IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advise/help.

I've had my Blue/Gold STI since May 28th and I have very much enjoyed it. Now that I have 1000 miles I’ve been driving the car progressively harder. This, while fun, has raised a small concern however. How do I know I am making 300 HP?

My car seems fast, yet sometimes I wonder if it is as fast as described in magazines. Truthfully, at times, it doesn’t seem to pull that much harder than my 2000 VW GTI VR6 did. My car doesn’t have a detonation issue (93 Octane) that I’ve heard and we have had warm humid weather here in Michigan lately, but I guess I thought it might have more go than it does.

Then I came across this thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=386153

He seems to be having the same issues. Do dealers have the technical ability to help me determine if my car is running correctly? Can they verify the 14.5 boost level?

If you all think they can then I will give them a call on Monday, otherwise what other options do I have?

Thanks!
FD

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Dyno it.

Even the magazines have commented that the power is sometimes misleading (doesn't "feel" fast) because of the flat torque curve.

Unless you have something going wrong, I would just assume the power is there.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I saw that thread and became a little worried myself. My car doesn't feel as fast as it did when I first bought it. I'm starting to come to grips that this is because I'm getting used to the car.

Just last night I drove my sisters 95 Toyota Avalon which is rated at I think 192 hp. That car felt so slow to me that now I'm sure my STi is fine. It also felt like it had Cadillac suspension. The funny thing is the Avalon was always kinda fast to me and handled well... not so much anymore :D

I can't wait to drive my truck again and compare... should be very interesting. My truck is currently in a different state so it will be a while before I do that.

So as Rob said if you are real worried dyno it, which isn't a bad idea. You could always bug your service department... not sure what they will say though.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yeah, but it's hard finding a 4-wheel dyno and it's expensive.

Instead, find a Corvette (non-Z06!) or Ferrari 360. Drag race. If you don't win, call 1800SUBARU3

·
Registered
11 Posts
Instead, find a Corvette (non-Z06!) or Ferrari 360. Drag race. If you don't win, call 1800SUBARU3

lol thats funny

how much does it cost?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I noticed the same thing (440 miles now). Seemed quick as hell the first week. Then I noticed this week it was not pulling quite as hard (Temp = 90F)...until I realized I had the A/C on. Yup, the power is back up there (also ditched the spare tire and jack, 42 lb. savings). I did also see the 'getting used to it' affect though - rest assured, it isn't losing power with time.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had the "it doesn't feel fast" from day one since my GC8 has a bigger turbo and way, way more of a punch when it hits boost. It also makes, I dunno, ~50hp less.

The STi is like one of a big HP Mercedes. You have no idea you're going fast if you don't look at the speedo. I like. :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is an AWD dyno in Michigan at Godspeed, Inc. I spoke with them today about some tuning options. They seem really nice to deal with and had a number of inexpensive and non-warranty-threatening modifications that they claim from experience will raise WHP a fair amount.

www.godspeedinc.om

I think I'm going to make an appointment to see them and dyno the car and get some advise on some minor modifications they might be able to do.

The interesting part of the conversation was that they have had a few STi's on their dyno and they have seen the boost vary from car to car. It would seem that some cars are making 14.5-15.0 peak boost and not having any detonation while others are starting off with 16.0 peak boost and then experiencing detonation. They think the boost is varying form car to car. The cars with “normal” boost are making about 248WHP.

I have not had any detonation so I wonder if my car will show the normal 14.5 peak boost level.

Interesting huh?

FD

·
Registered
99 Posts
Check out the G-Tech devices. Some say they are pretty accurate, so same they aren't. They are pretty cheap, so if nothing else, you'd be a fun toy to have.

·
Registered
199 Posts
for the first few weeks i had my STi it was the only car i drove. toward the end it started to feel "slow". now i go back and forth from the STi to my '90 volvo 240, and the slow feeling is totally gone.

i think it's a combination of things that make the STi feel slow, flat torque curve, hot weather, AC, getting used to the car etc. the only way to really be sure is to dyno it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We had an interesting thing happen at the track yesterday. It was hot (for us) 90 and the car didn't feel as fast, I assume the ecu cutting back boost and advance, so we tried the i/c sprayer. Maybe a little more power, but not much, then the next laps much lower power - down 15 mph lower at the end of 1/2 mile straight.
We stopped and checked everything - no hoses lose, etc. Tried again with same result.
This time checked very carefully. The hose connection from the i/c to the manifold was just peeking out under the hose clamp - it was losing boost.
Fixed it up and all the power was back.

The intercooler support on the passenger side is either loose or very poor, allowing the i/c to move easily. That seemed to be the problem.

Just thought I'd pass that along in case it helps anyone.

Noel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts