IW STi Forum banner

6021 - 6040 of 6079 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Re: cutn edg is dead - long live project "Hsicks" (update last page)

Yep. I want more power and want to avoid all the complexity and potential problems boost causes. Plus, $500 replacement motors over $4,000+ replacement motors.

But who knows... With motors that cheap, I could boost one and run the piss out of it. :)
K24 swap?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: cutn edg - it's on to global time attack in atlanta! - update last page

unfortunately, the damage had already taken place and...the motor was completely and utterly destroyed on a warm-up lap and the car was flatbedded back to the paddock.
Bruce,

It's tough to hear about this man and I feel your pain, especially since I went through a rebuild last year.

I know you'll make her bigger, stronger and better than ever. I'll continue to follow this awesome story and learn not just about the technical aspects (i'm looking at my engine bay wondering how the :eek: you're going to fit 2 more cylinders haha, but science...) also the experience of 'starting over' in some ways is interesting as people handle decisions differently. I think certainly in a way, most of us see your situation(s) and theorize on how we would do things similarly or differently and that's what makes it addictive for me. Theorycrafting for a better world...

In other words, you have the means and finances - as long as you get passed the wife of course :rofl: - to do what some of us dream about doing, so please keep it up! :tup: I'll certainly take a road trip to come see this beast once it's completed, i'm just curious what kind of charging you'll end up with ... single.. twin.. twin sequential.. super.. pro.. but my votes on the twin snails. As you've told me before "if you love it you'll find a way to do it" DO IT!

Long live project "Hsicks"!

·
Registered
480 Posts

Damn, that'll be sweet. I read some threads on it, some guys had one running and driving with no exhaust and then it just kinda died from there....be really cool to see one running by someone who owns it independently vs a shop/sema show car

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,026

Bruce,

It's tough to hear about this man and I feel your pain, especially since I went through a rebuild last year.

I know you'll make her bigger, stronger and better than ever. I'll continue to follow this awesome story and learn not just about the technical aspects (i'm looking at my engine bay wondering how the :eek: you're going to fit 2 more cylinders haha, but science...) also the experience of 'starting over' in some ways is interesting as people handle decisions differently. I think certainly in a way, most of us see your situation(s) and theorize on how we would do things similarly or differently and that's what makes it addictive for me. Theorycrafting for a better world...

In other words, you have the means and finances - as long as you get passed the wife of course :rofl: - to do what some of us dream about doing, so please keep it up!: I'll certainly take a road trip to come see this beast once it's completed, i'm just curious what kind of charging you'll end up with ... single.. twin.. twin sequential.. super.. pro.. but my votes on the twin snails. As you've told me before "if you love it you'll find a way to do it" DO IT!

Long live project "Hsicks"!
thanks, seven. we're doing it, alright. i couldn't be more excited.

Damn, that'll be sweet. I read some threads on it, some guys had one running and driving with no exhaust and then it just kinda died from there....be really cool to see one running by someone who owns it independently vs a shop/sema show car
roger that.

update:

nothing gets a project started like the sound of moo la and my bank account is mooing like a motherfucker lol.

i just got off the phone with phil. we started nailing down details. here's a few that i can let loose:

- we're looking for a low mileage older version of the two longblocks available. the most recent iteration of the H6 have improvements that render a conversion a bit more complicated. they also have variable timing with mechanicals that will make it harder to change cam profiles if i decide to do that later.

-for now, the objective is to move this along asap to salvage my season, so we're going for a single turbo (probably a GT 65 or 75) and 700 hp, which is more than i need for where i'm at experience-wise. it'll also let me dial in less hp when i need to to stay in TT2. a more complicated twin turbo setup is a possibility later on.

- phil gave me an overview of the internal components we're using.

that's it. he's getting started sourcing a donor engine and ordering custom parts.

pretty exciting, eh?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Re: project Hsicks {{{waiting for engine build starting gun}}}...BANG! - last pg

This is absolutely nuts...didn't mean to thread jack but there's literally 2 awesome swaps going on in my 2 favorite cars...I'm excited to say the least because there aren't many functioning versions of either....Thing is gonna sound like a GT2....

Curious to know how much it costs to do an H6 vs building the EJ...If it's somewhat reasonable starting out fresh vs converting an already built platform to H6 I might consider it in my car vs a built EJ in the future.

How soon you think you'll be up and running?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Re: project Hsicks {{{waiting for engine build starting gun}}}...BANG! - last pg

Curious to know how much it costs to do an H6 vs building the EJ...If it's somewhat reasonable starting out fresh vs converting an already built platform to H6 I might consider it in my car vs a built EJ in the future.
Well for starters, you have to buy 50% more of everything you'd need for an EJ. So there is that cost.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts

Well for starters, you have to buy 50% more of everything you'd need for an EJ. So there is that cost.
Very true, although if thats the main difference, I think it would be my go-to as well! :tup:

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,030 (Edited)

This is absolutely nuts...didn't mean to thread jack
it impossible to highjack this thread. it defines thread jack lol

but there's literally 2 awesome swaps going on in my 2 favorite cars...I'm excited to say the least because there aren't many functioning versions of either....Thing is gonna sound like a GT2....
phil says it sounds incredible.

How soon you think you'll be up and running?
Very true, although if thats the main difference, I think it would be my go-to as well! :tup:
it's going to be in the area of $12k. almost everything in there now is going to carry over. for hardware and plumbing, the bottom of the block is going to get a custom cnc machined cover to close the dry sump system. it's going to need a custom header and downpipe. we may be able to use the current uppipe. it's .7" longer than an ej, so i'm going to revisit the fan, which has just a cunt hair of space now between it and the crank pulley.

as to how long it's going to take, i'm not going to begin to torture myself with an end game with a custom setup. i will say, he's on it. he and i are getting the first two. i might actually get the first one, since his sti needs a complete freshening and he's busy racing his frs. i had one of only three original prototype element rotated kits back in the day. i have one of his next gen prototype kits in there now. i'm like the king of prototypes lol.

for these custom parts, he's planning on having his fabricator set up jigs, so every part can be reproduced precisely.

i told him he's going to sell a million of these things. i ain't lying.

·
Super Moderator
10,703 Posts

Sounds um.........Sick.......<snicker>

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,033

Hsexy!

And let me know if you're not hearing enough moo-ing - I have some projects just waiting for that sound to come my way.
you have to be a trust fund baby or really old and loaded, which beats the shit out of really old and broke.
(icmu)

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

So much excitement. :banana:

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,035

So much excitement.
drew! how timely. lol

while we're waiting for an engine, I thought we'd move along elsewhere while we're at it.

I'm ready to hack the wheelwells and install 18 x 11s. Phil says we'll need a 20 offset w 305s. Any thoughts on which wheels? I'm thinking sturdy and cheap so I can have two sets.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

Enkei makes a 18x11 +16 RS05RR

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

PMing you my top secret wheel choice that might fit the bill. I'm currently wanting a set as well.

You doing karlton flares?

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,039

PMing you my top secret wheel choice that might fit the bill
you gotta love secret stuff, especially coming from drew.

here it is. i just ordered four of these work MCO racing type cs wheels because wheels look best when they match:

these 11" monsters are coming from japan, so it might take awhile.

6021 - 6040 of 6079 Posts