IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I received my STi mudflaps in the mail today and know the instructions will be in Japanese (as were my sill plates and pedal covers) but I'm a little worried about drilling all around my wheelwell sans instructions. I was wondering if there was anyone here who has installed these before and can tell me if there's anything that I SHOULDN'T do or any steps I NEED to take that may elude me. Just wanted a little bit of guidance before embarking on this tonight. Hoping some kind member(s) can give me a helping hand! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I should be getting mine any day now, they were shipped UPS yesterday. I was wondering if the instructions are in japanese. Hmmm, should be interesting. I did not think any drilling was needed with these. I know there are holes around the rear wheel well and the I thought you just reuse the same holes on the front.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew I'd hear from either you or CloneGTS! Thx for responding MKIV. Where'd you find yours BTW? I had ordered a set from Sigma but got a message telling me they were no longer available in black, only red or blue (um....YUCK?) and then had to spend a good amt of time Googling in order to find some in stock. I seem to remember reading that drilling IS required (may be wrong, that's why I'm here) and just wanted to edumacate myself as well as possible before starting. Anybody else know anything about these flaps??

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Which flaps did you get?

I was pretty sure the holes were in place for the large STi flaps...the gravel rally looking ones. Are those the ones you guys bought?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the....um......ridiculously expensive ones! They're not the SWRT blue ones with the yellow logo. These were offered in red, yellow, black, blue and white. They say "STi" on them and I saw them for sale for anywhere from $378 on up. I think those are the same ones you're talking about Rob....but here's a link I'm hoping will work:
http://www.grahamgoode.com/cgi-bin/page.pl?car=subaru&page=sills.htm

You'll see them about 1/2way down the page - there's a picture with the red ones on top - those are them!

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
$275 for mud flaps!! Well, to each his own. I know I have spent good money on stuff you guys would probably laugh at too.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's worse than that Gforced! That's in pounds, or Euros, or whatever they're now called over in the UK. True - it's crazily pricey - but makes me feel better about driving over my gravel driveway in my black car every day! (I'm also hoping it will eliminate 90% of the spray I get from the wheels after going thru puddles, etc.)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Yup, those were the ones I was thinking.

Damn....no way I'd be spending that much on something that gets water/mud/dirt/rocks thrown at em all day! Did you consider making your own using that pattern found on NASIOC?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn - now I feel foolish! Yeah Rob - I thought about it, but in the end wanted a more "finished" look to them. So are you thinking the holes are there and WILL line up?

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Those are the ones. I got them from Sigma also, blue STi ones. I still don't know if I will like them but getting rocks/mud/dirt/etc thrown at them is better then up the side of my $30K car. I thought about making my own too but getting the material, cutting it right, and then making some mounting brackes, I guess I am just too lazy and would rather have a finished look also. I thought long and hard about this and looked all over for alternatives but after a couple times spending a few hours detailing my car just to drive to work the next day and get mud splattered all up the sides made me order them. It sux but in order for them to really be effective they need to be kind of big. I don't know, I might put them on and decide to take them right off.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for semi-validating my purchase MKIV! (made me feel a little bit better about the gobs of $ I've spent on the car and that's AFTER dropping 30k+) I'm gonna work on it tonight and will let you guys know how it goes tomorrow.....thx all.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright - by the time I got home it was a little after 7:15 and I had approx. 1hr of daylight to try getting these on. Then it started raining. I still tried. You need to take each of the wheels off in order to get access to the areas you need to screw. I attempted the fronts first. Let me say though, as expensive as these flaps are, they are NICE. REALLY nice. I was quite pleased with the quality of them. They come with metal (aluminum?) brackets that mount to the top of the flaps for rigidity - there was some serious thought put into these things. However, they are also LOW. They leave approx. 1.5" of ground clearance on the fronts once they're installed.
So after removing the front wheel I started. The screws on the outside edge of the plastic trim (there are 3 of them) need to come out. The top and bottom screw will be replaced by hardware that come with the flaps. There are two plastic clips you need to attach to the sheet metal so that the bolts have something to screw into. This part was easy. I encountered a problem on the next step however. The flaps sorta curve into the wheelwell, providing better protection from spray going under the car. This is somewhat hard to describe but I'll do my best. If you follow the lowermost screw on the plastic molding approx. 1' into the wheelwell (just keep it level) you will see where the last two screws need to go. There are no holes. I was a little apprehensive to say the least, but tried. There is a greasy coating all over the inside of the wheelwell (is this Cosmoline?) that makes getting a screw started nearly impossible + the angle is very unfriendly. (your arm is resting on the brake caliper) I ended up leaving those screws out pending some advice (can anyone tell me if it's o.k. to screw into this? I was worried about rust).
So the fronts are on.....albeit not exactly attached as they should be. The rears seem much more straightforward - all the holes are already there and should just be a few mins. of turning a screwdriver. I believe I'm going to have a bodyshop take a look at the area in the wheelwell where I'm afraid to screw and see what they have to say. Hope this helps and am looking forward to MKIV's comments once you get yours and see what I'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Yup great write up. I know what you mean about how the front flaps wrap around. I was supprised to see that, talk about good protection. So you are saying those last screws you left out will need a hole drilled for them? The fronts sound like a pain especially if you have to remove the wheels. I had a feeling I was going to have to take the wheels off for the fronts. Do I have to remove the rear wheels also? I will have to make sure I set enough time aside. At least I know so I don't try it thinking it will only take a few minutes. I just tracked my package and it looks like I wont get mine till Monday. Which is fine I guess sine my goal this weekend is a wash and wax since my car is sooo dirty. I have not washed it in a few weeks other than a quick rinse last weekend. Too much rain here lately. I am also hoping I can finally get my scoop screen painted and installed.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey MKIV - yeah, unfortunately ALL 4 wheels need to come off for the install. It's not at all a job that'll take just a few mins. (I thought the same thing - no such luck) And yeah - they provide FANTASTIC protection....again, they're REALLY, REALLY nice. I know that kinda cash outlay for mudflaps is insane, but if flaps were ever worth that much coin, these are them. And yes, on each front flap the part that goes "into" the wheelwell need TWO screws drilled into the wheelwell recess for complete installation. I sort of "rigged" it by attaching the two screws that go into the molding (the easy part) and then used another hole that lines up with the edge of the molding to secure them. (they do need those 2 screws to be comfortably held in place though - I won't be leaving them like this for very long). The rears seem a much easier job than the fronts. I will let you know what the body shop has to say about getting those last two screws put in when I have a chance to get up there. Thx for the positive feedback on the write-up too guys - appreciated.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
StuBrown - Post some pics! Too bad it looks like you didn't take pics of the installation process, but that's cool...would like to see how they look

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey SnowBrdrWRX - it's funny - I have a digital camera and Internet access (at work) but am technically challenged enough to where I don't know how to put the two together! They look VERY nice....I hesitate to say it...but almost nice enough to warrant the outlandish cost! I'm going to have to get some pics up as I think my ride is looking very sweet w/the work I've done thus far (although I've always thought it was beautiful). Sill plates, scoop screen (so easy but so rewarding with the result), HVAC and key ring color change mod, titanium shifter, tints, clearbra (tomorrow), mudflaps, pedal covers. I'm having my system installed in approx. 1month and will get some photos once that's done.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thx Clone - you've motivated me! I will see what I can manage once it's clean (it just won't stop raining in CT) and will let you know. I appreciate the offer and would love to hear some feedback. Oh yeah, I'm thinking of tackling the "Clear those headlights" mod too....but it has me a little scared TBH. :-?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
O.K. - for all those who care.....I just went to the body shop and showed them what I was up against. Apparently the area in the wheelwell I'm supposed to drill into is the beginning of the floorbaords (where they begin to slant down and start the floor) and the shop owner recommended AGAINST it. He said it's already coated for protection and that I'd just be inviting problems (i.e. rust). He advised that I make a straight cut down the fold/seam (this "line" will be apparent to those who have already ordered the flaps when they get them) and just use the 3 screws I've already installed. FWIW he said "Wow - those are nice" when he saw the mudflaps too! MKIV - if you have any problems when you go to put your fronts on (the backs seem very simple in comparison) PM me and I will give you a phone # so I can walk you through the placement of the 3rd screw. Not very difficult but I'm at a loss for how to describe it unless you're under there w/the wheel off and I'm looking at mine.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts