IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
better than you
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'll be looking at a 2003 WRX today. The original owner (this guy is the 2nd) worked for Prodrive, hence there's lots of part on the car. I took a look at their site and they seem like a good company but does anyone have first hand experience with them? Here's what the car has:

-Optima Yellow Top Battery (New)
-Prodrive Shift Knob
-Prodrive Grille
-Prodrive Headlights
-Prodrive 4-Pot Brake Kit
-Prodrive PFF-7 Rims in Bright Flitter (Silver)
-Prodrive Lowering Springs
-Prodrive Stage 3 which includes:
- Uppipe (catless)
- Downpipe w/free catalytic converter
- Midpipe
- Oval Tip Exhaust
- Silicone Intercooler Y-pipe
- ECU Upgrade

Thanks!

·
better than you
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nandanrp said:
You've been on the forum for quite a while, and you haven't heard of Prodrive? :)

Anyways, I'll spare you the crap...:) Yes...Prodrive is awesome. They are heavily involved in the WRC cars. I would buy their stuff any day.
To tell ya the truth, I've heard of so many companies on here I can't remember em all! That's awesome news though! Here's a few shots of her.

http://img370.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img01621cu.jpg
http://img370.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img01739gx.jpg
http://img370.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img01784nd.jpg

Wish me luck!!!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Rockin the pff7's. IMO I would take off the prodrive stickers too & paint the sideskirts to match the car. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Prodrive : Subaru = Mugen : Honda

Prodrive puts together the WRC Imprezas.

I agree about the removal of the side banners. And install a WRX rear spoiler too.

·
better than you
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys you've really instilled confidence in this purchase! The KBB value of the car is 17500, we agreed on 15500 (35xxx miles) as he needed to sell the car fast (has 2 cars, couldn't afford both, and no one wanted to buy his Sentra SE-R). The only issue I have is the valve cover gasket is leaking, and I want to make sure it's covered by the warrantee. Does anyone know how/if it's possible to transfer the warrantee?

By the way, the car is BEAUTIFUL! I saw her today and took her for a little spin around the block. She drives so good, the clutch and tranny are in great condition (I had my mechanic spend 2 hours or so checking for problems) and the body looks really good as well. There's 2 SMALL dents and 2 SMALL scratches (I only noticed one until he pointed out the rest), but it's great otherwise. I set up my account and applied for a loan (top tier credit rating, BTW :) ) today so hopefully in the next few days I'll be drivin around a beautiful WRB WRX!

Oh yea, and the stickers definately comin off, hahaha!

·
Indiatr0n in yo IWDPL
8,577 Posts
Cool man, glad the car was in relatively good condition.

I don't know enough to say whether the valve cover gasket is a big job or not (did your mechanic give you an estimate?). However, I have my doubts about the warranty...with up/down pipes, TBE and engine management, I think dealers will give you a hard time. Depends on the dealer I guess.

Not to mention, 2003 WRX with 35xxx miles means it's very close to the 3yr/36k mi bumper-to-bumper being over with. Did they come with 5yr/60k mi powertrain warranties back then (I'd assume so)?

Good luck either way, I'm glad you'll be joining the Subie family...we all drive WRX's after all ;)

·
better than you
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nandanrp said:
Cool man, glad the car was in relatively good condition.

I don't know enough to say whether the valve cover gasket is a big job or not (did your mechanic give you an estimate?). However, I have my doubts about the warranty...with up/down pipes, TBE and engine management, I think dealers will give you a hard time. Depends on the dealer I guess.

Not to mention, 2003 WRX with 35xxx miles means it's very close to the 3yr/36k mi bumper-to-bumper being over with. Did they come with 5yr/60k mi powertrain warranties back then (I'd assume so)?

Good luck either way, I'm glad you'll be joining the Subie family...we all drive WRX's after all ;)
Thanks! I'm stoked to be joining the fam too! No I didn't get an estimate, and the truth is, with the motor being positioned the way it is, I probably wouldn't be able to afford the fix, so I have to hope for the best.

It did come with the 5yr/60k warrantee, and I'm pretty sure I could argue that the valve gasket cover is a powertrain item (um, it IS part of the motor), the only thing is that I'm not sure how to transfer the warrantee, as the previous owner only had it for 3 months (checked on carfax) and he didn't have the warrentee transfered from the OG owner..

Oh yea, as for the stage 3 parts, the only parts that are on the car now are the exhaust (muffler) and the silicone intercooler y-pipe, and I was told the ECU was reflashed to stock, so they shouldn't give me any sh*t if I can transfer the warrantee.

I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight :)

Edit - and the car is actually at approx 35,300 miles, so I should still be good on the basic warrantee as well.

·
Indiatr0n in yo IWDPL
8,577 Posts
Well make sure you get all your warranty work in stat ;)

ECU reflashed to stock isn't 100% foolproof, they can check the "Checksum" on the ECU to see if it had ever been flashed before...way too much effort usually, but if they really want to dick you over, they can.

I can practically feel your excitement :)

BTW, those Prodrive headlights look like projector beams...did he shell out for HIDs?

·
better than you
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No he didn't go with the HID's but I don't think the kit is that much. I'll let everyone know how things go. The credit union should be calling tomorrow so I can get all the paperwork straight and pick up the car ASAP! WOOOO! I feel like I could run 5 miles right now :lol: And make that "warrantY", hehe.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts