IW STi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BBS Wheels

I've read through the many, many posts in this category, regarding recommended audio systems, but am still unclear as to a good choice. Let me explain my situation, and hopefully a knowledgable member or two will provide good recommendations.

Over concern about compatability/fit of various recommended HU's and speakers, I initially thought of going with the Subaru stock upgraded speakers, subwoofer, amp, and HU (w/ 6-disc changer). This is the same system I have in my '02 WRX and I've been satisfied with it. However, in talking to my salesman yesterday (my STi is to be delivered "any day now"), he said I would probably get a better price by having something after market installed. For example, the upgraded speakers, subwoofer, and amp will cost $435. Add the HU with 6-disc changer and that will be another $700-$800, NOT including installation. Basically, it would cost me at least $1300 for the Subaru system.

Here are my questions for recommendations: what HU's do you recommend specifically (most have said Alpine--which one?)? Also, what speakers do you recommend? Third, what remote CD changer do you recommend? Finally, out of these recommendations, would they be easily installed by a place such as Best Buy? I live in Northern Virginia, about 30 miles south of DC, and do not know of a good, reliable store that installs audio systems. I'm not looking for a mobile "boom box" type of set-up, pretty pictures on a HU, etc., just a configuration that will produce good, crisp sound and some bass, with a remote CD changer. Satellite radio would be nice, too, but I"m not sure how that fits into the mix.

I apologize if my questions are redundant within this forum. I am looking for specific recommendations on a system that will fit my STi, as opposed to showing up at Best Buy (or wherever I have my system installed) and being told my components won't fit. Also, if anyone reading this lives in Northern Virginia and can recommend a decent place to have my system installed, please let me know.

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Re: STi vs 350Z

Well as far as components it all depends on how much you are willing to spend. Honestly, if you are happy with you stock WRX steup, I would go with that. You could easily find it cheaper online than going through your dealer and unless you are a total clutz, you should be able to install it all yourself saving more money.

·
Registered
376 Posts
kenwood hu are nice, i'll post some pics of mine, it's a silver trim, with blue on the inside, so it matches the seats and the plastic trim around my deck....also 64 different colors display option, i picked red to match my guages....looks smooooth. i like the alpines, BUT with the kenwoods, the sound imo sounds better, i say this because you can adjust the mid with the kenwood (not sure with the alpines) but yeah you should go to car toys, and bring a cd with you to test out decks...but for me i wanted to go with alpine because it was so smooth, but after listening to the kenwoods....i had to go with the kenwood....
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product_type.jsp?productTypeId=20

KDC-X569 or go with the kdcmpv6022
300 dollar hu, but with ebay got mine for 125

·
Registered
949 Posts
i am choosing between 2 setups
alpine 9815 h.u. or premier 940mp
alpine type r components up front, and 5 1/4 in the rear or
mb quarts.
with the quarts, the installer said i can most likely get 6 1/2's in the rear door and have less problems fitting the 6 1/2 components up front, due to the difference in mounting depth between the 2.
he had previously done alpine speakers in a different sti and said the alpines require more work.
after listening to both i like the sound quality of the quarts over the loudness of the type r's

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
I'm going with the Premier 940MP I currently have, and another set of Diamond Audio M661 components for the front doors. Shallow enough mounting depth, and EXCELLENT sound for the money. The head unit has AutoEQ which does an amazing job of adjusting equalizer settings for your cabin's acoustics . . . automatically! Once I did that, I was 100% sold on the higher-end Pioneer decks.

You could get a 5-channel Kenwood Excelon amplifier and a decent subwoofer in a small enclosure. I would also recommend Diamond Audio for the subwoofer, but they're quite power-hungry as a result of the exceptional bass response and accuracy inherent to their design. So if you go with a single 10" (which I would recommend) you may have to opt for one of the Diamond amps to sufficiently power it. Like the M5 600.1 for around $600 . . (less on the internet) The Diamond Audio 4-channel 600.4 (which I have) is exceptional for powering the front components and any rears you have installed.

This is pretty much the setup I'll be having installed toward the end of October. Only difference is I'll be using my 1200.1 amplifier for the sub(s) . . . either a single 12" M5 sub, or both of them. Then I'll just sell the box they're in now and have a new one built out of fiberglass to save on weight. :D

As you may have guessed, I'm a big fan of Diamond Audio. I've listened to LOTS of products, owned many as well. Thought they're a little pricey . . . if you're looking for sound QUALITY, you simply cannot go wrong with their lineup of products. (No, I do not work for them or any car audio establishment.) I know quality when I see (hear) it, and it's definitely there.

If you'd like more information on my exact system makeup, PM me and I'll give you the details.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Here is my Dad's setup, it should be right around your budget, more or less depending on the shop you get it installed at:

Alpine 9813 HU
Alpine XM Tuner
Boston RM6 "2-way component" Set (Front Speakers)
Boston NX57 Rear Coaxials
Dynamat Xtreme Door Kit for the Front

For the price it really, really sounds awesome. :):) 110% better than even the Subaru "premium" stuff. You can tell a difference between his and mine, but the cost difference is as big as the difference in sound.

My System, just for comparo:

Alpine 9815 HU
Alpine XM tuner
Alpine MRV-F450 5 Channel Amp
Boston Z6 Premium Component Speakers
Boston NX57 Rear Speakers
Boston Competitor Sub with enclosure
Dynamat Xtreme in all doors and back of trunk lid

·
Registered
282 Posts
There's been a bunch of talk about CDT's speakers. You can get their entry level CL series 6.5 inch components combined with thier CL-5x coax for the back for 200 shipped to your house from www.thezeb.com

For a deck, it's up to your budget. Alpine makes quality decks, but I wanted something a little flashier so I bought the Pioneer Premier 940 MP (costs around 550-600). The Alpine 9815 sounds more up your alley and it costs around 360-400.

Amps are where I had the hardest time. I was looking at everything from US Acoustics to Zapco Comps/Phoenix Gold Ti/Arc Audio. I had read about Avionixx amps and people were saying for less than 400, you couldn't find a better amp. So I bought 2 (1 for the fronts, and 1 for my sub... my rears will be powered from the deck). So both of the amps cost me 370 plus shipping.

I don't really know what kind of music you listen too, but Elemental Design makes some nice subs that fit my bill (not needing 1k watts of power, smaller enclosure, lighter weight). I Gold Ti's/Arc Audio. I was reading a great deal about the Avionixx line of amplifiers. People were saying for less than 400 bucks, you couldn't ordered an e10o but you could get away with an e10k if you'd like.

So depending on the deck and sub you pick, you're looking at 1100. This should sound much better than the factory system. Add to this the price of a sub box and install, and it's going to be around 1400 or so. If you leave the sub out, you'll save quite a bit and you can always add a sub later down the road.

Mine is getting installed next weekend, can't wait. I got some Brown Bread too, so it should sound nice. I'll let everybody know how it goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts