IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just so all of ya know, I am putting this on my car AS SOON as it comes out. :D

Basically, Prodrive has developed a "Active" Suspension system, that electronically adjusts itself 1000 times per second. There is a control box (SCU you could call it I guess), and 4 coilover shocks, that are 45MM and inverted. One wire to each coilover and it actually adjusts the dampining and rebound while you are moving. THESE ARE NOT AIR STRUTS!! VERY VERY trick stuff, and I can't wait to get mine. :D

·
Registered
251 Posts
E-brake problem?

Cool. Any more details? Does it hook into the ECU? How much?

Most importantly, can it do wheel hopping at a stop light?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
JJ said:
Basically, Prodrive has developed a "Active" Suspension system, that electronically adjusts itself 1000 times per second. There is a control box (SCU you could call it I guess), and 4 coilover shocks, that are 45MM and inverted. One wire to each coilover and it actually adjusts the dampining and rebound while you are moving. THESE ARE NOT AIR STRUTS!! VERY VERY trick stuff, and I can't wait to get mine. :D
By "air struts" I guess you're referring to the Praxis, which you seem to think is inferior. The Prodrive system has active shocks, but traditional, nonadjustable springs. The Praxis system has active springs but only manually adjustable shocks. So with the Prodrive, you're stuck with a single spring rate and ride height, but you get active dampening. With the Praxis, you get adjustable spring rate and ride height and automatic levelling and corner weighting, but you have to manually adjust the dampening and rebound.

For me, it sounds like the Praxis has more to offer. You can only do so much with active dampening and rebound, but being able to adjust the spring rate and ride height is going to have a dramatic effect on handling vs. comfort.

Seems like the real `ultimate suspension'--which would combine adjustable springs with active shocks--has yet to be created.

I wouldn't get too excited about the Prodive suspension until more is known about it, such as capabilities and cost.

·
Registered
347 Posts
damping..."dampening" is what you do with a hose...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wow. It's suprising that an active system isn't already available for the Impreza. Does anyone know if this system will use the magnetic fluid, or are we going back a generation of suspension technology? It sounds like it might be magnetic, with the claim of 1000 adjustments/sec.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Leather stock option!

I guess the point that I failed to make is that these are ride height adjustable as well, the springs are just standard Eibach 2.5" race springs, so you could pick a spring rate that is good for you as well. The ride height is adjustable through "bushings" that take the guess work out of setting ride height (they come with 4). They are designing it so that with these bushings so that the car will also be pretty well corner weighted straight outta the box. Of course, with different weights of driver, and modifications that they may have on the car, it won't be a perfect corner weight, but it will be very close.

Also, these do not use magnetic fluid such as GM's "Magnasteer". That fluid will break down over time, so yes, the adjustment is mechanical but it can still be adjusted 1000 times per second.

These are pretty beefy inverted struts as well, so they will resist lateral loading more than the inverted stock struts. They are rebuildable, but will come with a comprehensive warranty just in case.

There is also the possibility for upgrades to the Suspension Control Unit, such as different "maps" for different forms of motorsport. The initial map is supposed to take you from the street to the roadcourse to a autox and then a rallyx and all points inbetween. It is "set it and forget it".

The biggest benefit to this system is that you will always have the ultimate and best damping and rebound settings no matter wether you have a hot date (it's supposed to maintain stock ride quality), or need to run a hot lap. The accellorometers on the struts send signals to the SCU so that the SCU can tell each strut individually what to do.

I am told (who knows if true or not) these struts came about because there is a engineer at Prodrive that was about to lose his job because this idea of a active suspension has apparently been banned in many forms of motorsport, so they came up with this technology for the street. They will start with Subaru and then make this for many popular makes and models (Acura, Infinity, Nissan, Honda, etc).

Price is expected to be around $3000, and they are supposed to be ready for our Scoobies Q1 or Q2 2004. I can't wait. :D

JJ

Slowride said:
Seems like the real `ultimate suspension'--which would combine adjustable springs with active shocks--has yet to be created.

I wouldn't get too excited about the Prodive suspension until more is known about it, such as capabilities and cost.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgot to mention- this is technology straight off the Impreza WRC Car I am told...

·
Registered
508 Posts
JJ,

These look pretty hot. Are these manually adjustable from the cabin or do they automatically adjust themselves? The reason I ask is I am worried they would put me straight into the SM class when autocrossing.

Any idea on weight versus stock?

-N

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Uber mega bump :lol:

I remember Prodrive offering these. Of course, they NEVER made it to the market :lol: :lol:

Just remembering the good old times of vague promises and vaporware :D

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,938 Posts
Wowzers, who could forget good 'ol JJ. I remember hearing about these, and knowing that if they ever came out they'd cost a fortune. Bose also made a coilover system very similar to that, but i guess it hasn't caught on... yet.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Worst part is that they said $2800 for all 4 corners :lol: Yeah right ... too bad, they looked WAAAY too good to be a reality ... :(

·
Registered
317 Posts
Ha Ha i remember these...a little birdie at prodrive told me that the prototype was a piece of S**t All theory at the time

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
:lol: i did a post a long time ago about these and they never made it to market. I wouldn't mind a set :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts