IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
man, Jiffy Lube is for your beater. you should never take a nice car to a place like that. i've heard horror stories about those places. i'm sure other members of this forum have stories of thier own. i just remember my sister took her Honda there. there was a guy there with a new Jeep. the guy tells the tech to just change the oil and NOT to touch anything else. well, the tech comes back and tells him he needs his tires rotated. the owner of the Jeep just looks at him and with a hint of anger and tells the tech that the tires in need of rotating were just put on brand new yesterday. if you spent the money to buy an STi have your oil changed at the dealer or do it yourself. Jiffy lube is for suckers.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sabre,
Do it yourself or drive up to Baltimore and I'll do it for you. Don't go to Jiffy Lube(or any of the other "quickie lube" joints). I've heard of them leaving off the oil filler cap(happened to my friend) and oil spattered all over the inside of the engine bay, leaving off the drain plug(just guess what happened then!) and of course the usual harassing, "you're car is due for this....you're car needs this" stuff that will turn you $19.95 oil change into a $100+ adventure.
Scott
JBP/Gold

·
Registered
270 Posts
i have never had a prob w/ jiffy lube except i keep getting those things in the mail that say "your due for a change" i let them change the oil in my STi but i watched them like a hawk, i guess it also helps if a buddy from high school just happens to work there.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can see your guys point. Sometimes, the dealerships are just not handy though :( Don't worry, I'd watch them like no tomorrow if they change the oil ;) I've heard those stories about the 100$ oil changes.... rediculous. Basically them taking customers for all they are worth.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Re: Hmm

Twice I've had oil pan threads stripped from jiffy lube type places and once they dented an oil pan right at the bolt, creating a permanent leak for which the cure was to replace the oil pan. They have never put in the correct amount of oil for me, always overfilling by at least 1/2 qt.

Not the kind of treatment you want for your STi.

As for watching them like no tomorrow, unless they let you get in the pit with them, or let you personally fill the oil yourself, they can still damage the pan or overfill the oil. You'll never know until later.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
RadarOnPaws said:
Twice I've had oil pan threads stripped from jiffy lube type places and once they dented an oil pan right at the bolt, creating a permanent leak for which the cure was to replace the oil pan. They have never put in the correct amount of oil for me, always overfilling by at least 1/2 qt.

Not the kind of treatment you want for your STi.

As for watching them like no tomorrow, unless they let you get in the pit with them, or let you personally fill the oil yourself, they can still damage the pan or overfill the oil. You'll never know until later.
My thoughts exactly. I have my mechanic do it, as he charges me $10 (I supply oil/filter) and I sit there and watch/help him and he cna jump it up on a lift and change the oil in 10minutes flat. Much better then having billy bob go to work at it. Especially when their kids want to help their dad and they bang the crap outta your car and such (experience had, when i had the supra)....

Robert~

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ditto on above...change it yourself and you'll gain an appreciation of the undersides of the Beast !
Next issues will be synthetic or dino and frequency. There is lots written on those topics.
Personal preference is Mobil 1 (Subi 080 filter) and 4000 miles...after first scheduled oil change...just a precaution. Lots of arguments on exotic oils and long waits. .my system takes care of the engine and maintains the warantee with an eye on the pocketbook.
I must admit that I like feeding her.

·
Registered
114 Posts
When I bought my STI, I got free oil changes for life from the dealer. If I want synthetic, I just have to pay the difference in the cost the oil.

·
Registered
39 Posts
BOTTOM LINE.

Change it yourself. If you don't know how, shame-shame on you!

LEARN from someone that has some basic automotive knowledge. I change it every 3000 mi, but every 9000 I do a double oil change, which means that I ...

1) Drain the old oil, and replace plug
2) Fill back up with clean oil
3) Start the car up and run for a minute
4) Drain oil and filter.
5) Install new filter and add new oil again.

This way takes twice the oil, but your motor will have the cleanest oil possible.
No Jiffy lube will not give you this type of service, plus when you do it yourself, you know the job is done correctly. It's called peace of mind.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I change the oil in all my other vehicles, I grew up with farm equipment so I know how to service just about anything. Subaru gave me free oil change for life when I bought the car, so I just take advantage of it.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
jeffsti said:
BOTTOM LINE.

Change it yourself. If you don't know how, shame-shame on you!

LEARN from someone that has some basic automotive knowledge. I change it every 3000 mi, but every 9000 I do a double oil change, which means that I ...

1) Drain the old oil, and replace plug
2) Fill back up with clean oil
3) Start the car up and run for a minute
4) Drain oil and filter.
5) Install new filter and add new oil again.

This way takes twice the oil, but your motor will have the cleanest oil possible.
No Jiffy lube will not give you this type of service, plus when you do it yourself, you know the job is done correctly. It's called peace of mind.

You can get some like.... stp oil system cleaner that's meant to flush the oil system kinda like this. Its probably better your way, but wastes a lot more oil.

·
Registered
26 Posts
voodoo myths and voodoo mechanics are all I see in here.....

btw if you wanted 2 oil changes at my shop, sure I'd do it, you are gonna pay for it, but we'd do it.

also how do you know whether your filter is in bypass or not with your method?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
norcal_puller said:
voodoo myths and voodoo mechanics are all I see in here.....
Not sure what you mean by voodoo myths, but the things I say happened at Jiffy Lube/Oil Can Henry's/Penzoil, etc, really did happen. If you choose to disbelieve that these places routinely screw stuff up, that's your problem. Over several years and cars, every time I broke my rule and took it in "just this once", something happened. I never went to the same place twice and I literally never came away without either too much oil, some form of oil pan or thread damage, or both.

What can I say? Those places suck. Primarily because most low paid workers in any industry don't give a crap, and customer service has gone the way of the dodo.

·
Registered
949 Posts
my 95 bronco goes to jiffy lube or similair for oil changes.
unfortunately i just had jiffy screw change my serpentine belt as it really needed it, and now i have some funky noises under the hood!

the sti goes to the dealer for sure. $19.95 oil changes, $9.95 tire rotation, & mobil1 synthetic available when i'm ready! all much cheaper than jiffy lube, and i know they use the sti specific filter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey radar what I mean is: there are good quick lube facilities, look for ones that are aoca certified and talk to the manager, dude I garantee they will make sure you are dialed in, dont you guys understand that if you treat your service techs like good people they wont screw ya. If I get someone that is way particular, but not mental we always go out of our way to honor their requests.. I value our customers business and so do 3/4 of the other shops in town. You get more with honey............lol just feel the techs out when they are slow sometime, find a place and go to it....... now as for the dealers, do you really think you get a flat rate mechanic to change your oil on your car. I can tell you that all the flat rate techs I know would not be caught dead changing oil on a routine service, there is NO money in it for them. Shoot why change oil when you could make 2-3 hours flat rate per hour on line work?

as for the 95 bronco check for tension"the right" way on the tensioner and really feel out the ps pump. fomoco's ps pumps are not ranked very highly in my book, they always whine or howl. If the tensioner is never been replaced then it is prolly weak they dont last forever and they are only like 20 bucks

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
norcal_puller said:
dude I garantee they will make sure you are dialed in, dont you guys understand that if you treat your service techs like good people they wont screw ya
I always treat everyone I do business with "like good people" until proven otherwise. What do I have to do, bring donuts and coffee for everyone? I'm telling you it doesn't (nor should it) matter how you behave when you go to these places, it's lack of concern and competence that I've seen almost every time I've been to one. I'm not saying anyone is being malicious. I'm sure they think they are doing a great job. They just don't care about other people's stuff, and that's an attitude that's pervasive in our society so it's not a huge surprise.

Besides, when you are getting paid to do a job, you should do it right, regardless of who the customer is and what you think they act like. The motivation is the money the business is making, that's what businesses are all about. Reminds all the people I work with who want free goodies and other junk from work to "motivate" them. I thought that's what their paychecks were for, especially considering how much some of them get paid to do so little. Well, I've never been a jerk to anyone at any of these oil change places, but they shouldn't need me to be their buddy to do a great job either.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Need a driving school recommendation...

you will never get how the service industry works

go have the flat rate ase master tech change your oil at the dealer lol

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
norcal_puller said:
you will never get how the service industry works

go have the flat rate ase master tech change your oil at the dealer lol
How it works? I give you money and you do the freaking job right the first time because that's what you are paid to do, that's how it is supposed to work. :roll: I worked service jobs for YEARS and I ALWAYS did the job right regardless because that's what i was paid for. It wasn't my place nor my right not to care just because my perception was the customer deserved it (and perceptions are usually wrong, especially if it is some kid who hates his job and is lazy to begin with trying to decide if the customer "deserves" professional treatment or not).

Part of being a professional is taking pride in your work and doing it right, time after time after time. Any other attitude is not acceptable. Regardless of how the customer "acts" or "looks".

If your customers have to be or act a certain way to guarantee not getting screwed over or just not have their car treated with incompetence or lack of attention to detail, then I pity your customers. The whole lack of concern for doing a job right when you put your name on it is the reason a lot of us here have spoken out about going to these hell-holes in the first place.

And no, I don't pay anyone to change my oil. Some of us still remember how to do it ourselves without overtorquing the oil pan drain plug and overfilling the oil. :roll:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts