IW STi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering how much power people would feel comfortable with before they started upgrading the brakes and suspension? i feel like the car could take quite a bit more, but i'm curious about other opinions.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
hmm. power and suspension mods are already underway be several. i haven't seen any brake mods, other than one "renegade" :) who cross-drilled his rotors, and at least one who has tried street/racing pads. i haven't yet seen steel braided lines, which would be an expected mod.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Subaru Concept Car

oops, i'm not saying i feel the need to upgrade my suspension or brakes (btw why on earth would you cross drill stock rotors?)

i'm more interested in when these modifications will become nessessary.

also doesn't the STi come with rubber coated ss lines?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, but cross drilling can cause rotorsto crack. good ones (brembo etc.) are cast with holes in them and later cleaned up.

·
Registered
493 Posts
$145 Vs. used Goodridge for $89 shipped?
I'd take the $89 :)
It works great on my prev. WRX and still waiting for speedbleeder before installing on my STi.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The short anwer to the question of "when?", I think is when you feel like the vehicle is not able to keep up with your abilities overall or in a particular area.

I will be writing a more detailed report later on, but, for example, just this past weekend I was at the track, running as hard as I can. Short-commings of the STi thus far: 1- too much body roll and suspension flex allows too much front and rear camber gain. Definitely a suspension and bushings upgrade for regular autocrossers and trackers would be in order. 2- Brakes. My pads burned and baked on to the rotors in only 3 sessions (90 minutes), turning them into blue. Stock pads do not have enough heat resistance, need at least semi-race ones. Rotors are holding up well overall actually, but they can use few slots on them to help the pads. I promise I will post more details on this to explain them better later on.

On another note, I do not think that the SS brake lines would help too much; actually they would but that would not be the first place I would spend my money. I would go, Pads, brake fluid, brake cooling ducts (if regular on track), and slotted rotors. But that's just me :)

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
[email protected]
I have been looking for brake pads. I have been looking all over the forums and internet. I can't make a decision on which ones I think will fit my needs. I want a set of semi-race pads. Which brands or applications did you have in mind?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Re: How is the STi's handling at high speeds?

abdi said:
[email protected]
I have been looking for brake pads. I have been looking all over the forums and internet. I can't make a decision on which ones I think will fit my needs. I want a set of semi-race pads. Which brands or applications did you have in mind?
Abdi,

My personal favorites are Porterfield R4S or R4 compounds. Porterfield is not as well known as some other big names; such as CarboTech or Hawk Performance, however, SCCA autocrossers and racers know them well.

It is overall a big controversy on which one to go with frankly and just yesterday we had this somewhat heated discussion at the NASIOC forums. At the end it boils down to personal experiences and preferences.

Any how, if you are looking for pads that you do not have to change between street and tracking and if you do occasional driving events, then I would suggest R4S pads. If you are going to be doing frequent tracking or if you really push your car to the limits of speed; then I would suggest full competition compound pads like the R4 or Hawk Blue compound. However, these compounds only work when they are up to their operating tempretures, and will not work well on street driving; so you have to change pads before and after track events.

You can also check the Carbotech pads to see their offerings, but I do not have personal experience with them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
calculator

No need to upgrade the calipers, they are ready for racing. If you are into serious tracking, 13" 48 vane two piece Brembo rotors are a nice upgrade, for the front. Goodridge SS brake lines a *must* even for mild road racing.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
MA subaru

i was under the impression that you can cross drill stock rotors but there is a certain way to do it to avoid the cracking we have all been talking about. i have'nt done any time at the track. don't even know where to find one. i would like to though. i also think that braking and handling should come before engine mods. i've seen too many musclecars with huge motors that needed a airport runway to slowdown from 60 miles an hour. its not just a personal preferance its a safety issue.

·
Registered
114 Posts
crashsti said:
i was under the impression that you can cross drill stock rotors but there is a certain way to do it to avoid the cracking we have all been talking about. i have'nt done any time at the track. don't even know where to find one. i would like to though. i also think that braking and handling should come before engine mods. i've seen too many musclecars with huge motors that needed a airport runway to slowdown from 60 miles an hour. its not just a personal preferance its a safety issue.
Everything I have read on racing says cross drilling is no good. Then, I once got a closeup shot of the 2002 front Ferrari caliper at the Monaco GP. Granted, it's not the usual material, but nevertheless it was not crossdrilled. Why bother?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
its my understanding that under heavy braking forces crossdrilled and slotted rotors are supposed to help disapate heat and help dispearse the gases that can build up between the pads and rotors. would buying crossdrilled and slotted rotors improve braking on the already stellar stopping STi? i don't know. why bother you say? well, i like the look.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
kg said:
...closeup shot of the 2002 front Ferrari caliper at the Monaco GP. Granted, it's not the usual material, but nevertheless it was not crossdrilled. Why bother?
was it slotted? for some reason, i thought they were slotted. i don't have any pics tho'.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
crashsti said:
would buying crossdrilled and slotted rotors improve braking on the already stellar stopping STi?
crossdrilling and slots facilitate cooling, so i would think it would improve any cars braking by reducing fade. definately not something you need for the regular driving, but it must make a difference on the track.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.