IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there seem to be a few winter tire threads, so i thought it might be a good idea to have a single thread where we can post the winter set-ups we have and give any pertinent info regarding our products.

toyo snow prox 225 45 17, v-rated on stock bbs rims
purchased @ town fair tire in massachusetts
list price was approx $220. purchased for $152
total price installed w/replacement warranty: $700

i believe this is the correct name for the tire. they are not the most aggressively treaded snow tire out there, more like m3's...less like hakka's.
they have nice deep channels and plenty of siping. the tread is directional and gives the appearance that it will siphon the slush very well.
i went with the v-rating as i do not plan on driving in the real bad snow, but i would like the added performance for those days when the roads are plowed and conditions are decent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Excuse my non-snow drivin ignorance, but are the stock tires that bad in the snow? Anybody keeping them on? And the rims...can't you just put the snow tires on the stock rims and then put them back in spring? Or does that break down the sidewall? please edumacate me!

·
Registered
601 Posts
The stock tires are horrible in the snow. I thought they would be ok with our AWD, but I slid off the road within two miles of my house a few weeks ago. I am even used to driving in the snow and was taking it easy. I have replaced the tires for the winter time with Blizzack's, 215/45/17. These are a little thinner in the width department but will allow me to gain a little more grip. The thinner the tire you have in the snow, the better a contact patch you will have. I will be replacng these tires with the stockers in the spring, unless I decide to get aftermarket wheels. I am heavily considering a 19" wheel but I have not found any that jump out at me yet.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have Dunlop M2s preinstalled on ASA Ka3s from Tire Rack. The cost was nearly $1300 counting shipping and extra warantee. When I figure the costs of "quality" breakdown, installation, and balancing twice a year as well as the possible damage to tires and $750 BBS wheels... separate sets are a given to me. Finding shops that can and will do it right are even difficult.
The 070s are definitely NOT aceptable for ice and snow. They're even more risky in the rain than I like. They have very few grooves for evacuating the water and will tend to dam it up in front and hydroplane sooner than grooved tires. Snow needs biting chunks of tread and the narrower the tread the better IMHO... :lol:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Same here, I went with the ASA Ka3's from Tire Rack with Dunlop Wintersport M2 tires - $1230 with shipping but no extra warranty. There is no @#$! way I would mount snows on my BBS for cost, wheel damage, and convenience reasons...

·
Registered
326 Posts
I ordered the blizzaks and ASA rims from tire rack..

i wanted the extra set so I can easily just jack up my car and swap them myself... it snows here a lot but then melts..then snows... so I wanted to be able to just change easy.

but yea the Stock tires are worthless in the snow...they were fine in straight line..but trying to turn was pretty interesting...they had no grip at all

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Michelin Pilot Alpins on stock rims here. Next year I hope to have another set of rims (probably make the BBS wheels the winter wheels).

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
It's a shame to make the BBS wheels winter wheels.....

If you're looking for something different, you could probably sell them and buy two nice but much less expensive sets of wheels.....

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
It's not like I am going to be driving through several feet of snow and ice. The only difference between winter and normal use for my wheels is going to be that the winter use means they have winter tires wrapped around them. Right now I have no choice anyway. By the time I do, hopefully there will be more wheel options that fit our cars and have the correct offset, etc. At that time I might do what you say, depending on what used BBS wheels go for.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bronze ROTA SDR's from subydude $650
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 245/45/17 $850
mounted, balanced, and put on the car.

So far the blizzaks are amazing... they were great on ice today

·
Registered
236 Posts
rota SDR bronze, with Yokohama AVS-V901 H rated 225-45/17
$1878 cdn ~~ $1440usd

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dunlop WinterSport M3s on Rota SDRs.

I'm loving the Dunlops a lot.
I had a couple of days to experience the stock tires in snow and it was quite scary. The Dunlops make my car by far the most fun/safest car I've ever driven in snow.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Rota SDR, bronze, w/lugnuts: $600
Semperit Sport Grip snow tires(225-45 17): $340

So far so good. The tires are a lot quieter than stock and seem to perform good enough on dry roads for street driving. It snowed the night I put them on and the roads had a light coating. Hammering it in 1st and 2nd, they did not break loose. Can't wait for a good dumping of snow to really test them out. So far for the money I love them.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
mountie31 said:
Bronze ROTA SDR's from subydude $650
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 245/45/17 $850
mounted, balanced, and put on the car.

So far the blizzaks are amazing... they were great on ice today
sorry, i meant 225/45/R17

·
Registered
55 Posts
ASA KA3's w/Blue Andonized Center ring
Dunlop M3 Runflats 245/45 17's

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rota SDR's-$650
Nokian WR's-$786 mounted, balanced and installed
Awesome Acceleration and braking. Drive away like on dry pavement. Oh, I forgot to mention there was 6 inches of snow on the ground. Had a Subaru mechanic in the car with me. Wish I could of taken a picture of dropped jaw. Then I went to a K-Mart parking lot which was closed on Sunday and experimented with the center-diff. Probably took a couple thousand miles of rubber of the tires. That part still has me miffed. I tried carving, four wheel drifting, and hanging the back end out, DCCD locked, loose and AUTO. Didn't seem to make much Diff-erence. At the radius I was carving, all I could do was 20 mph give or take a couple miles an hour. Damn front end just wouldn't hold. Front end just starting to plow. Anyway it was still a blast. Love this car in the snow!!!
If anyone is looking for a-know what they're doing tire shop- in NJ I would strongly recommend B-C Tire in Piscataway. Friendly and share your concerns.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Re: boost cut?

I got the Ace alloy impacts on Pirelli snowsports...cost me $700 installed!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts