IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 738 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Re: Prague STi - the Transformation (Rally Armor mudflaps arrived! - PICs)

Well, I'm officially looking for CF Hood Dampers ... I have found NSR and Endura so far. I found some NSR on ebay ... 149.00 USD -- plus 75.00 USD for shipping to the CZ, WTF! On the Endura site, you can only pick the US for delivery. WTF? Conspiracy! The cost of shipping should be no more than 20 bucks ... what's up with the over-charging? It's not like it's extra work ... dag-nabit!

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Re: Prague STi - the Transformation (Hood Damper Conspiracy!)

Here are my Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds before being mounted:

Here they are after being mounted (yes, I know, my car is filthy! Just how how like it!):

Front:

Back:

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Re: Prague STi - the Transformation (Winter Sport 3Ds have arrived!)

Hey guys, so I'm starting to put a *MOD BOOK* together, as Chris05Sti has done for his beloved Black Betty. My initial plan is to keep the car "somewhat" stock, but make a bunch of performace mods that shouldn't be too crazy. My current list I have on the mind is:

Handling:

* Whiteline Sway Bars (Front/Rear)
* Whiteline End-links

Engine:

* GrimmSpeed EWG Up Pipe Kit
* COBB SS 3" Turboback Exhaust (Question is, will GrimmSpeed EWG fit this pipe?)
* APS 65mm CAI

I should be able to run my stock turbo and intercool with these changes no problem ... but, I wanted to hear feedback from you guys? Am I missing something that will really make this setup work? I know down the road I can go FMIC, etc... but, I think that will be my "stage 2" of sorts. Or, am I trying to squeeze too much into the stock intercool? Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
Re: Prague STi - the Transformation (MOD planning, need your guys' imput)

Thanks for the compliment, I try to document everything I can to help others learn/read/help them with their mod path.

As far as your setup, contact or e-mail GrimmSpeed to see if the EWG setup fits the Cobb DP.

May I add this to your list, you will further hate me I know ahhaha:

Suspension:
* Sway bars (They do more for the suspension than strut tower bars)
* Endlinks (To compliment the sway bars, I have seen people break stock endlinks with aftermarket sway bars)
*Anti-Lift Kit (WOW, makes your car handle like a freaking go-kart, I got the GT-Spec Race version, MY GOD its amazing!)
*Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings (Since your in there, why not and its cheap:))

Engine:
* Walbro Fuel Pump (You will need this for the tune)
* NGK 1-Step colder spark plugs (You will need this for the tune)
* Some sort of engine management (You will need this to even get tuned, I prefer the Cobb AP)
* Turbosmart 38mm EWG or TiAL 38mm EWG (You may be able to go 44mm but on a stock turbo I would go for a 38mm)

Thats all I can think of, let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

Leave it to Chris to break a man's wallet :)

Well, you're right on the sway-bars ... the strut tower bars are almost worthless (just buy new springs will do the trick I reckon). I think I can leave the sway bars out too ... for $$$$$$ sake.

As for the TurboSmart or TiAL 38mm EWG ... you recommend these over the Grimm?

Also, as for engine management -- this is gonna sound stupid, but how come folks need play with the engine computer? Doesn't the computer change what's needed based upon what's going on? So, if I add new turbo, headers, etc... it should adjust itself, no? Or, does it only adjust within a certain "band" of changes? I am debating this with folks who say if you add new mods, the computer will make the changes automatically -- I don't agree, but I thought I'd ask ...

Otherwise, your suggestions sound good -- I know for a fact the fuel pump will be needed (forgot to include that initially) .... the lift kit, etc... all that can come later I suppose. :)

Thanks for the compliment, I try to document everything I can to help others learn/read/help them with their mod path.

As far as your setup, contact or e-mail GrimmSpeed to see if the EWG setup fits the Cobb DP.

May I add this to your list, you will further hate me I know ahhaha:

Suspension:
* Sway bars (They do more for the suspension than strut tower bars)
* Endlinks (To compliment the sway bars, I have seen people break stock endlinks with aftermarket sway bars)
*Anti-Lift Kit (WOW, makes your car handle like a freaking go-kart, I got the GT-Spec Race version, MY GOD its amazing!)
*Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings (Since your in there, why not and its cheap:))

Engine:
* Walbro Fuel Pump (You will need this for the tune)
* NGK 1-Step colder spark plugs (You will need this for the tune)
* Some sort of engine management (You will need this to even get tuned, I prefer the Cobb AP)
* Turbosmart 38mm EWG or TiAL 38mm EWG (You may be able to go 44mm but on a stock turbo I would go for a 38mm)

Thats all I can think of, let me know what you think.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts

Also, as for engine management -- this is gonna sound stupid, but how come folks need play with the engine computer? Doesn't the computer change what's needed based upon what's going on? So, if I add new turbo, headers, etc... it should adjust itself, no? Or, does it only adjust within a certain "band" of changes? I am debating this with folks who say if you add new mods, the computer will make the changes automatically -- I don't agree, but I thought I'd ask ...
Certain parts of the ECU "learn", but no, not the whole ECU. That's why you need to re-tune the ECU to work with your current setup. Now, an aftermarket ECU will allow you to tweak even more settings than the stock one, so that only becomes neccessary after a certain point in your modding journey. I'll let the experts chime in on the specifics, but I think this would be the correct high-level overview.

Also, the "Engine management" he's referring to is just re-flashing (re-tuning) of your stock ECU, not getting the aftermarket ECU. Google for Cobb's AccessPort for more info....

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts

^What he said. With running the EWG, you DEF need a tune. You actually need to find a tuner thats local! Find a really good tuner, and go with what they feel comfortable tuning with. The Grimmspeed EWG kit is fine, but you actually need an EWG to put on it, TiAL and Turbosmart are good ones to go with. You will def need 1 step colder spark plugs and I may suggest getting a prodrive boost solenoid to further aid in the control of boost. You def need a tune to run what your looking to buy.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

Hey guys,

Yeah, I figured that'd be the answer you guys give about the ECU -- but, wanted to ask.

ToeKutter: Cobb won't sell to me because I'm in Europe, and they (Cobb) say they don't support EDM Scoobies. :( So, I am gonna be stuck with Ecutek or a manual map made on ECuflash/RomRaider.

Chris: I'll check into TiAL and Turbosmart -- those seem like the most common EWGs that everybody is using. Ithought the GrimmSpeed came with everything I needed, but apparently, I need to do more homework :)

And note taken on the boost solenoid and spark plugs!

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts

Sounds good!!!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts

ToeKutter: Cobb won't sell to me because I'm in Europe, and they (Cobb) say they don't support EDM Scoobies. :( So, I am gonna be stuck with Ecutek or a manual map made on ECuflash/RomRaider.
I've been playing with ROMRaider and Open Source recently and it seems like they support a lot of different stuff, AND from what I heard/read, a lot of tuners are using the software. Not sure what the situation in Europe is, but finding a tuner that uses open source software would be really cool for you. You're not "stuck" in any way, there's a lot of support and documentation out there, and the software is just as powerful as any other (expensive) solution. Except this one is FREE! Hard to argue with that!

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

Well, I have RomRaider, but I haven't tried it. I will this weekend. ECUFlash didn't work, but my Tuner friend I found here said I have to do the "Green Connectors" in order to get it to work -- I was under the impression on the 2006, I didn't need to do that. So, I will try both this weekend, hopefully, it'll work. I really want to mess with my car :)

I've been reading a lot of negative stuff about ECUtek here in these forums -- not sure if all of the heat is warranted, but I most definately don't like propriarity platforms ... however, if the quality is high, I don't mind. The guy I met does EcuTek normally, but he thinks he can use the others too ... so, we'll see. I think I'll just learn how to do this myself ... I'm a technology guy, I think I can handle it (Boom! There goes my engine probably -- lol).

You running Cobb?

I've been playing with ROMRaider and Open Source recently and it seems like they support a lot of different stuff, AND from what I heard/read, a lot of tuners are using the software. Not sure what the situation in Europe is, but finding a tuner that uses open source software would be really cool for you. You're not "stuck" in any way, there's a lot of support and documentation out there, and the software is just as powerful as any other (expensive) solution. Except this one is FREE! Hard to argue with that!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts

Well, I have RomRaider, but I haven't tried it. I will this weekend. ECUFlash didn't work, but my Tuner friend I found here said I have to do the "Green Connectors" in order to get it to work -- I was under the impression on the 2006, I didn't need to do that. So, I will try both this weekend, hopefully, it'll work. I really want to mess with my car :)

I've been reading a lot of negative stuff about ECUtek here in these forums -- not sure if all of the heat is warranted, but I most definately don't like propriarity platforms ... however, if the quality is high, I don't mind. The guy I met does EcuTek normally, but he thinks he can use the others too ... so, we'll see. I think I'll just learn how to do this myself ... I'm a technology guy, I think I can handle it (Boom! There goes my engine probably -- lol).

You running Cobb?

No, I'm messing with ECUFlash & ROMRaider. I am also a techy, so I feel comfortable with it. Haven't flashed back yet (don't have the balls), but I successfully read the ECU and am logging with RR. By "successfully", I mean REALLY successfully - made sure I followed the directions and had no problems whatsoever.
And yea, you will need to connect the green whatchamawidgets in order to read/write to ECU. Not needed for logging. I am currently brushing up my java skills, because I want to do some additions to ROMRaider, so I'm loving the fact that this is all open source and it gives me a full insight into how it's all done.

My first goal is to take an off the shelf, open-source stage 1 map and use it as a tuning learning tool.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Re: Prague STi - the Transformation (Winter Sports Now Mounted)

Nice car man, I love the white/gold.

I use RomRaider to log (my tune was done on it too). There is a ton of information on the web for it, if you have the time to read through it I'm sure you could figure it out eventually. I don't have the time, so all I do is log...lol. Also, if you get a WB O2, there are a lot of tuners that will tune your car over email. You will have to log > send them the log > they send you a map back > and repeat until your logs look clean.

As far as your turboback goes, I would look for one without a 2.5" taper (COBB tapers to 2.5"). It probably doesn't affect your power that much, but if you're going to buy one new you might as well get one without the taper.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts

I use RomRaider to log (my tune was done on it too). There is a ton of information on the web for it, if you have the time to read through it I'm sure you could figure it out eventually. I don't have the time, so all I do is log...lol. Also, if you get a WB O2, there are a lot of tuners that will tune your car over email. You will have to log > send them the log > they send you a map back > and repeat until your logs look clean.

As far as your turboback goes, I would look for one without a 2.5" taper (COBB tapers to 2.5"). It probably doesn't affect your power that much, but if you're going to buy one new you might as well get one without the taper.
Do you have any personal experience with email tuning? Does it really work as well as advertised?

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

Thanks Bro for the info (and the compliment on the car)...

Do you know any specific sites that have more info about RomRaider (besides the RomRaider forums?). Any place to download maps, etc...?

Yeah, time is my main issue ... I work WAyyyyyyyyyyyy too much. Part of me just wants to pay a bad ass to do the tuning, but the other part of me wants to do it myself. I think a nice split/mix is in order for sure.

I most definately would like a "second opinion" of sorts from other tuners. Always always good to get a "second opinion" when you go to the Docs, so it's a good thing to do with your precious car too ;-) I'll check into WB 02 ...

Yeah, as for Cobb's TBE ... yeah, I may go with Agency Power instead -- nothing against Cobb, but I'm reading that you can do much better than Cobb when it comes to exhausts (although, there is nothing wrong with Cobb per se). So, we'll see. I need to read more about the advantages, disadvantages. I think my "initial" Stage 1 won't need so much ... maybe down the road, when I throw in a new Turbo, etc... I'll need that extra space.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts

Do you know any specific sites that have more info about RomRaider (besides the RomRaider forums?). Any place to download maps, etc...?
RomRaider is my favorite, then OpenECU.org for general Open ECU info.
For maps (free & for sale) go to Open Source ECU ROMS. You will have to join and then dig into the forums. It's not very user-friendly, but keep digging, or PM me once you join, and I'll shoot you the link or the maps themselves.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

Holy crap, my grandpa has my usability webmaking skills than that site. Do you have any maps you can send me? I just want to open something up in ROM Raider and look at it (since I can't pull a map from my car yet) ... I don't care if it's for a different year, not gonna use it on my car -- just wanna take a peek -)

That site is horrid, horrid!

RomRaider is my favorite, then OpenECU.org for general Open ECU info.
For maps (free & for sale) go to Open Source ECU ROMS. You will have to join and then dig into the forums. It's not very user-friendly, but keep digging, or PM me once you join, and I'll shoot you the link or the maps themselves.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts

Holy crap, my grandpa has my usability webmaking skills than that site. Do you have any maps you can send me? I just want to open something up in ROM Raider and look at it (since I can't pull a map from my car yet) ... I don't care if it's for a different year, not gonna use it on my car -- just wanna take a peek -)

That site is horrid, horrid!
Yea, it's not very user-friendly, but once you sign up, you get a lot more info and access to forums. Hey, I'm retarted - how do I attach a file to PM to you? If it's not possible, PM me your email address, and I'll email you some maps.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Do you have any personal experience with email tuning? Does it really work as well as advertised?
All start off by saying I'm not a tuner, I just have messed around with the program some.

I think it all depends on how good the logs are that the tuner gets (right values logged, plenty of them in different conditions, labeled correctly, etc.) and how much time the tuner actually spends on the tune. If you find a good tuner that has been tuning for a while, they should be able to send you a base map that gets you pretty close, this should save a lot of time. Its obviously not going to better than a in person tune, but it should get you pretty damn close.

As for wanting a map to look at. There should be a bunch of free ones posted on romraider. I know Gabe has a lot of them, you can try PMing him. I think his name on here is "Gabedude" or something...

41 - 60 of 738 Posts