, but never a Suby.

I can't get the video to embed so I just posted a link.
Run #5 PPIR TA Round 4 - YouTube

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #136

Well it's been a while since I've done an update. To sum up the rest of the season went OK. The courses were fun and challenging. I also got to drive a friend's Lotus Exige at one event. That car is a hoot!

I did wear some parts out too. The clutches and springs in the rear diff are done and probably have been for a while. The same can be said for the AST 4100's. They had a good run. I got almost 5 years out of them when they are suppose to be rebuilt every two or so. The latter part of this season they unfortunately started hopping. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them yet, but I figure it was time to move on to something a bit more advanced.

These are Two-way KW Clubsports. Having compression adjustment will be nice now that I feel more confident that I can get them dialed in. My Spring rates will be going up too.

By the way I think this happened because the front dampers are starting to hit the bumpstops. It made for a cool pic though.

The Cusco diff cover is part of my rear diff upgrade. I'm glad I ordered it back in August. It took 70 days to get here. It's nicely made and should be effective. My only complaint is I don't like the plugs that are included. They are straight-threaded with just a tapered head to seal them. There is also no adapter for the temp sensor.

Luckily I have an abundance of knowledge when it comes to the OEM oil plugs in Subaru's oil pans. I replaced the larger M20 x 1.5 plugs with that from an older Legacy. The added bonus with this particular part is it has a built in magnet. The smaller plug is from a later model WRX or BRZ. The red gaskets are from Belmetric.com since you can't use the the OE steel compression gaskets on aluminum.

Luckily the smaller ports meant for Cusco's external cooler kit are M16 x 1.5. This happens to be the same thread size and pitch as the temp sensor itself. I plan on dedicating the upper port to the sensor. As far as the diff itself they'll be more to come.

I found this humorous. I guess you can't get more JDM than this...

·
Registered
654 Posts

How did you determine that the rear diff was done? I'm becoming suspicious mine isn't "normal".

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Re: Project Silverstreak: New diff and coilovers incoming...

The preload and lock up on the clutches goes away. If I have somebody hold one rear wheel I can pretty easily spin the other. The break away is suppose to be 75+ lbs. My rear diff has slight resistance, but will free spin for a half turn or more.

On the track the issue is apparent. I started to hear the front inside tire spin and scramble for traction. It never did that until recently. Basically the rear diff is no longer pushing the car through the corners. Instead the front diff is trying to pull it through.

Here's the rub... when the rear pushes the car through a corner the car stays tucked and tight. When the front tries to pull the car through the car pushes to the outside. This has been costing me quite a bit of time on course.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #139 (Edited)

I figured I'd post an update. Things are coming together albeit a bit slower than I would like.

Since my clutches in the diff were done I thought it might be a good time for an upgrade. The OEM clutch type diff was never really made for what I'm doing with it anyway. They don't seem to hold up in autocross for very long. It's being replaced with an OS Giken Super Lock that has been custom tuned for my application. I've read about what these things can do and I'm pretty excited.

It's progressing, but I'm waiting on parts...

I built an adapter so I can clamp the diff housing in the vise while working on it. It works very well.

Next up are the new coilovers.

I was able to use my old camber plates. There's nothing wrong with the KW plates, but I like the Vorschlag's better. The bearing's in the upper perch is more substantial and they add caster. My one problem is the aluminum on the front plates are starting to crack so I had to order some new parts.

Most of the parts transferred over. The spring perches were already 60mm. I was even able to reuse the front spool bushings. The AST's also used the same bushing in the rear. The KW's required a spool nut which Vorschlag sells.

I was able to reuse the front springs as they too were 60mm. The rear springs are new. I went from 500 to 650 then reduced my swaybar rate by about the same amount. If it goes like I want it to the car's balance should be the same, but I'll get some more independent movement out of the rear suspension. I'm trying to not lift the inside tire or at least lift it less. In the event that does happen the diff should take care of it. That's why I went through the trouble of having it tuned.

I don't trust the plastic spring perches. I had some new ones made from 7075. I then polished them and had them hard-anodized.

Left over parts. I really wish KW would sell a damper only version of these coilovers. This was a lot of wasted money.

Lastly I picked up some new more aggressive brake pads. These are on the Lotus I got to drive and they felt awesome.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #140

Yesterday I was working on cleanup and it occurred to me that sharing my methods might be useful to others.

This is a 3M bristlebrush. Different grits come in different colors. White is a pretty fine grit. They take a little getting used to. They work better at lower speeds which isn't always easy on a die grinder. The techs at Hueberger use these quite a bit. They are outstanding at quickly removing old Fujibond even on aluminum. Of course care should be taken as aluminum is a soft material.

Here's how it worked on my block when I installed a Killer B pan.

Yesterday I used it to clean up the bearing caps and diff housing.

It worked great at removing the rust on the housing.

It also did a great job at removing the corrosion from the bearing caps. Note: I did polish the caps after cleaning them up with my bench buffer.

While I was at it I thought I'd do some test fitting. I found that the studs that go into the new diff cover stick out about 2mm too far. I'm going to cut the threads down a bit more with a bottom tap.

121 - 140 of 149 Posts