IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what exactly is powershifting? i've heard the term alot over the years and never have really gotten its definition down. i figure with all of the talk about downshifting maybe its time to start talking about how to going forward through the gears.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Powershifting is shifting your car into a gear without using this clutch. If the revs are matched correctly one can accomplish this without no problem. I have never tried it but have been in the car with people that have.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm...thats hard to understand...at least for a guy who has little experience with driving stick. anyone care to elaborate on this for me?

·
Registered
347 Posts
jersey sti..."without no problem", is that like with a problem? you can upshift the sti w/o the clutch, but it's slower than w/ it. you just pull it out of gear as you let you foot off the gas, then keep pressure on the gear lever 'til it pops into the next gear. it usually get a bit easier as you get into the higher gears.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If it is done wrong it is a problem. It is a sure fire way to tear up the synchronizers unless you match the speeds for every shift perfectly.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hmm.. You might just be right. Although I always thought power shifting was simply leaving your foot on the gas and then using the clutch to shift between gears (very quickly) to avoid overrevving. I was not aware that shifting without the using the clutch at all was considered power shifting... I always thought that was called "dumb" ;) [heh].

Learn somthing new everyday. My last car being a 2002 WRX I always let off the gas completely and used the clutch between shifts while on the STi I will keep my foot on the gas while shifting with the clutch when I am at the 1/4 mile track.

·
Registered
9 Posts
well theres really not that much of a benifit to it, basically your trying to eliminate the clutch out of the sequence. If this is the case get a sequential shifter now those are fun...
powershifting...go WOT, when you hit redline or end of power-curve, at the same time...come off the gas all the way and shift into next gear...Its not recommended because its an easy way to burn up some syncros, clutch, gears and all that jazz...
just do your best at shifting or get a sequential shifter mm-mmm they make me drool...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shifting without using the clutch? that really does'nt make sense. i can't imagine anyone trying to post a quick quarter mile time would'nt be using the clutch in a factory type gearbox. i did some searching on the internet and found that link to a Ford Mustang forum. it has a good rundown on how to shift at the strip for maximum performance. i had always figured powershifting meant shifting while under power, not shifting without the clutch. usually i take my foot off or at least let up on the gas while shifting. but i had read that powershifting in the using the clutch sense would offer better acceleration at the track. that it is a lost art so to say. just keep the pedal mashed to the floor and stab at the clutch and time the shift just right. please click on the link if you want to know what i am talking about.

·
Registered
347 Posts
"power" shifting is like that link said, shifting w/ the gas pedal pinned, and stabbing the clutch pedal very quickly. "power" shifting is not shifting w/o the clutch. the thing i don't get is that all of the "quick-shifters" (motorcycles) and "sequential" boxes on cars have a feature that cuts the spark for an instant to smooth the shift. maybe this isn't the quickest shift, but makes sure everything last longer?

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
I don't understand how an auto tranny can be faster? I thought a manual is always faster if you shift correctly?

·
Registered
55 Posts
It is simple, shift your car without lifting off of the gas pedal. You just jap the clutch and shove it into gear. I used to do it in every gear in my old sentra, but i dont think you should do it on you sti, my sentra was a beast.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't understand how an auto tranny can be faster? I thought a manual is always faster if you shift correctly?
it's called horsepower...massive amounts of it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
people use automatics for consistency. if you have to race for a couple rounds than you can't afford that one time when you might miss a shift because you'll lose. that and an automatic tranny can be set-up to give wicked hard and fast shifts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Anyone put a kit/bumper on?

Power Shifting is not shifting without the clutch it's shifting with out taking your foot off the throttle (WOT) and can be dangerous if you don't have a rev limiter and miss a shift.

Shifting without a clutch on a bike is power shifting but riders usually use an air shifter to get through the gears

and crashsti is right on in saying auto's are for consistency however I will add that automativs set properly will be faster in 1/4 times more than manuals but manual tranny's will have much more pop off the line and are better in slaloms and curves

my $.02

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
norcal-sti said:
it's called horsepower...massive amounts of it.
You're comparing apples to oranges. You can't compare two things with two different variables, unless you make two comparisons. :roll: Of course a 2500 lb, 500 hp car will be faster than a 2500 lb, 200 hp car, regardless of what tranny is in them. Case in point: Easy Street Motorsports ESX 740 WRX that from what I understand now has an auto tranny (see here). Will this car beat my stock manual-tranny WRX? Of course it will, even if I don't miss a shift. Everything else being equal, auto trannys for the same car are generally slower, as in the regular WRX. Also, I said if you shift correctly or maybe I should've said properly, all bets are off if you miss a shift.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
crashsti said:
people use automatics for consistency. if you have to race for a couple rounds than you can't afford that one time when you might miss a shift because you'll lose. that and an automatic tranny can be set-up to give wicked hard and fast shifts.
My comment assumes that you don't miss a shift. Again, this is similar to norcal-sti's post in that it appears you're comparing a modified auto tranny to a stock manual tranny. In this case as well, all bets are off. Take any car that is offered in a manual and an auto and race them, the manual will win if shifting is done properly. Note that I wasn't wondering why people use automatics, and really I think most people buy automatics because they're lazy :D , but rather I was asking how it is possible for an auto tranny to be faster than a manual tranny.

·
Registered
55 Posts
[/quote]
, but rather I was asking how it is possible for an auto tranny to be faster than a manual tranny.[/quote]

An AutoTrans will be faster because then shift under WOT and do not miss a shift,

however if you "powershift" a manual and don't miss you will probably come out ahead speaking stock vs stock

but to repeatedly beat out the autotrans would would have to powershift flawlessly and even with a short throw shifter and sweet bushings you are bound to miss a shift in best of 3.

Also you can hold a gear longer in an Automatic, think about it 6spd you'd have to shift 4 times per run say 3 runs = 12 shifts under adrenaline charged powershifting is tough

again this is my $.02, please don't flame :)

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
the reason behind ESX car being an auto is development from tony rigoli performance who also run autos. they simply can not stop anything from breaking on a manual trans with the added impact generated from gearshifts C&V first fitted an auto box to a drag impreza which is the silver car that run [email protected] tony rigolis red wagon that run [email protected] also runs the auto.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts