IW STi Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, sorry for the late follow up here, Thanksgiving and all that. So here it is. I will try to be as detailed as possible for both procedures. We will start with the factory head unit. First, you need to remove the unit from the dash. Assuming that those attempting this have done the hvac mod already, start by popping the hvac trim off. Remove the 6 phillips head screws that hold the hu in. Slide it out of the cavity and reach behind it and unplug the 2 harness connectors and the antennae wire and take it inside. What we are going to do is remove the face. Take out the 1 screw on each side for the mounting brackets. Then the face just pops off. You need to gently pry on each of the retainer tabs to get them loose. Just do one at a time. Once the face is off, remove the 2 screws on the inside and separate the face from its housing. How about that? Five bulbs with the green condoms. I just took a razor blade and cut around the base of each one. It's up to you on how you change color. Either use the red condoms, or a permanent red marker. I have had mine done for approx. 2 months and no fade at all. Now just reverse the procedure for reassembly. Next on to the headlight leveler switch. We need to change the green l.e.d.s to reds. I highly suggest not trying this if you have little or no experience soldering. Also if you are unsure, go pick up a spare switch from Subaru just in case. Ok, I got my parts at the local Radio Shack. You will need 4 #1 red l.e.d.s, a solder removing bulb and some good silver solder. Everything cost me about 9 bucks. Once you get your stuff, remove the switch by opening the fuse access cover, reach into the dash and push the switch from the back. Once out of the hole, unplug it and take it inside. Do not remove the knob, but separate the switch. Gently pry each tab and it will come apart. If the contact blade falls out, it goes back in the knob side of the switch, longways in the slot. Make sure the spring and detent ball are still in the slot as well. The order is spring, ball, blade. Then you will understand how the switch works too. Sit that half aside and we will be working with the l.e.d. side. The circut board had to come off of the plug contacts. It is soldered in 6 places. Use your soldering iron to heat one at at time, then remove the excess with the solder removing bulb. Some gentle prying may be necessary while heating. Don't burn yourself and take your time and don't force anything. It will come apart. You will notice the ground side of the l.e.d.s are soldered together by the position 3 l.e.d. Leave them together for a reference. Just heat the bottom of the board and remove one at a time. When you get them all off of the board, you will notice that there are yellow plastic sleeves on the posts of the l.e.d.s. This is very convenient because as we solder the new ones in place we just slide the sleeves on and no guessing the length! Whoever designed this switch must have known some psycho was going to take it apart and mess with it! Anyway now for the important part. An l.e.d. is a light emitting diode folks. If you don't know what that is, it means current only flows through it in ONE direction. So you must hold the red one up to the light and your group of greens and look at the insides. Make sure they go in the same way. Start with position 3 and put your sleeve on the correct post. Push it through the board and solder it on. I used toenail clippers to cut off the excess. Now duplicate the bend on the ground side as it will cross the ground posts of the others, like on your group of greens. Just continue down the line, clipping the remainder of the material, and you're almost done. Once all 4 are soldered in, double check your work, make sure all your joints are good and everything is tight. Push your board back onto the plug side of the switch and resolder your six points one at a time. Take the knob side and hold it so the knob faces the ground, and push the switch halves together. Check for smoothness by turning the knob. It all should be good now, go put your switch back in the car and enjoy your red headlight level switch. I apologize for the rambling instructions, but as I said a few posts back, I have no pics showing the steps. I also apologize for making it out to be more complicated than it really is. Once you start getting the stuff apart, you will see that it is actually very simple, it just takes time. Did mine while watching football a couple Sundays back. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Nice write-up. :D

The 2004 OEM 6-disc radio is a little different, it has 7 bulbs and the .12 condoms fit perfect. No screws hold the face to the unit, just pry it off carefully and then remove the 5-6 screws that hold the circuit board to the face. Pull off the radio knobs and it will come apart. Then untwist four metal tabs to open the LCD screen. Be care as one corner is soldered. You will not be able to remove the metal housing completely, just rotate it 90 degrees to access the two bulbs in there. Put it all back together and reinstall it. Mine is purty!

need to do the HID leveler now. :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Northern Virginia new member

great write up especially on the led section, I had mine apart this weekend and did the I/C Water spray and fog light switch red then saw the led in the headlight level and left it alone cause I had never messed with that before, now I'll try it....

Also did you notice the headlight level switch is made by Nissan!? LOL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts