1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
50 Posts
There's no possible to it. The 2017 will have the EJ unless CARB got it completely wrong with those certifications.

Taken from a poster on another forum:

On the first page of the WRX/Forester doc, there's a list of Special Features codes. The pertinent ones, along with their explanations, are:
TC = Turbo Charger
CAC = Charge Air Cooler (aka Intercooler)
DFI = Direct Fuel Injection

The STI doc indicates its fuel injection method is:
SFI = Sequential Fuel Injection

This means that the 2.5L in the next STi will not be a direct injection motor.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
That's great news in my opinion. Keep the EJ. The recall with the FA engines this week indicate that they need to get the suppliers of the engine parts to a higher quality.

The EJ is tried and true and can be modded to infinity and it's getting cheaper to do it as more and more aftermarket parts keep innovating for it.

All the STI needs is a dual clutch version of the 6 speed it has now to take it to another level!!! It would be a good deal faster.

·
Registered
780 Posts
That's great news in my opinion. Keep the EJ. The recall with the FA engines this week indicate that they need to get the suppliers of the engine parts to a higher quality.

The EJ is tried and true and can be modded to infinity and it's getting cheaper to do it as more and more aftermarket parts keep innovating for it.

All the STI needs is a dual clutch version of the 6 speed it has now to take it to another level!!! It would be a good deal faster.
pure foolishness B and B. (again) That argument may have held water for the 2015 MY intro (when the EJ was only 11 years old) but it really doesnt hold water anymore. At what point do we embrace new tech and stop praising Subaru for giving us the "tried and true?" 13 years? 17 years? 20 years? Pretty much every aspect of the EJ can be improved upon =-turbo, fuel injection, headers, fuel delivery (not to mention piston design and materials) - all have undergone significant incremental upgrades in the decade-plus since the quirky little box was first stuffed into the STi engine bay and yet none have really made it into the engine that we get here in the US.

Maybe if Subaru throws us a little bone - bigger turbo and a tune for 350hp - and yeah a dual clutch tranny would be nice - I'd be more enthusistic. But if we get the same engine making the same 305/295 it is a HUGE dissapointment. And btw - last time I checked Subaru is very profitable. It is time to devote some resources to the engine to match the improvements made to the chassis last time around.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could say the same about the LS series motor, shits been around forever but now they have moved onto the LT4.

We argue about a 10+ year old motor when some other motors have been around and are still being used today that have been used much longer.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Could say the same about the LS series motor, shits been around forever but now they have moved onto the LT4.

We argue about a 10+ year old motor when some other motors have been around and are still being used today that have been used much longer.
this is right, and the ls was/is a great motor. The overall design of the chevy v8 in the last 50 years has been on point.

I think your asking for to much, its just a 4 cylinder. I do enjoy this motor, but i am not used to a 4 cylinder that makes as much power as we do early and suffers up top.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Though it's obvious that opinions may vary from person to person of using the old EJ257 motor, I'm curious to why the new STIs are selling so well. I'm assuming that the MY2015 STIs are selling better than ever compared to the previous generations based from the articles and statistics of sales. Is it just a bunch of new owners? Are a lot of previous gen owners trading up because of the chassis/suspension/refinement improvements? For me, this is my first STI and i'm thoroughly enjoying the car, even in stock form, but since i'm new to the STI perhaps i haven't experienced the "headaches" of the EJ257 motor.

·
Registered
780 Posts

The LS received incremental improvements over the years. The EJ - not so much.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The Subaru Prominence 2020 plan says that Subaru is planning direct injection engines across their entire lineup from 2016 - 2020. This is still within the timeline laid out by Subaru, and they can't move fast enough to ditch the EJ.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
WRX/STI sales account for less than 8% of Subaru total sales. Combine that with the WRX/STI beating the competition within the same sports car category (Golf R etc.) and you have Subaru putting us in the back of the bus. Regardless of what everyone is saying on this forum about the EJ, they are not going to fix something that is not "broken". In time they will of course upgrade everything but I fully expect the 2018 STi to have the same engine.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
pure foolishness B and B. (again) That argument may have held water for the 2015 MY intro (when the EJ was only 11 years old) but it really doesnt hold water anymore. At what point do we embrace new tech and stop praising Subaru for giving us the "tried and true?" 13 years? 17 years? 20 years? Pretty much every aspect of the EJ can be improved upon =-turbo, fuel injection, headers, fuel delivery (not to mention piston design and materials) - all have undergone significant incremental upgrades in the decade-plus since the quirky little box was first stuffed into the STi engine bay and yet none have really made it into the engine that we get here in the US.

Maybe if Subaru throws us a little bone - bigger turbo and a tune for 350hp - and yeah a dual clutch tranny would be nice - I'd be more enthusistic. But if we get the same engine making the same 305/295 it is a HUGE dissapointment. And btw - last time I checked Subaru is very profitable. It is time to devote some resources to the engine to match the improvements made to the chassis last time around.
LMFAO>>>trying to say the EJ is outdated, when the fact is that it was SO far ahead of the competition the last 10 years that only now are there other turbo 4 bangers that have FINALLY caught up to the EJ...it's not the OTHER WAY AROUND LOL...LOL

Just look how the Souped up ECO boost 4 banger in the RS is barely edging the EJ with almost 50 more horsepower and 50 Ft lbs of torque...I mean really are you people asleep or something...people like you strain so hard to argue the EJ is outdated and then when it accelerates as fast as the latest tech super hyped ford RS Direct injected twin scroll, and beats it from 0-100, equals it from 0-60, equals and beats it in the 1/4 etc etc etc etc etc...and is within 2 MPG of the direct eco boost on a 200 mile road trip with more aggressive gearing in the STI to boot, and you try to argue that the EJ is outdated Muha hhhaaaa haaaa haaaa haaa:rofl:......BOY AM I FOOLISH!!!!! LOL LOL LOL.....all it needs is a dual clutch to put another 10 years on all these POSER rally cars comming out.....I AM OUTTA HERE!!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,514 Posts
If this gets into another one of your dry humping of the EJ motor soaps, I'm shutting it down and banning you for while. That said, the 4G63 already bested the EJ a long time ago, which is a fact. And and as far as the RS, there's more to it than the peak advertised numbers in a vehicles performance, and magazine bench racing is what I did back in my early teens.

LMFAO>>>trying to say the EJ is outdated, when the fact is that it was SO far ahead of the competition the last 10 years that only now are there other turbo 4 bangers that have FINALLY caught up to the EJ...it's not the OTHER WAY AROUND LOL...LOL

Just look how the Souped up ECO boost 4 banger in the RS is barely edging the EJ with almost 50 more horsepower and 50 Ft lbs of torque...I mean really are you people asleep or something...people like you strain so hard to argue the EJ is outdated and then when it accelerates as fast as the latest tech super hyped ford RS Direct injected twin scroll, and beats it from 0-100, equals it from 0-60, equals and beats it in the 1/4 etc etc etc etc etc...and is within 2 MPG of the direct eco boost on a 200 mile road trip with more aggressive gearing in the STI to boot, and you try to argue that the EJ is outdated Muha hhhaaaa haaaa haaaa haaa:rofl:......BOY AM I FOOLISH!!!!! LOL LOL LOL.....all it needs is a dual clutch to put another 10 years on all these POSER rally cars comming out.....I AM OUTTA HERE!!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am speaking as an outsider looking in. Short background: I realized I wanted AWD, a somewhat practical car, that had serious performance, 4 doors, did work all year round in the Midwest, and was fun. I understand Subie enthusiasts looking for significant improvement/changes, but we have to be realistic.

I would say the simple answer is we embrace new tech when it beats old tech at the same price point. Guess what? No one has done that. On paper everyone jumped on the RS bandwagon and it tied the STI running 91 with a RS biased author. The RS failed to beat the STI, period. The STI engine is old, everyone supposedly wants the new stuff. Guess what, new car buyers aren't too fond of adopting a brand new engine like forum fan boys are. I am looking for a new car and I don't want a new engine. I want the platform that is established and has a 3 year warranty. I can go to stage 1, stage 2, or stay stock and feel completely fine with several options.

Though it's obvious that opinions may vary from person to person of using the old EJ257 motor, I'm curious to why the new STIs are selling so well. I'm assuming that the MY2015 STIs are selling better than ever compared to the previous generations based from the articles and statistics of sales. Is it just a bunch of new owners? Are a lot of previous gen owners trading up because of the chassis/suspension/refinement improvements? For me, this is my first STI and i'm thoroughly enjoying the car, even in stock form, but since i'm new to the STI perhaps i haven't experienced the "headaches" of the EJ257 motor.
It is simple. Forum fanboys that literally have no intention of buying a new car complain. This provides the illusion that the STI is behind while it still leads the segment. The STI sells so well because it is proven and is the best in this segment. Golf R has a nice interior, doesn't match STI performance. EVO isn't made anymore. RS smoked STI on paper, now it ties it at best AND IS NOT PROVEN.

WRX/STI sales account for less than 8% of Subaru total sales. Combine that with the WRX/STI beating the competition within the same sports car category (Golf R etc.) and you have Subaru putting us in the back of the bus. Regardless of what everyone is saying on this forum about the EJ, they are not going to fix something that is not "broken". In time they will of course upgrade everything but I fully expect the 2018 STi to have the same engine.
I agree. I don't know about emission restrictions, but they won't get off the EJ until they need to. Probably MY2018 or MY2019.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Hmmmm. Pretty interesting. How people can rationalize almost anything. Like accepting NO Progress in straight line performance for the past ten years. None. In fact the 2004 sti C and D compared with the 2015 STi last year was actually the faster car. Yes the new on handles better and the interior is miles better. And those are good things. Now it's time to apply the same improvements to the engine bay. EVERY other manufacturer does this with their performance cars. From Ford and Chevy to porsche and Ferrari. It is time for a newer and more modern design. Yes the EJ was great and fun and quirky. But in this industry if you don't evolve you die. Doesn't have to be crazy new from the ground up but it does need to evolve. Those who think it doesn't are completey oblivious to how the industry works. Yes the STi is special but it won't be immune to market forces if it doesn't grow and keep pace with competitors (and the numbers on paper do matter) that are getting closer and closer.

thought I would copy the STi v STi article from C&D. performance is almost exactly the same for the two cars 2004 v 2015. 2004 faster to 130mph tho.

2015 Subaru WRX STI vs. 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi: Performance Data and Complete Specs

If Subaru would just give us something - keep the EJ, thats fine - but give us a bigger turbo, a stock downpipe and a fuel system capable of sustaining 350 hp from the factory, give it a warranty and BOOM - happiness.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hmmmm. Pretty interesting. How people can rationalize almost anything. Like accepting NO Progress in straight line performance for the past ten years. None. In fact the 2004 sti C and D compared with the 2015 STi last year was actually the faster car. Yes the new on handles better and the interior is miles better. And those are good things. Now it's time to apply the same improvements to the engine bay. EVERY other manufacturer does this with their performance cars. From Ford and Chevy to porsche and Ferrari. It is time for a newer and more modern design. Yes the EJ was great and fun and quirky. But in this industry if you don't evolve you die. Doesn't have to be crazy new from the ground up but it does need to evolve. Those who think it doesn't are completey oblivious to how the industry works. Yes the STi is special but it won't be immune to market forces if it doesn't grow and keep pace with competitors (and the numbers on paper do matter) that are getting closer and closer.

thought I would copy the STi v STi article from C&D. performance is almost exactly the same for the two cars 2004 v 2015. 2004 faster to 130mph tho.

2015 Subaru WRX STI vs. 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi: Performance Data and Complete Specs

If Subaru would just give us something - keep the EJ, thats fine - but give us a bigger turbo, a stock downpipe and a fuel system capable of sustaining 350 hp from the factory, give it a warranty and BOOM - happiness.

Regardless of all of the hemming and hawing they're still moving quite a few of these cars. I can understand them taking their time on rolling out new motors with these cars if they're still selling them. Understandably they have a timeline and I'm sure within the next few years there will obviously be a new engine. I do agree though that it would be nice if they gave the car a bump in power at the factory with upgraded parts instead of a new motor, but I don't think it would meet the already suffocating EPA ratings in place for the EJ. If anything they just need to get rid of the surplus of EJ motors that they had hanging around for possible warranty replacements

·
Registered
85 Posts
The lt series was actually around longer... its just not iron block anymore and been re engineered

this is right, and the ls was/is a great motor. The overall design of the chevy v8 in the last 50 years has been on point.

I think your asking for to much, its just a 4 cylinder. I do enjoy this motor, but i am not used to a 4 cylinder that makes as much power as we do early and suffers up top.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts