IW STi Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
damn, that sucks, but as you said, it was on borrowed time. The saying 'gotta pay to play' definitely holds true here. These cars have great potential but they are very particular.

The only thing I can say about Lachute is that they have less engines going out than, say, IAG or topspeed, so less consumer feedback in terms of build quality/longevity. I would be interested to hear from any owners who have had engine failures on motors they have purchased from these various companies, in order to see how they stack up against each other in terms of defects per total amount of engines out there).

I'm not a huge fan of LaChute because I know that they are charging more than they should just because they CAN, and I know a few forum members here personally that go there for various work and it's too pricey for what it is. Wether they do good work or not is debatable, and I can't say from personal experience, only from what I have seen from these forum members' rides, and so I will refrain from commenting.

I look forward to your review of the new motor, and updates on how it is running throughout the car's life cycle. I know STI_Addict is also running an engine asembled by then and as far as I know, it is still running strong, despite all the other stuff that happened between Marc and the shop.

when does the new motor go in? Also curious how much the new block cost with shipping, etc if you don't mind sharing (Or through PM), but if you don't feel like sharing no worries.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
I drove Julien's own LP400 for about an hr the day I was there (couple weeks ago). It has their AK2 in it, and the motor was stock quiet, maybe even quieter.

My last Subydude had a Topspeed block in it. It worked fine, but was always waaaay louder then stock (despite Cicio saying that with the coated CPs it wouldn't be). Heck, Topspeed only covered half of the block that THEIR shipping company dropped. So I kinda have a sour taste in my mouth when it comes to TopSpeed. . (Paying for a block and a half and shipping twice sucks huge, not to mention the three week delay)

I think Lachute actually does a lot of blocks locally. They do lots of cars right off the lot. Which actually makes sense. Buy the car, take it in and build the motor right away. Then there is no other damage, and they can use your OEM block and crank. (I could used my old block and crank too, but then there are more delays and more shipping). Heck, they even provide a warrantee on their blocks when they do it with the other work.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
As far as costs go, I will just say this.

Since I am in Canada but out of province I only pay one tax. So if I compare this block with a comparable Rallispec block, and the small deal that I got, it was cheaper going through Lachute. The U.S.-CAD exchange is killer right now.

Total taxes in, shipped from Rallispec including a bit if a deal and free shipping would be $5642 CAD

From Lachute it was cheaper, and that included shipping of a new clutch/PP and flywheel.

·
Premium Member
5,424 Posts
"Lachute story"

^^^I'm still angry over this.
Perhaps you know more of the truth, I read a lot of the links. and from them all I could think was that there was a lot of unbelievable crazy stuff related in them. I'm not willing to take it as gospel.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I posted this in vendor reviews, but no one seemed to notice:

My dealer put in my last built block in my old LGT (TopSpeed block) and I had no issues. So I choose to use them again. Mistake #1.

After taking forever to finally get my car back together (6+ weeks) I was there for the initial start-up. Built oil pressure first, check, then fuel pressure, check, then started up. Worked great, block was quieter then stock! Great, I am feeling pretty good. After it was warmed up (revving it at 2000 rpm) I asked the tech to rev it a bit. Sounded good, no exhaust leaks, etc.....

Revved it once more, then knock knock knock.:( My stomach sunk. Sounded like rod knock. We did everything we could think of to try and diagnose the issue, but it was getting late.

Next day the tech says there was a tensioner that seemed bad (even though they already replaced it). So they put another one on. Problem still there. Took an oil sample to send for analysis.

Tech pulled the pan, and said he was pretty sure he could see gold fleck in the pan (this is unconfirmed).

The whole time I was in discussions with Julien (at Lachute). He said there was no way that on a blueprinted motor there would be rod knock, said they have never seen that. The consensus at the dealership was that it was rod-knock (it did sound like it).

Julien said he would pay to get it shipped back to Quebec ($200) and then go from there.

Block ships out on Fri, Wed am he e-mails and says they have it, wed pm he texts me, can you get pics on your phone?

Here are the pics I get:

What happened? Well, that little piece of steel, is piston ring! Where on earth would that have come from? The only logical explanation is that when my piston cracked, that piece of piston ring (from the old block) went up into the intake manifold. Then when the motor started up, all was fine........... Until it got revved a bit and upped the airflow, then it got sucked in.

I asked the tech that put my car back together, and no, he did not take my intake manifold off the TGV deletes, he just blow it out.:tdown:

Want further proof of where that piston ring came from? Here is a pic that someone at the dealership texted me, you can clearly see the cracked piston from the old block, but also a piece of missing piston ring!!!

In further talks with Julien, he said they have actually seen this twice before where parts of the piston end up in the intake manifold. He said if I were to have asked him 7 or so yrs ago, he would have said they just take the manfold off and put it back on after blowing it out. Now they always completely clean every part.

So now he takes apart my barely used motor, inspects everything (finds a couple other small mistakes - cam pulley hole ovalized on install, what looked like improper thread-locker on the ARP studs) and rebuilds it all.

Now of course the dealership doesn't want to take responsibility. Long story short, they wouldn't pay. I took my car home w/o paying my bill to them, paid the bill to Lachute (Julien did test-fit a KillerB sump, pick-up and tray, cleared my FR headers by about 4mm, so he gave me a great deal on them) and stuck the motor in myself. :cool: What I should have done all along.

In the end, I am out my car for 3+ months, and out a few grand. (although I did put 4800 kms on the dealerships courtesy car)

I would do business again in a heartbeat with Lachute. He was willing to ship the block back to his province (over 2000 kms away) and completely right the wrong, if the fault had been theirs. In the end, it wasn't Lachute's fault, but I really appreciate they they stepped up. He also did his best to help me out with pricing (cost on many parts, and other discounts) to lessen the pain for me.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
sucks to hear about your problems but glad you got them all sorted out. I don't think I would ever let a dealership install an aftermarket block. thanks for sharing. Live and learn!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts