IW STi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i searched and couldn't find much about Prodrive's cold air intake. Anybody bought one yet? Looks like rallysportdirect has 'em. If you have it, let's hear what you think?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have it on my car now. Replaced my Typhoon with the Prodrive. The install was pretty easy and it looks good.

I did some data logs and some dyno testing. The prodrive CAI MAF voltage is skewed marginally higher than the K&N and so the Prodrive is running richer. I suspect the higher reading is due to the proximity of the MAF to the bend for the turbo inlet pipe. Its not a huge delta though, and it's within the learning range of the ECU.
With some tuning the car would take better advantage of the intake though since the AFR's on the dyno were low 10:1 and high 9:1. This should go down a bit over time as the AFR learning was still going on and removing fuel from the tables.

The big change was in the inlet air temps - the Prodrive has never been more than +10 degrees over ambient, where my K&N was +70 over in some cases. This made a huge difference in stop and go driving from heat soak, and was also reflected in more ignition advance on the prodrive in the logs.

The dyno showed some gains on the prodrive, but these numbers can't be directly compared, even though it was the same dyno. Different dates, different wheels/tires on the car, added the cat-back, etc.
Cobb Stg1 91oct (mustang dyno):
K&N
[email protected], [email protected]
Prodrive w/Greddy Evo2:

The spool and BPV noise inside the car from the Prodrive is a bit less than the K&N as well, which after a year with the K&N was a good thing to me.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
seattle944t said:
The dyno showed some gains on the prodrive, but these numbers can't be directly compared, even though it was the same dyno. Different dates, different wheels/tires on the car, added the cat-back, etc.
Cobb Stg1 91oct (mustang dyno):
K&N
Prodrive w/Greddy Evo2:

The spool and BPV noise inside the car from the Prodrive is a bit less than the K&N as well, which after a year with the K&N was a good thing to me.
So you have the Prodrive CAI with stock ECU or you're running Cobb Stage 1?
I'll probably be using stock ECU just wondering if there were any concerns there

·
Registered
139 Posts
Stage one Cobb in both. Stock ECU the Prodrive will probably make it run even more rich since the Cobb map leans out the fueling in the high load areas from the super rich factory settings.

Stock ECU I think the K&N Typhoon is a better match for the factory airbox, it just needs some additional heat shield protection.
nhluhr has a good setup for the K&N that he describes here:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showpost.php?p=832567&postcount=239

1 - 5 of 5 Posts