IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
The only problem with a Corsa is that it's wicked loud - to much of the time for many.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Yup. This spools fast and goes into instant deafening mode. Sounds obscenely aggressive. If it were a weekend car and I was single it might work.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
5 warnings in 2 months for me plus the wife demanded it and banned our daughter from the car :) I can't imagine the Expreme.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I'm going in for the e85 tune on 5/12.

Just to update on my impressions of the Spoolinator:
My issue ultimately was the Corsa exhaust. Since removing my Corsa and not being terrified of stepping on the gas in day to day driving, the Spoolinator has given me... turbo boners... sorry for the term...

Gas. Spool. Instant Max PSI. Zoom.
Heck, I even /love/ my EWG. :)
Even without going to EWG territory, its smooth as butter and so quick.

Sometimes my paranoia is "Hey, this isn't that fast."
And then I'm like "But wait, where did all the other cars go? ;)"
And seriously... the power band is just /so/ broad.

If I had it all to do over again... the only change I might have made is went a smidge bigger than the GTX3067. But seriously this is as much power as is probably appropriate in any street car.

And Jr's tune... the driveability is beautiful. As mentioned in some other thread, I literally haven't seen a single fbk or fkl since the tune and... to be honest... I don't abuse my car but I hit 20.5 psi at least 5 or 6 times a day or more. And while the clutch makes first gear in traffic require some finesse, I really love the clutch elsewhere and it just is so nice even in stop and go traffic. I'd honestly not even bother getting a CF driveshaft at this point.

So I'm a big fan is what I'm trying to say.
Tagging onto what Maz said...

JR's tune is definitely smooth, by the time you feel the torque rush you're already going pretty fast. I think a .63 AR would probably FEEL faster but our .83 AR definitely IS faster.

I also wondered if I should have gone with a 3071, but I think I would be disappointed with the additional lag. The spool and response feels just right.

I scared myself the first time I floored it at the second half of a familar corner. At stage 2+, it was enough to give me a rush, but I felt very much in control. Now with this setup, I went in thinking because of the increased lag, I can go WOT at the same section of the corner and be fairly drama free, but not so because once it begans to spools, it spools fast. What followed were squealing tires, unexpected understeer and working to correct the line. I need to step up my suspension game to be able to fully utilize this setup around the twisties.

IMO the 3067 .82 is a perfect DD setup!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Supercharged stock engine? I'm trying to avoid modding our 15 GT, but I hear the Coyote can do 700+ whp on the stock block and that just sounds so delicious!
No built bottom end. Im running the VMP upgraded blower. Im going to be selling the car though. The motors in these are too expensive if it blows. I wont go into extact numbers, ill just say a new built motor is over half the price of a new sti, and a complete Long block motor from ford is 39g. :lol:

If I was you, here is the mod list id do if I had a new gt. Ford racing Aluminator motor 11:1 Cr $8000 (good for 1000rwhp) vmp blower stg 3 $9000, T56 magnum xl 6spd kit from Jpc (includes clutch, drive shaft etc) $6000, some racing rims and drag radials, $3500ish, Suspension $3000ish tops. Id sell the stock motor for 3-4500g pending on miles and sell the original trans for a 2ish. Youre 24g in for a high 8 or low 9 second car. Cheaper then I spent on my gt500 mods :p

Ill be picking up a 15 or 16 sti once the Gt500 sells and possibly a 16 gt stang.

Also I wouldnt do more then 600whp on stock block 5.0. It can do 1000rwhp but it wont do it for long, either will 700.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
No built bottom end. Im running the VMP upgraded blower. Im going to be selling the car though. The motors in these are too expensive if it blows. I wont go into extact numbers, ill just say a new built motor is over half the price of a new sti, and a complete Long block motor from ford is 39g.

If I was you, here is the mod list id do if I had a new gt. Ford racing Aluminator motor 11:1 Cr $8000 (good for 1000rwhp) vmp blower stg 3 $9000, T56 magnum xl 6spd kit from Jpc (includes clutch, drive shaft etc) $6000, some racing rims and drag radials, $3500ish, Suspension $3000ish tops. Id sell the stock motor for 3-4500g pending on miles and sell the original trans for a 2ish. Youre 24g in for a high 8 or low 9 second car. Cheaper then I spent on my gt500 mods

Ill be picking up a 15 or 16 sti once the Gt500 sells and possibly a 16 gt stang.

Also I wouldnt do more then 600whp on stock block 5.0. It can do 1000rwhp but it wont do it for long, either will 700.
Haha nice! I guess Subarus really are cheaper to fix by comparison.

How much would that setup make? 850+ whp?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Update: e85 tune
Place: prime motoring, east Rutherford nj
Temp 63?
Plot shows my stage 2 vs spoolinator 93 vs spoolinator e85
Gtx3067 .82 housing

Only description that does it justice is "glorious".
Huge thank yous to Demetri et all @ Prime, JR, Chris @ Killer B, and guys like User and Toiv and Shinji who provided recommendations which contributed to a dreaming responsive, awesome car! :)

Instaspool, no lag, superbly drivable, and top end. I love it.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Update: e85 tune
Place: prime motoring, east Rutherford nj
Temp 63?
Plot shows my stage 2 vs spoolinator 93 vs spoolinator e85
Gtx3067 .82 housing
Image Link

Only description that does it justice is "glorious".
Huge thank yous to Demetri et all @ Prime, JR, Chris @ Killer B, and guys like User and Toiv and Shinji who provided recommendations which contributed to a dreaming responsive, awesome car! :)

Instaspool, no lag, superbly drivable, and top end. I love it.
So happy seeing your results. Now I have a lot to look forward to when I finally go E85!

Also on 93 pump you're making around 5-10 whp more than my setup. Since our setups are similar, it seems the V2 KillerB header is really doing a great job. It'd be fun to see how big the difference is between our setups on E85.

How much boost are you running now that you have a new EBCS?

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Something I just noticed... Spoolinator setup on E85 the pull was started +500 PRM later. I'm willing to bet a couple beers if the E85 pull was started at the same RPM, the spool would have outperformed the other two.

Even how it's shown here the ramp rate is extremely steep. It must be hyper responsive on E. I'm so jealous! We have no E85 here :/

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Any updates as Im also interested in the spoolinator
Now that I have more miles on the tune, I'm loving the setup even more; it feels very responsive and the powerband feels great. Feels stock when I drive it lightly and spools quickly when I drop the hammer. Full boost by ~3800 rpm in 4th gear when starting the pull from ~3100 rpm. If I start the 4th gear pull at 2500 rpm, I imagine it'll hit full boost ~3400 rpm.

It's a great setup for a daily driven car!

81 - 100 of 121 Posts