IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2019 STI, I recently bought a cobb accessport i was already running an ETS catback and a GFB bov. I know i should be running that but i’ve been running that set up with a tune for about 8 months and have had no problems but last week i got a cobb access port and went stage 1. I was over boosting peaking at 20.8 PSI so I changed the tune to stage 1 low wastegate so i wouldn’t over boost but then it was under boosting and making my car run funny. I thought it could have been the blow off valve so i took it over and reflashed stage 1 on the normal wastegate option and it was running fine peaking at 17.7 PSI until it started under boosting and having a big boost lag. I got worried so i just uninstalled it and decided to wait until i got a pro tune instead of an OTS map. My car was running fine hitting peak boost of 17.8 PSI and now 2 days later it’s only peaking at 8.9 PSI on sport sharp. I have driven about 130 miles since uninstalled the accessport and returned to stock tune. Am I screwed if I go to the dealership?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to this forum, so I don't have a deep history to look through to validate things. But, I'm not new to the STi and have been on a bunch of other boards.

You will run into a ton of issues with BOV's. I imagine that the dealer, first thing will check and see if the car has been tuned. Your mileage may vary with dealers, it just depends on how tuner friendly they are. Some are, some aren't. Just make sure that BOV is long gone before you go and you may get lucky.

·
Vendor
378 Posts
Take a log with the normal wastegate map and email it to me: [email protected]

Happy to take a peak and see what's going on. The BOV is going to hose your fuel trims, not sure if that's your problem or not...

We can also help you out with a pro-tune if you decide to go that route.

Josh

So I have a 2019 STI, I recently bought a cobb accessport i was already running an ETS catback and a GFB bov. I know i should be running that but i’ve been running that set up with a tune for about 8 months and have had no problems but last week i got a cobb access port and went stage 1. I was over boosting peaking at 20.8 PSI so I changed the tune to stage 1 low wastegate so i wouldn’t over boost but then it was under boosting and making my car run funny. I thought it could have been the blow off valve so i took it over and reflashed stage 1 on the normal wastegate option and it was running fine peaking at 17.7 PSI until it started under boosting and having a big boost lag. I got worried so i just uninstalled it and decided to wait until i got a pro tune instead of an OTS map. My car was running fine hitting peak boost of 17.8 PSI and now 2 days later it’s only peaking at 8.9 PSI on sport sharp. I have driven about 130 miles since uninstalled the accessport and returned to stock tune. Am I screwed if I go to the dealership?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Any chance you replaced the BOV gasket? Those tend to leak VERY easily and are usually 1 time use.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Never had an issue with mine, I've reused it 10's of times.
Have you done a smoke test to verify? Sometimes leaks start out very small and can turn into large ones over time. The general rule of thumb when it comes to automotive gaskets is to replace every time after removal. If you have gotten away with resusing it multiple times then great but it may not be the case for everyone else. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you done a smoke test to verify? Sometimes leaks start out very small and can turn into large ones over time. The general rule of thumb when it comes to automotive gaskets is to replace every time after removal.
For certain types of gaskets I would agree with you. This gasket has a large sealing surface, is quite malleable and doesn't see a lot of heat. It's a perfect candidate for reuse.

I obviously don't do a smoke test every time I pop the intercooler back on but there are other indicators of a boost leak that I'm always on the lookout for. I have in the past done smoke tests when reused gaskets have been in place and never hand an issue.?
That's not to say eventually it won't bite me, but the risk is acceptable for me in this case.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
My 2004 STi had the same issue with the Stage 1 map and the K&N Typhoon intake. Ended up installing the stock intake. Problem solved. (Everything else was stock)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts