IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
White 2004 WRX at Subaru Of Missassauga

Has anyone used one of those do-it-yourself powerwashing places that are everywhere? It is too cold and snowy to break out the hose around here and try and wash my car the old fashioned way. Anyway, I am just wondering what the results were, and if it was OK for the car or if the pressure was too much for the paint or messed up the brakes any bit at all. (Sorry if this has been discussed, but I did a search and nothing showed up for it.)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I use them all the time. I live in an apartment so I'm without choice. Anyway, there is no problem with using them. Biggest thing is don't get that nozzle too close to the car, the pressure at like 4-6 inches is like a sand blasting effect. Keep it at least a foot away and you'll be fine. Also, don't use those brushes they have there. Get a bucket and a mitt and just run soap over it yourself. I usually end up spending 3 bucks to wash it then go home and do the wheels with a bucket and a different mitt.

HTH. Lemme know if you need any more info.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I use them all the time too - like evo said, definitely don't hold the nozzle close to the car. I keep it about 2 feet or so away at least. Oh yeah, like was already mentioned DO NOT use the soapy brush thing that is there!!! That is guaranteed to scratch your car, as people drop it on the ground all the time and there are always many small rocks and stuff like that that gets trapped in the bristles. I go around 8:30pm when nobody is around to give me guff about taking the time to hand wash the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Billy_Talent said:
Oh yeah, like was already mentioned DO NOT use the soapy brush thing that is there!!! That is guaranteed to scratch your car, as people drop it on the ground all the time and there are always many small rocks and stuff like that that gets trapped in the bristles.
I use the power washer to blast the brush...that way you can use it and not worry if any rocks or junk is in it...The power washer will do a good job cleaning that brush.....In New England if you just count on the power washer to clean the salt and grime it ain't gonna happen, either bring a brush with you or power blast the one there before you use it....

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have my own power washer from home depot. It makes washing the car effortless and enjoyable. It plus right into the wall jack and connects up to the hose. Sometimes I just pull it out to clean off the BBS wheels and put it back when the wheels are dirty and the car is relatively clean.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I can't wash my car at home, so I have to use the power washer. I end up taking three buckets with me so I can wash it by hand. That nasty brush doesn't go anywhere near my paint. People will probably think I'm nuts for the lengths I go to for a nice clean car... but here's what I do..

I have two small 2 gallon buckets, and one 5 gallon. You kinda have to do this after hours, because the car wash places will get real pissed if you do it when the place is busy.

When the water is running, I just get the car wet and use the rest of the time to fill the buckets... one small bucket is for soap (Z7). The 5 gallon bucket is for rinsing... I rinse my rag out in the 5 gallon before putting it back in the soap again, and then dump some of the water from the 5 gallon into a smaller bucket so I can use that to rinse the soap off before it dries. Once the water in the 5 gallon gets low, I'll run the pressure washer again and rinse the whole car off again... then fill the buckets back up.

It costs me about $10 to do the whole car... but I don't get any scratches and it looks spotless when I'm done.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
STi vs. Mustang GT Roush Stage 2

I thought I was the only nut that did that late at night with my own buckets. :) Three more weeks though and I will have my own garage and driveway, I can't wait. Then I will have to wait for the temps to get above freezing though before I can wash my cars.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Do any of you guys live near the snow where they lay down salt on the roads? if so do you guys ever try to wash under the car to get rid of that stuff?

·
Registered
454 Posts
DJ_STi said:
Do any of you guys live near the snow where they lay down salt on the roads? if so do you guys ever try to wash under the car to get rid of that stuff?
I live in an area where we get snow regularly and drive through mountain passes all the time... but they don't use salt on the roads in Washington State.

I do put the sprayer under the car and give it a good rinse after I've been doing a lot of snow driving, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts