IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
clutch adjustment

I am currently driving a 350Z. I do love this car, but after getting stuck in the snow in SE PA last week, I am re-evaluating.

Can you guys talk me into it? I am going to try and test drive one, if I can find it. Which dealer should I check out?

How's the fit/finish? How does it handle in the snow? Hpow tweekable is this car?

TIA

Mike

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I think your test drive will convince you. usually that has been what converted us all. In fact, I did not even drive it, I took a ride in one and was sold. I have owned a 1993 Ford Mustang Cobra and a 1995 Mustang GT, and this car blows them away. It is very tweakable and parts are still coming out for this car all the time. Your advantage is AWD off the line with this car in terms of performance. The AWD in the snow will help but you will need to buy new tires since the ones that come on the vehicle are high performance summer tires. I just read a post of a guy who got stock in the snow with his stock tires because they are so slick. Can't comment on snow handling, but looks like a lot of fun from the videos I have seen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got done playing in about 6" of snow here in Ma. and no chance of getting stuck. Very predictible handling and simply letting off the gas will send you back in the right direction. I am running Hanook snow tires.

Rich

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Mikey_Likes_It said:
I am currently driving a 350Z...[got] stuck in the snow...Can you guys talk me into it? Which dealer should I check out?
:) seems you've talked yourself into it. regarding dealers, my sister, who lives in se pa/nj just bought her wrx wagon at becker in allentown. they're selling STis at invoice. test drive is another issue.
Mikey_Likes_It said:
How's the fit/finish? How does it handle in the snow? Hpow tweekable is this car?
it doesn't have the fit and finish. they put all the money in the mechanics (which is where i personally would want it.) i can't address the snow issue; i've garaged mine. re tweekability? there's suspension parts available; there's power stuff also available (e.g. aps is making 468 on stock internals.) the car is still new but there'll be lots of stuff available.

compared to the 350, you'll give up a lot of luxury. no leather, no sunroof, etc etc. the sti seems a harder core race car. you'll gain two doors, a useable back seat, and awd. if you switch to the sti, if you give up seeing your same car every 5 miles. i drove >5000 miles before i saw my first sti. now i see another sti every two weeks or so; always the same people tho'. ;) you'll get fewer stares and comments in the sti. however those that you get will be from real enthusiasts; the 350 is easy on the eyes to anybody; you gotta know more about the sti than the exterior to love it.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
350Z and STi are two different cars. Very different, IMHO. 350Z is a classic sports car. I like the look, I love the sound of the engine. I love the engine itself! STi is somewhat more practical for everyday use unless you are single or don't have inclement weather. STi is obviously quicker on acceleration from a standstill (not sure how they compare at various speeds on rolling starts). Top speed is higher on the 350Z, thanks to governing on the STi.

One thing that is very subjective and is only my opinion is that I believe both cars are perceived very differently. Most people who don't know a lot about cars seem to think the 350Z is the quicker car in all respects. It seems to be viewed as more of an adult's sports car, whereas the STi seems to be more unknown and viewed as juvenile looking. I think cops would probably be more likely to recognize the 350Z as something only an adult with a decent job could afford, but not so with the STi. I think most cops would probably see a small car with pieces that look like they were stuck on and think young kid with attitude.

These are just my opinions, but take into consideration all aspects of why you bought a 350Z and then all reasons why you would want the STi. If the STi excites you in more ways than just the thought of a great snow driver, then it is definitely worth consideration. Obviously we like it or we wouldn't own them! :D But I can't just say "get it, dude" without recommending serious consideration as I'm not one to believe $30k + cars should be purchased without serious thought. Plus your 350Z is probably not very old and you may even find yourself upside down on it when you trade it in depending on how much you currently owe on it.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
wtb urgent: GF8 vent, sti scoops n stoplamp

A & T Subaru in Sellersville had an STi sitting on the lot when I was in 2 weeks ago to have my oil changed. It looked like they were giving test drives in it.

Was that your 350Z that I saw being towed during last weekend's snow storm? My STi with DCCD set to full lock and Nokian WRs was amazing in 8 inches of snow and ice.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mikey_Likes_It said:
I am currently driving a 350Z. I do love this car, but after getting stuck in the snow in SE PA last week, I am re-evaluating.

Can you guys talk me into it? I am going to try and test drive one, if I can find it. Which dealer should I check out?

TIA

Mike
I traded in an '01 Camaro SS for the STi. Today was the first day I've had a chance to go out and play in the snow with the STi, it was awesome.

Similar 1/4 miles times to the SS, better handling and all weather capability. The SS was more comfortable and sounded a hell of a lot better but the STi is a great car.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Mikey_Likes_It said:

TIA

Mike
Do it, I pull mad highschool ass now.

-st

·
Registered
282 Posts
Singletrack said:
Do it, I pull mad highschool ass now.

-st
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Although I don't think he was specifically asking about that. Oh, and if you really want HS ass, I think the 2f2f Evo would do a better job :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts