IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do boxer engines have greater wear on the pistons and cylinder walls as oposed to say an inline motor because the pistone lies in its side?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
add-ons

I don't think it would matter either way. I would think however that boxer engines may be more efficient by design. One thing is for certain- with the lower center of gravity you get a LITTLE BIT better handling and less roll-over risk.

·
Registered
199 Posts
subaru had some problems with piston slap in the EJ-25 back in the late 90s, but they fixed the problem pretty quickly. i haven't heard about any unusual wear due to configuration.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Great News...for me.

pistons are actually oval too. that reduces wear and friction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone know the rod length? The rod ratio, or the length of the rod divided by the stroke, greatly effects cylinder wall sideloading, and thus wear. Longer rod ratios are usually considered better. They also have effects on the VE of the motor, as different rod ratios have slightly different pistons positions at some crank angles (anything but TDC and BDC really).

·
Registered
307 Posts
Grant said:
Anyone know the rod length? The rod ratio, or the length of the rod divided by the stroke, greatly effects cylinder wall sideloading, and thus wear. Longer rod ratios are usually considered better. They also have effects on the VE of the motor, as different rod ratios have slightly different pistons positions at some crank angles (anything but TDC and BDC really).
porche seems to like this cofiguration, :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts