IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, On thursday my wife took my car to work in the afternoon so I could change the oil in her blazer, and as she left the house and pulled onto The Street a police officer in a crown vic gets up behind her and proceeds to follow her all the way down the hill, onto the 5 north, to the 52 east and does not get off her ass until she exits the 52 at the Clairemont Meaa/15 Offramp. She drove 65mph the entire way and he was rigtht on her talking on his radio the whole time. She said people on the fwy were flying past them and still the cop did not give her a break. He followed her for over 12 miles...

WTH is up with that?

Now for the question. How many Socal Guys are running without Front plates? Do you ever get hasseld just for that? I hate the look of the front plate on this car. I have run other cars in the past with no front plates and never had any trouble... but after my wifes story i don't think I want to give the police any excuse at all to waste my time with a fix it ticket...

·
Registered
449 Posts
i've been pulled over for not having front plates. it's for all those photo thingies at intersections that they require you to have front plates.

·
I'm Jim Halpert
8,245 Posts
WOW pretty much exactly the same thing happened to me before except not on the freeway. a cop followed me on my way home on surface streets for like 20 min. i had to drive slow as hell and he only left when i pulled into my driveway

·
Registered
606 Posts
I think I would have called 911 and reported the incident. That is creppy. I can't think of a good reason why an officer would need to follow someone for 12 miles! He/she should be reported.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Every time I spot a cop behind me, will go uncomfortably slow for them. If they are just crusing at 5 over, I will still keep to my usual 10 over. I could care less if they pull me for 10 over, it's almost not worth anyone's time. How often do you see cops actually doing the speed limit? What about driving like idiots and not just speeding, why don't they look for that more? Better yet, I don't want to see them out there until rape/murder/robbery rates are nominal.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Wanna talk about harassment... I just got an exhaust ticket and the cop told me to put my silencer on bring it in and get the ticket signed off. Cops use these things to find a good reason to pull you over. Now with the 27150 (a) they always have probable cause. Then he got under my hood asked me about all my mods... Looking for a reason to impound my car. I was doing 35mph in a 45.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
osbjmg said:
What about driving like idiots and not just speeding, why don't they look for that more? Better yet, I don't want to see them out there until rape/murder/robbery rates are nominal.
EXACTLY!

+100 Ditto

·
Registered
490 Posts
Klurejr said:
So, On thursday my wife took my car to work in the afternoon so I could change the oil in her blazer, and as she left the house and pulled onto The Street a police officer in a crown vic gets up behind her and proceeds to follow her all the way down the hill, onto the 5 north, to the 52 east and does not get off her ass until she exits the 52 at the Clairemont Meaa/15 Offramp. She drove 65mph the entire way and he was rigtht on her talking on his radio the whole time. She said people on the fwy were flying past them and still the cop did not give her a break. He followed her for over 12 miles...

WTH is up with that?

Now for the question. How many Socal Guys are running without Front plates? Do you ever get hasseld just for that? I hate the look of the front plate on this car. I have run other cars in the past with no front plates and never had any trouble... but after my wifes story i don't think I want to give the police any excuse at all to waste my time with a fix it ticket...
He was likely running your plates to see if you had any outstanding warrents, if the car was reported stolen, general record of the registered owner, etc... It's pretty common practice. I've heard them on my scanner before when they've been following me and running my plates.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
boataholic said:
Wanna talk about harassment... I just got an exhaust ticket and the cop told me to put my silencer on bring it in and get the ticket signed off. Cops use these things to find a good reason to pull you over. Now with the 27150 (a) they always have probable cause. Then he got under my hood asked me about all my mods... Looking for a reason to impound my car. I was doing 35mph in a 45.
ummm.. he cant get under your hood w/o a warrant.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm sure he would have impounded me if I wouldn't have given him permission. Then comes the warrant.

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
boataholic said:
be glad. when i got pulled over for my exhaust in my rsx. he told me to completely change it out to the stock one. any modification to ur car is illegal, they could pull u over for weird looking lights if they wanted to

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I read a few posts sorry... but ill add this if it hasnt been added. Around the sacramento area, i saw on the news. People are getting a hold of police things, as in cloths the car everything. And they are/have pulled over people and killed them. They even said theres been a few fake firefighters as well... so if a cop is following you for a little to long, call it in. From now on if a pig throws his lights on behind me ima call it in first then pull over once its safe. If you cant call it in then just pul over in a spot where there are a lot of cars and stuff. Be carefull people... **** is serious...

·
IWSTI Club Level 11ty
5,687 Posts
Singletrack said:
hahaha - he sure can in nazifornia.

i don't know how true this is, but back on topic:

I would explain to your wife that unless there are blue lights flashing, you don't pull over. even at that point, if she is suspicious she should call 911 and explain the scenario, and get another unit to dispatch. that way if it is indeed a cop, she wont get in trouble for evading. i have heard quite a few reports of cop impersonation around the country. especially victomizing women drivers. if it was just him yelling on a loudspeaker, i would be VERY suspicious.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Singletrack said:
hahaha - he sure can in nazifornia.
Yeah, a guy in SD just had to a few weeks ago.. lucky for him the cop knew jack about cars....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Two nights ago, I stopped at one of their random sobriety checks and the cop harrassed me about not having a front plate, gave me a ticket for tint and my "modified" exhaust. When I urged him to look closer at my exhaust to where it said "STI" on my STOCK muffler, he just asked my age and then told me to shutup... Cops are @ssh0les, especially to us young folk.

·
Registered
134 Posts
don't even get me going on this subject. I have never run a front license plate on any of the cars i have owned. it looks stupid. i did get a ticket for just that on a 42 inch tire, excursion. that was all. had it signed off drove down the street and snipped off the zip ties. imature... may be, but its frickin ugly. as for cops... well, as the story goes. they were the kids in high school that got picked on or were never noticed. and now being a cop is a way they can get back at society. i'm just talking about the ones who get off on writing fix-it tickets and sleeping with thier code book! good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
The Black Pearl said:
well, as the story goes. they were the kids in high school that got picked on or were never noticed. and now being a cop is a way they can get back at society. i'm just talking about the ones who get off on writing fix-it tickets and sleeping with thier code book! good luck!!!
harold and kumar FTW!!!

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
520hpSTi said:
ummm.. he cant get under your hood w/o a warrant.
You missed the whole statute about probable cause. If they have probable cause they don't need a warrant.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts