IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent 2 hrs trying to install my rear speaker. Adaptor plate went on with no problem. The damn Sony speaker has a bump in the back so I couldn't line up the pre-drilled holes.. no biggie.. drilled some new holes. Everything bolted on pretty smoothly. I try to put the door panel back on.. shit.. the speaker is pushing on the door panel and the bottom won't close!!
I think it's because I am using 5 1/2 full range speakers and the tweeter in the middle is sticking up too far. So I tried to mount it without the plate since I had to drill holes anyway, but this speaker doesn't fit in the hole. Now I put everything back together with the bottom of the door panel sticking out.
What would you suggest me to do? Can I remove the tweeter from a full range speaker? Or should I just go get a different set of speaker? I can't seem to find any one way speaker except component system....
HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
You can use a dremel tool to remove some of the material on the inside of the door panel behind the speaker grille.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not on the rear door. There isn't anything to remove, unlike the front door which has a ring around the grill.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Mister2cool said:
not on the rear door. There isn't anything to remove, unlike the front door which has a ring around the grill.
Yes there is. If you look close, you will see a honeycomb pattern. If you remove that flush to the grill holes, you can gain about 1/4"

I am not sure how far the Sony's protrude out, but it was enough to get my Diamonds to fit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like it's off by quite a bit.. I'd say at least 1/2". I mean the center part is pressing on grill already, and the nearest plastic tab (above) didn't even touch the hole yet.
I think I'll have to get a different set of speaker that doesn't have center sticking out. But I am having trouble finding them.. any suggestions?

Can I just yank out the tweeter from that speaker? I mean I don't really need it anyway.. would that damage the speaker itself?

·
Registered
167 Posts
No suggestions....except to try to find a speaker that has the tweeter set lower. Or, take it to a reputable installer and have them sink the speaker into the door. PM me with where in NJ you are....I may be able to direct you to an installer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
...and it really wouldn't be a good idea to just yank out the tweeter.....it *could* change the impedance and that would be bad.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Most people have gotten alpine type rs, boston acoust., or kenwoods for the rear doors. I have some mb quarts .. 5 1/4 with small tweets. I'm not too worried about the tweets in the rear since they get muffled anyway, so I just got 2 ways in the back. The components in the front provide all the highs that I need .. screw the back passengers!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok.. can I use the just woofer from a component set? would it sound weird? I mean with the lacking of tweeter and high range all together.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Mister2cool said:
ok.. can I use the just woofer from a component set? would it sound weird? I mean with the lacking of tweeter and high range all together.
Actually, a midrange woofer would be a better choice for sound wise. I have Diamond Coax's and I can barely hear any highs. Highs are directional, so they have to be aimed toward your ears to sound good. The only function the rear door speakers have is rear fill sound.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went to Bestbuy and they had an openbox Rockford Fosgate 5 1/4" components that is missing tweeters and crossovers. So that became perfect for me.
Took me 40 min this time to do both doors and installation was as easy as 1-2-3. Once again, thanks to the adaptor plate from EastCostWRX, they fitted perfectly.
Finally.. there's sound!!!! I am so excited..

I am still waiting for my 6.5 fronts and hoping that I won't run into the same problem with the front door. I think the SONY 6.5" 2 way stickers out much less than 5.25" one, and there's maybe a little more room in between door panels in front door.. my fingers are crossed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mister2cool said:
Went to Bestbuy and they had an openbox Rockford Fosgate 5 1/4" components that is missing tweeters and crossovers. So that became perfect for me.
Took me 40 min this time to do both doors and installation was as easy as 1-2-3. Once again, thanks to the adaptor plate from EastCostWRX, they fitted perfectly.
Finally.. there's sound!!!! I am so excited..

I am still waiting for my 6.5 fronts and hoping that I won't run into the same problem with the front door. I think the SONY 6.5" 2 way stickers out much less than 5.25" one, and there's maybe a little more room in between door panels in front door.. my fingers are crossed.
I would not suggest running any speaker that is designed to have a crossover without a crossover.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
psycho said:
I would not suggest running any speaker that is designed to have a crossover without a crossover.
Any specific reason for that?

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
The speaker is designed to reproduce a specific range of frequencies. . . eliminating the crossover allows all frequencies to reach the speaker, which will usually cause the speaker to distort.

Basically, it'll sound like garbage, and won't last as long. :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ahhh.. crap.. now what should I do... anyone tried the blue Pioneer ones? those looks like more flush than the SONY.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Just make sure the tweeter don't protrude past the cone.

Also, I don't see why you can't use the Rockford woofers. They are basically a midrange woofer and would work out great for you. I don't know what HU you have, so you might be able to filter some frequencies from there. If you can't and your sending full range sound to them, just use the fade to make them sound good. Also, they make inline crossovers that you wire directly inline if needed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yukonart said:
The speaker is designed to reproduce a specific range of frequencies. . . eliminating the crossover allows all frequencies to reach the speaker, which will usually cause the speaker to distort.

Basically, it'll sound like garbage, and won't last as long. :D
Very well put.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts