IW STi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I pull the drivers side latch the trunk fails to open. It will open with the key and I've flicked the valet mode lock off and it still doesn't work. Here's how it started....I caught a plastic bag in the latch initially a couple of days ago. I removed the bag but the problem persists. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
you could have broken the trunk latch cable, but thats only if when you caught the bag, it quickly jerked the latch up, that would really be the only way that bad boy would break...

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Ya, the latch is broken. Either the bag broke the cable or the latch subtly. Either way it is off to the stealership.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Weird thing is that the cable and latch seem to work fine....I wonder if the cable can be tightened?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
This may sound dumb, but make sure your trunk latch isn't moved to cancelled. If it is on cancelled, the driver side latch would not open it, but only the key would. I know, I know this is probably not the case, but you may never know :confused:.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Endless_STi said:
This may sound dumb, but make sure your trunk latch isn't moved to cancelled. If it is on cancelled, the driver side latch would not open it, but only the key would. I know, I know this is probably not the case, but you may never know :confused:.

Yep. Same here. There's that little metal piece that I somehow managed to move without knowing once, that protects what's in your trunk. In the event someone breaks into your car, they cannot get inside the trunk. Definitely check that, because I thought my trunk latch too was broken until that light went off inside my head, and I grabbed the owners manual, and saw it had a cancel switch in the trunk mechanism. OOPS. Definitely check that to be sure. :)

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah guys that's the first thing I tried. The trunk won't open with the pull cable with the cancel lever in either position.....Next oil change I'll have the dealer look at it.:D Thanks for the ideas guys!!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
My 2004 had latch problems since new - pull the lever and you could feel that there was tension in the cable, but not enough to get the latch to open the trunk. The dealership fixed it on their own during a service visit (I had forgotten about it and just used the key to open it). I remember there were a bunch of trunk-related threads back in the day. I think it was a pretty common problem. (not talking about the cancel switch)

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fixed!! :D I removed the trunk liner to expose the cable along side of the IC spray bottle and just pushed the cable toward the front of the car. It moved several inches! Now it works fine!!

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
twigg107 said:
sweet.... I just had this happen 2 weeks ago!!! Thanks with the fix.
Cool, let me know if this works for you. Kind of a funky fix...but it worked for me.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Endless_STi said:
Well I feel stupid for not reading the complete thread..... after I ripped everything out I found the cancel switch! My question is why in the heck did switch there.... is it so you can have an excuss to tell the cops so they wont find a dead body back there?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts