IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Vendor
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something we are working on and looking for feedback...

This product is great for those that have made incremental upgrades, don't want to spend the bigger bucks for a 'rotated' kit, but have outgrown the OEM turbo's power levels. Uncompromised mid-sized turbo performance in a lower cost package.

These results were obtained using a Garrett GTX3067-R on our shop 2012 STi. We are still undergoing testing, but so far results have been very good.

Two Dyno plots. First from Prime Motorsing's Mustang Dyno, where a strong stage II STi reads ~275whp, and a second street pull using virtual dyno. Based on experience, the car feels like the mustang numbers are 25whp low and the virtual numbers are 25hp too high. It feels like a 355+whp car, but probably not more than 375whp. What is really astonishing is the responsiveness at low RPM. One observation that was made is intake temps were climbing in the upper RPMs likely due to heat soak of the OEM intercooler. Car will be put back on the dyno after the ETS TMIC shows up.

Please feel free to post your questions, comments or concerns.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
i may be asking an obvious question, but what is the difference between this and swapping in a larger stock location turbo like a blouch dom2.0xtr? i havent dealt with anything beyond a vf48 swap if you can even call that a real swap haha

·
Banned
193 Posts
It looks to me as if its a pseudo stock location setup they are posting. It looks like its stock location in the idea that the inlet goes under the manifold, but the turbo itself sits back further from the engine a little bit. Just speculation of course, but it looks to be a custom up pipe to better position a larger turbo in the stock location.

The only reason I am not sure on this is because its looks like they are using some of the oem brakets for supports on the up pipe. Not sure....

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
i am in the middle of mapping out my plan if my engine goes and this might be the ticket. if the turbo is pushed back a bit it would be interesting to see how FMIC kits would work. maybe something Killer B should consider if they havent already ;)

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
I'm liking what I'm seeing.

I'm currently torn on my future turbo setup, but the power and 300 wtq figure looks to be at the right RPM.

Would you be able to fab up a v-band outlet that worked with the APS turbo back? Maybe with the EWG routed into the exhaust?

Will this work on the GDs?

·
Vendor
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i may be asking an obvious question, but what is the difference between this and swapping in a larger stock location turbo like a blouch dom2.0xtr? i havent dealt with anything beyond a vf48 swap if you can even call that a real swap haha
The OEM location 'turbo kits' use an OEM like housing. They are not performance oriented like a Tial turbine housing and you don't have any choices for which A/R choices for the turbine housing with an OEM style housing. You get what they make and what they make is one size. I am not 100% certain, but I believe this turbo is very similar in flow to the Blouch 2.0

It looks to me as if its a pseudo stock location setup they are posting. It looks like its stock location in the idea that the inlet goes under the manifold, but the turbo itself sits back further from the engine a little bit. Just speculation of course, but it looks to be a custom up pipe to better position a larger turbo in the stock location.

The only reason I am not sure on this is because its looks like they are using some of the oem brakets for supports on the up pipe. Not sure....
The turbo sits in nearly the same location as stock. Any up-pipe can be used (we used our with our holy header) as this bolts onto the up-pipe's turbo flange. All the OEM brackets are retained, which we always prefer (in any kit) as they are rock solid mounting points.

Kit includes tial housing adapter, downpipe, hardware and ancillary bits (oil feed, drain, etc.) to run a GTX turbo.

i am in the middle of mapping out my plan if my engine goes and this might be the ticket. if the turbo is pushed back a bit it would be interesting to see how FMIC kits would work. maybe something Killer B should consider if they havent already ;)
Any FMIC, or TMIC, that can be mounted to the OEM turbo will work with this kit. The outlet of the Garrett GTX3067 (or any GTX30) is in the same location as the stock turbo :)

I'm liking what I'm seeing.

I'm currently torn on my future turbo setup, but the power and 300 wtq figure looks to be at the right RPM.

Would you be able to fab up a v-band outlet that worked with the APS turbo back? Maybe with the EWG routed into the exhaust?

Will this work on the GDs?
Not that we couldn't, but that's more custom fab shop territory than production based. We can engineer, design and manufacture almost anything you could need, but the cost would be huge compared with what a fabricator could offer.

So far we've only designed it with a VTA WG, since it is made to work with anyone's up-pipe, rerouting the WG becomes an impossible feat. :(

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Not that we couldn't, but that's more custom fab shop territory than production based. We can engineer, design and manufacture almost anything you could need, but the cost would be huge compared with what a fabricator could offer.

So far we've only designed it with a VTA WG, since it is made to work with anyone's up-pipe, rerouting the WG becomes an impossible feat. :(
Makes sense. I like how this all sounds though. Very promising.

This would be an easy upgrade for everyone who is already EWG. Brilliant if you ask me. :)

·
Vendor
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahh I see it now. So its just adapting the 3 bolt flange to a v band flange so a good exhaust housing can be used for a good stock location turbo. I like it!
Yes. It sounds easy when you say it like that... but it was a pain in the :censored: to make happen :lol:

·
Vendor
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Makes sense. I like how this all sounds though. Very promising.

This would be an easy upgrade for everyone who is already EWG. Brilliant if you ask me. :)
Exactly, why toss the stuff you've already bought! It's a step between an OEM turbo housing setup with lackluster performance, and spending bigger money going rotated. The big question is... with the nice housing is a decent spot, does it meet the performance of rotated? More to come on this one.

Thanks!!

·
Banned
193 Posts
Yes. It sounds easy when you say it like that... but it was a pain in the :censored: to make happen :lol:
I certainly wasnt trying to put down the hard work and R&D that was put into this! Just seems like one of those things that should have been done ages ago! Simple in theory, and is probably very effective!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
So I may have missed it in your response post, but will this work with GD? I didn't see a clear cut answer and want to make sure. :)

Posted between shifts from my iPhone.

·
Vendor
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I certainly wasnt trying to put down the hard work and R&D that was put into this! Just seems like one of those things that should have been done ages ago! Simple in theory, and is probably very effective!
No offense taken! I agree and was surprised to see no one had done this yet. After putting many many hours into the design I can see why! :banghead:

So I may have missed it in your response post, but will this work with GD? I didn't see a clear cut answer and want to make sure. :)

Posted between shifts from my iPhone.
I don't see why not... Same intake manifold, same up pipe, etc. Of course there would be a GD and GR version that would accomodate the differences in the downpipes.

·
Registered
469 Posts
As a purchaser and firm believer in the KillerB holy header, I would love a future upgrade option. I'm a big fan of Garret GTX turbos.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The turbo sits in nearly the same location as stock. Any up-pipe can be used (we used our with our holy header) as this bolts onto the up-pipe's turbo flange. All the OEM brackets are retained, which we always prefer (in any kit) as they are rock solid mounting points.

Kit includes tial housing adapter, downpipe, hardware and ancillary bits (oil feed, drain, etc.) to run a GTX turbo.

Will you be offering catted and non-catted downpipes? If you are including a DP, and forgive my question please, why couldn't you offer the wastegate plumbed into it using a flex piece to help with fitment? That would be the ultimate kit!

·
Vendor
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Curious why you went with a GTX3076 instead of a EFR7163?
I didn't go with either. I went with the GTX 3067 ;)

Will you be offering catted and non-catted downpipes? If you are including a DP, and forgive my question please, why couldn't you offer the wastegate plumbed into it using a flex piece to help with fitment? That would be the ultimate kit!
So far catless, but I don't see why a cat can't be added.

We are only offering VTA because we don't know what up-pipe will be used, could be any up-pipe with an EWG.

·
Registered
458 Posts
So far catless, but I don't see why a cat can't be added.

We are only offering VTA because we don't know what up-pipe will be used, could be any up-pipe with an EWG.[/QUOTE]

I for one, have no intentions of using anything other than your header and up-pipe. That is the kit I'd love to see! Pretty please!!!

·
Vendor
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very interested in this. When the time comes for me to upgrade.
Thanks for the interest in our products!

I for one, have no intentions of using anything other than your header and up-pipe. That is the kit I'd love to see! Pretty please!!!
Hmmm... interesting thought.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts