IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’ve had my STI for about 8 months and I’d like to increase the power. I visited a well known tuner to discuss options and pricing.

I’d like to get some feedback and opinion.

Basically what was recommended was a protune only. No intake, no catback (note I do not want a loud exhaust at all)

He showed me a few dyno sheets and it looks like most 2015+ STI’s make about 240whp and 220wtq stock on his dyno and his 91 octane tune should get me to about 260-270whp and 290-300tq.

Is this what most people are seeing with a protune?
Is an intake worth any gains? He said it’s just a noise maker at the end of the day.

We discussed stage 2 and he said I’d need injectors, fuel pump, catted dp, intake etc and much much bigger budget.

I just want to be sure the protune only is a good gain. I don’t want to be redoing things at additional cost.

I’m not a 1/4 mile racer but he said one Customer ran a 12.7-12.8 after his tune which was 1 full second faster than stock.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
A protune is honestly one of the best mods for our cars. Its a custom made map to that car. I would go with what your tuner is recommending. If you're going to get the car tuned then you will need an accessport. Might as well go for stage 1 with an intake and get the car tuned. Trust me, having the car protuned will make a night and day differance in the way you feel about the car.

·
Super Moderator
8,398 Posts
I personally think every STi should be tuned away from the factory tune. Based on your post, I would recommend no parts changes and tune only.

If you do decide to go to Stage 2... Downpipe and tune is all you really need. You can get a fuel pump, but the injectors are just fine. If you're hitting 100%, do the math with the below picture and you'll have a better idea of where the injector is really at (more like 80%).

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you are going for a tune I'd at least get a down pipe. They are cheap and you'll gain a lot more. Stock injectors may be the limiting factor but they will be fine for a basic tune.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Be advised, what you are considering is a slippery slop. You must acknowledge that any sort of a tune can and will void your factory warranty. If you don’t agree with the concept of “Pay to Play” and do not wish to be accountable like an adult for your own decision, then stop thinking about it and stay stock.

There are plenty of success stories on the net about aftermarket tunes but are also littered with a few tragic endings. I am being “ that guy” because most of us are sick of seeing treads about “Subaru void my warranty......” or “I went to Tuner X and ........etc”. I am in no way against mods, just against immature decision making.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cobb turbo back and pro tune Mustang Dyno with no fuel mods here. Couldn’t be happier with the car. Makes good power and I got 27.5 mpg on a recent 350 mile trip running 75 mph.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2018's details:-
Stock Car: 2018 STi AU Spec 220WHP
Stage 2: Processwest Intake, RCM EL headers, Invidia catted down pipe, 3 port and pro tuned 273WHP, quieter than stock lol
Current: Arashi TD06SL 20G BB, ID1000's, Turbosmart FPR, DW65C - 321WHP @ 20PSI
All power runs on same dyno.

Intake doesn't do much on stock turbo, just get a panel filter

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
We often sell headers to guys that want NO sound increase and a bump in performance. Along with a pro-tune the feedback is generally a decent uptick in power, with slightly less exhaust sound, with no adverse effects.

The reasons are far and wide: emissions, stealth, prolonged reliability, mods without wife knowing, etc...

This setup vs stock is not even a close race. It's a decent bump in power.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I recently went back to stock (was running stage 2 pro tune) and I a NOW running MAP Stage 1.

It is REALLY impressive for a Stage 1 Map!

MAP Dyno'd 300 tq on 93, and it definitely feels it.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
My 2018's details:-
Stock Car: 2018 STi AU Spec 220WHP
Stage 2: Processwest Intake, RCM EL headers, Invidia catted down pipe, 3 port and pro tuned 273WHP, quieter than stock lol
Current: Arashi TD06SL 20G BB, ID1000's, Turbosmart FPR, DW65C - 321WHP @ 20PSI
All power runs on same dyno.

Intake doesn't do much on stock turbo, just get a panel filter

Uh, no! I had a similar setup on my 15 when I got it, and with the downpipe, the added ELH headers got rid of the boom, but it definitely made the exhaust louder, and it was noticeable the most in the 2-3500. Many of my friends thought I upgraded my catback, even though it was stock.

Maybe on stock downpipe, it would be quieter...

·
Registered
260 Posts
We often sell headers to guys that want NO sound increase and a bump in performance. Along with a pro-tune the feedback is generally a decent uptick in power, with slightly less exhaust sound, with no adverse effects.

The reasons are far and wide: emissions, stealth, prolonged reliability, mods without wife knowing, etc...

This setup vs stock is not even a close race. It's a decent bump in power.
Currently only have the cobb turboback on my 2017 sti, really lookin to get the killer b equal length headers sounds beeeeautiful (and for the reliability??).. but are you sure this doesn't increase the sound at all??! The cobb turboback isn't loud at all honestly once car gets warmed up :) lastly are there any discounts ya'll have for them headers??!

Also would you recommend changing the oil pan to killer b oil pan if not tracking? ?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I recently went back to stock (was running stage 2 pro tune) and I a NOW running MAP Stage 1.

It is REALLY impressive for a Stage 1 Map!

MAP Dyno'd 300 tq on 93, and it definitely feels it.
Any reason you went back to stock but still kept a OTS map on it?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Currently only have the cobb turboback on my 2017 sti, really lookin to get the killer b equal length headers sounds beeeeautiful (and for the reliability??).. but are you sure this doesn't increase the sound at all??! The cobb turboback isn't loud at all honestly once car gets warmed up :) lastly are there any discounts ya'll have for them headers??!

Also would you recommend changing the oil pan to killer b oil pan if not tracking? ?
It increases it quite a bit with a catback, and more so with a downpipe.

But then again, you think the Cobb Turboback isn't loud and I thought it was pretty bad, especially compared to Corsa which is much more tame driving around. My wife wouldn't ride in the car with the Cobb setup, and I don't blame her. When I returned the Cobb Catback at COBB, they installed the Corsa, and couldn't believe how much nicer, and quieter it sounded.

The Cobb is NOT quiet, it's very bassy and boomy where you spend a lot of time in the 2500-3500.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Any reason you went back to stock but still kept a OTS map on it?
Ya, I was Stage 2 91 Protuned, and had to go back to stock for warranty work.

the Stage 1 93 (I am using octane booster) is honestly not that far off from my protune, which is simply amazing. No parts installed, and just a reflash and it doesn't feel that much different than my 91 tuned Stage 2.

I am so impressed, that if Subaru ends up lemmoning my car, I will just do this on my 2020 Sti.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hey guys, I’ve had my STI for about 8 months and I’d like to increase the power. I visited a well known tuner to discuss options and pricing.

I’d like to get some feedback and opinion.

Basically what was recommended was a protune only. No intake, no catback (note I do not want a loud exhaust at all)

He showed me a few dyno sheets and it looks like most 2015+ STI’s make about 240whp and 220wtq stock on his dyno and his 91 octane tune should get me to about 260-270whp and 290-300tq.

Is this what most people are seeing with a protune?
Is an intake worth any gains? He said it’s just a noise maker at the end of the day.

We discussed stage 2 and he said I’d need injectors, fuel pump, catted dp, intake etc and much much bigger budget.

I just want to be sure the protune only is a good gain. I don’t want to be redoing things at additional cost.

I’m not a 1/4 mile racer but he said one Customer ran a 12.7-12.8 after his tune which was 1 full second faster than stock.
The real question is how much do you want to spend? The best bang for the buck is to have the car tuned for E85 (if that alternative fuel is available in your area) The gains and overall performance of your vehicle will far exceed anthing else you experiment with. I'd look into that as an option. Even if you dont have the budget now, save up , be patient. The final results will be worth the wait.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
These kinds of discussions really make me question my Protuner, who has a good reputation on Subaru’s for many years now.

After I installed my COBB DP on my 2018 STI, I went to him for a protune. He was only able to get 3-4 hp and 5-10 Tq over the Cobb OTS 91 Stage 2 Map. After about a week, I went back to the OTS map because the driveability was so much better. Smoother on off throttle in traffic.

So I recently installed Cobb Intake, KB Holy Header/Up Pipe, Fuel pump, 1050 Injectors, 3 port boost solenoid, fuel press reg kit, AOS, and KB Oil pick Up. He did a new pro tune for me on these mods and was able to get another 30ish HP and 15 TQ. Once again, to me, the driveability sucks. I wish I had just added the AOS, Oil Pickup, and Header/Up Pipe. I still would have needed a new tune, but for the money spent on fuel upgrades that he felt I needed to take advantage of adding intake, I feel like the return was not worth it.

I really think I need to find a new tuner. Strange because this guy has a very good reputation and I wonder if it’s just me.

·
Super Moderator
8,398 Posts
These kinds of discussions really make me question my Protuner, who has a good reputation on Subaru’s for many years now.

After I installed my COBB DP on my 2018 STI, I went to him for a protune. He was only able to get 3-4 hp and 5-10 Tq over the Cobb OTS 91 Stage 2 Map. After about a week, I went back to the OTS map because the driveability was so much better. Smoother on off throttle in traffic.

So I recently installed Cobb Intake, KB Holy Header/Up Pipe, Fuel pump, 1050 Injectors, 3 port boost solenoid, fuel press reg kit, AOS, and KB Oil pick Up. He did a new pro tune for me on these mods and was able to get another 30ish HP and 15 TQ. Once again, to me, the driveability sucks. I wish I had just added the AOS, Oil Pickup, and Header/Up Pipe. I still would have needed a new tune, but for the money spent on fuel upgrades that he felt I needed to take advantage of adding intake, I feel like the return was not worth it.

I really think I need to find a new tuner. Strange because this guy has a very good reputation and I wonder if it’s just me.
What sucks about your drivability? You have quality parts that are fairly common, I don't see why your tuner doesn't have that on point. Have you talked to him about it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
my car did exactly what u are being told, it was a good improvement. i do have to agree with the person that said consider what u are doing to warranty, subaru looks for any reason not to cover, my car is a 2014, i did the tune at 39,000 miles spun a rod bearing at 42,000 miles no warranty. I believe rod bearing and main bearing issue is 2008 thru 2014. I know 2 guys that did tune, boost control (one did downpipe) both had piston issues, one was a 2012 the other 2013. after i rebuilt motor i did a lot more (turbo, intercooler, injectors, fuel pump, oil cooler, AOS, downpipe, exhaust, boost control, killer B (actually on when rod bearing went out) and more), the happiest i was with car was when it was stock with the tune and killer B pan. i would enjoy what u have and do nothing that the dealer doesn't approve.

·
Registered
18 Posts
my car did exactly what u are being told, it was a good improvement. i do have to agree with the person that said consider what u are doing to warranty, subaru looks for any reason not to cover, my car is a 2014, i did the tune at 39,000 miles spun a rod bearing at 42,000 miles no warranty. I believe rod bearing and main bearing issue is 2008 thru 2014. I know 2 guys that did tune, boost control (one did downpipe) both had piston issues, one was a 2012 the other 2013. after i rebuilt motor i did a lot more (turbo, intercooler, injectors, fuel pump, oil cooler, AOS, downpipe, exhaust, boost control, and more), the happiest i was with car was when it was stock with the tune. i would enjoy what u have and do nothing that the dealer doesn't approve, not even an air filter.
mods for durability killer B oil pan with oil pick up, and oil accumulator.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts