IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Re: Project Silverstreak: The Perfect Build (or as near as I can get it)

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Time Attack!

So I tried my first Time Attack yesterday. I had a lot of fun. I should have tried this sooner. The smooth track surface is so nice compared to our local autocross lots. The chance for some higher speeds and the laid back way the event was run was not wasted on me either. I will be doing more of these. :tup:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Power steering whine...

The other day, out of the blue the power steering pump started whining. I knew about this issue and preventatively replaced the o-ring on the return fitting once before during the build. My problem with that at the time was there was no part number listed for it under my 2006 STI. We found it under the other car I had a 2004 2.5RS. The pumps were pretty much the same so I thought it would work. It did, but it only lasted about about 2 years and 4000 miles before the whine came back. This time I looked around online and got what I hope is the right part number...

The size is the same, but the red color makes me think this one is high temp or made from a different material. The o-ring from the RS was black and I don't think it was high temp. It was pretty soft when I pulled it out. Kinda spongy... like the ATF started to break it down. This doesn't really make sense to me because both the RS and STI use the same fluid in the P/S system.

Anyway it's a five minute procedure to replace the o-ring so it wasn't a big deal. Still though ...I hope this new one lasts longer.

·
Registered
9 Posts

That's dedication and passion right here...keep doing what you love m8!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

Thanks! It did. It also took a spare Impreza to remember where the chassis bolts went after two days of sorting out all the hardware lol.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

Here's a vid from my fastest clean run yesterday. I like the courses on the in-field better, but it was still fun. That run put me 8/10ths behind the leader who was driving a 996.1 Carrera 4. I was pretty happy with the result since he just went from worn out RS3's to new RE71R's. I actually could have closed the gap to 6/10ths if I hadn't nudged a cone. After that a bunch of us went over to the new kart track and battled it out. That was a blast! I can't remember the last time I went karting.

PPIR Time Attack 8/28/16 - YouTube

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
1st track day!

Back in August I came in second at a local all Subaru event called Growlfest. It was sponsored by Hueberger Motors and Pikes Peak International Raceway.

One of the prizes was a free PDX 3 class put on by the folks at PPIR. It's basically an intro to track. The class covers turn in, track out, etc. We had very limited passing. All in all a great class for a beginner. I really enjoyed it.

Now I've been autocrossing for more than a decade. So why wait until now to track? Brakes. I know I drive hard. The instructor said I would be fine at a PDX, but a few laps in on the first of three open track sessions and I over heated the pads in the hairpin coming off the back straight. I wasn't surprised by this, but still I learned a great deal in that moment.

I learned that if your brakes are not consistent it throws everything off. I ended up downshifting at higher speeds meaning my revs were higher than where I'd wanted them. Two down shifts in a row were at 7200!

After that I used the high speed oval to cool the brakes and coasted a bit into the first hairpin. It was frustrating, but better than an off. Tracking really is much harder on a car especially the brakes. This is why I avoided it for so long. It was hard to pass up a free track day though. I won't be going out again however until I add ducts and circuit pads.

Anyway here's some pics and a vid of the last session....

Sorry about the wind noise. I need to get an external mic, preferably bluetooth. They are just hard to find.

PPIR PDX 3 Session 3 - YouTube

·
Registered
899 Posts
Re: Project Silverstreak: 1st track day!

3 Points in terms of Brakes:

- Get Air through them! It's not expensive to do proper Brake Cooling!
- Get Stainless Steel Brake Lines
- Learn how to Brake properly

:)

·
Registered
668 Posts

I've run that track...pretty neat facility.

Track days are the ultimate for a street car. These cars are quite capable of the experience-no one needs the ultimate in anything to have fun.

I run Hawk HPS (street) pads and only get fade if I really push it...I tend to be easy on the brakes (longer brake point) and not worry about destroying pads/rotors/caliper toasting. Would rather have fun with the lines, corners, and accel.

Here is a video of last weekend on street pads...note, first timers to a track and beginners tend to overbrake-logical sense.

Subaru STI at Daytona International - YouTube

I enjoy your build thread.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

Pretty cool! It'd be fun to run at Daytona even for just all the history there.

As far as my braking it's just what I'm used to. I've autocrossed for a long time. I started doing the PPIR's Time Attack series this year too. It's much like a high speed autocross. When you brake at these events you do so with the highest amount of force in the shortest distance possible. It's how I'm wired. Instincts took over on the first lapping session then I had to back off and I was fine. I used the high speed section to cool the brakes and coasted into the first hairpin after that. I was frustrated though because I felt I could be faster and more consistent if I wasn't managing brake heat.

That and the rest of the car was barely breaking a sweat. Oil temps peaked at 245F and EGT's at 1517F. The intercooler was cool to the touch after a session. Even the tires were doing OK. This was my plan when building the car though. I wasn't worried about increasing HP as much as making a more capable engine. I just didn't go far enough on the brakes for track though they are fine in my usual activities. I simply need ducts and circuit pads.

Another thought... I was surprised at how easy it was to rev match downshift. At least at first. It became more difficult as the brakes became inconsistent.

Thinking about it... I guess if I'm on track I want to go as hard as I can. As long as the car is doing OK I just wanna GOOOOO!!!! If I have to hold back what's the point?

·
Registered
668 Posts

Daytona is a hoot due to the banks and 30 second WOT opportunities.

I hear you on the 'attack' on the track. I'm not a serious competitor and weigh the cost vs result for running the car a max chat all the time. Road courses are incredibly hard on a car-heat for everything.

Interesting note about the top mount intercooler...it cools down very quick. I hit 180 degree (IAT is on my PW topmount) and watched it on the laps...in the pits back down to 100 degrees in no time. Amazing how quickly the cooler spikes-a single gear dyno pull will increase temps by over 50 degrees!

Honestly, my comments were for others that think a stock STI needs mods to have fun-car is quite capable when driven with reasonable care.

Thanks for posting.

·
Super Moderator
8,396 Posts
Re: Time Attack!

So I tried my first Time Attack yesterday. I had a lot of fun. I should have tried this sooner. The smooth track surface is so nice compared to our local autocross lots. The chance for some higher speeds and the laid back way the event was run was not wasted on me either. I will be doing more of these. :tup:

[URL=http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii95/SubySal/STI%20journal/20160605_143135.jpg]Image Link
[/URL]

That looks like Mark's M3, which I've autoX'd a couple times.

I originally planned to make these events, but it didn't work out for me.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

Yes that is Mark's M3. That's unfortunate. The PPIR events are a lot of fun. Maybe next season?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)

Well the my free track day ended up costing me some money...

Glazed rotor...

When I tried to de-glaze the pads a chunk of friction material flew off the pad as I blew the dust off... so new pads (and anti-vibration shims). Luckily the local NAPA machine shop was able to turn the rotors even though they're slotted. That saved a heap of dough!

41 - 60 of 149 Posts